<2000 1000 all comers fully balanced tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

1000 all comers fully balanced tournament

HQ 85
    Lord Commissar (with Blob)
    Power Fist love this guy
    Troops 575
    Platoon Command Squad
    2 Grenade launcher
    3 Infantry squads
    3 Grenade Launchers
    3 Autocannons This is the first time I have tried Blob Squads; is this a good build for them?
    Heavy Weapons Mortar squad I have not used Heavy weapon squads in a while and I miss them
    Heavy weapons Autocannon squad I could drop these if i need points elsewhere
    Special Weapon Squad (in valykerie)
    3 Flamer a Demo charge would be nice but i can't find the points
    Veteran Squad
    3 meltagun
    Chimera
    2 heavy flamers
    155 If the Chimera moves 12 inches can the Meltas still fire?

Fast Attack 190
    Valkyrie
    sponson heavy bolter
    110 It seems that people perfer the Vendetta, why is this?
    2 Scout sentinels
    Autocannons
    80 should I outflank these guys or deploy them normally? either way I plan to not put them in squadrons
    Heavy 150
    Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Are sponsons usually a good idea with our new codex?

I have taken a break from Imperial Guard for a while and now I'm back. My main opponent will be Tau but this list is designed to be all comers.

It is a pretty standard List that I want to make as compeitive as possible (without spamming chimeltas etc) I Feel like I crammed alot into a small amount of points and I'm not sure if this will end up helping me or not.

My comments on each unit are in Red.
    Any advice on the list will be greatly appreciated

"Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I'd switch the Lord Commissar out for a normal commissar if he's holding your blob togeather. Lord commissars can be singled out in combat so you will probobly lose him and have your blob run down.

Mortars arent great, you can use the points from them and the demotion of the Lord Commissar for a primaris psyker, they're great in low point games.

Chimeras arent great alone, you should take at least 2-3, plus your valkyrie if you want to rush your opponent, it looks like you just threw it in here because you saw other people using them but it doesnt really compliment your army list.

People prefer the vendetta for the anti tank ability, point for point it both kills more and kills vehicles/MCs which can pose problems en masse. If you do take a valkyrie though always go with the multiple rocket pods, the heavy bolters arent really worth it though because with a multi laser and 2 rocket pods you can fire at full effect moving 12", you can only fire 1 of either the two heavy bolters or the multi laser moving that speed so they slow your vehicle down to moving 6" per turn. The valks missiles are just crap, 1 shot ordance so you cant even fire both at the same time.

The sentinels can deploy or outflank, I use a unit of 2-3 with autocannons and they do great, if you need to stop transports turn 1 deploy if your opponent has a weak hold on rear objectives outflank. They can even tie up S3-4 units in combat, S4 ones will get to you eventually but even ork units with no powerklaws are suceptible to being tied up like this, (I did this after my opponent failed a death or glory attack, funny as hell).

Chimeras can only fire 1 weapon while moving and 99% of the time if you're in heavy flamer range you're either moving, should be moving, or stunned/shaken.

Models can only fire out of a transport if it moved at combat speed, so 6" or less and they count as moving if it moved.

Sponsons on russes are generally not a good idea, you're paying point for a weapon you will rarely use. If you want a stationary vehicle use artillary, if you want a mobile vehicle use a sponson-free leman russ.

That should be 990pts, by dropping the autocannon heavy weapon squad you can give your platoon command squad 4 meltaguns and a chimera.

So if we go back to my proposed changes your list would look like:

HQ
    Primaris Psyker

Troops
    PCS 2 grenade launchers
    Blob
    3 squads 3 autocannons 3 grenade launchers commissar power weapon
    HWS 3 autocannons
    SWS 3 flamers
    Veteran Squad 3 meltaguns chimera multi laser hull heavy flamer

Fast Attack
    Valkyrie multiple rocket pods
    2 scout sentinels autocannons

Heavy Support
    Leman Russ Battle Tank hull heavy flamer

This will give you a combined squad with a primaris psyker that can put out a ton of S6-7 shots and hold an objective as well as a strike force of 2 chimeltas and a valkyrie with a special weapon squad to take the fight to the enemy. The sentinels and Leman Russ can support either group with their decent mobility and long range weapons.

Hope that helps, if you made it through that wall of text you deserve all the help I can give you :p
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Good advice from KV there. One thing about if the chimera moves 12", can the squad fire? No they can't if they wish to fire from the hatch, hoovever if you really need to move 12" and fire meltas or rappidfire plasmas then they can if you get out of the chimera.

Move tank 12" and turn the rear hatch towards the enemy, now dismount 2" + the 1" of the base of the figures and fire another 12". The disadvantage of course is you are now bunched up an in the open so it has its downside but can be worth it if you kill an enemy target valuable enough or if you manage to wipe out enough enemy in that area that your squad doesnt get killed in the followup enemy turn.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

It would have to be a juicy target to risk assault or templates.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

no guts no glory.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Thats exactly what i needed!

HQ
    Primaris Psyker Troops
    Platoon Command Squad
    2 nade launcher
    3 Infantry squads
    3 Grenade Launchers
    3 Autocannons
    Commissar
    Power Weapon
    Heavy weapons
    Autocannon
    Special Weapon Squad
    3 Flamer
    Veteran Squad
    3 meltagun
    Heavy Bolter
    Chimera
    2 Heavy Bolter
    Fast Attack 210
    Valkyrie
    Rocket Pods
    2 Scout sentinels
    Autocannons

Heavy
    Leman Russ Battle Tank

I highlighted the changes in red
    I pretty much made the changes KV suggested as they seem solid to me.
    My Lone chimera may seem odd but I play it very defensivley using it for last turn objective grabs (if it ever survives that long) and as a counter charge type unit. I gave it 2 Heavy Bolters and the veteran squad a Heavy Bolter because in all my games it sits and waits for the enemy to get close. I also don't want to be "just another Chimelta" guard List and I don't really want to buy 3 chimeras, I would rather buy different models.

Thanks for the help everyone and keep the advice coming!
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Yeah safe is better than sorry. I can count on one hand the number of times my men optionally disembark in my games.
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

452 (x8)

Wow, two posts in the same minute, I guess I got ninja'd.

I'd still go ML/HF on your chimera, this way you can put it in reserve and try to keep it alive for long enough to attempt the late game objective grab.

I'd also like a vendetta more than the valkyrie in your list, it can take some heat off of your chimera squad and with only one it will be a priority target anyway. If you take this it may be a good idea to hold it in reserve just for the psycological edge.

You can use those 10 from the vets heavy bolter to give your platoon command squad 4 flamers, they can then replace your special weapon squad in the vendetta and this can help give you some more anti horde with one of the multi flamer units in the vendetta and one as a counter attack aid for the blob.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeevil View Post
    It would have to be a juicy target to risk assault or templates.
    Land Raiders full of Termies. Nuff said.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin vanrooyen View Post
    Wow, two posts in the same minute, I guess I got ninja'd.

I'd still go ML/HF on your chimera, this way you can put it in reserve and try to keep it alive for long enough to attempt the late game objective grab.

I'd also like a vendetta more than the valkyrie in your list, it can take some heat off of your chimera squad and with only one it will be a priority target anyway. If you take this it may be a good idea to hold it in reserve just for the psycological edge.

You can use those 10 from the vets heavy bolter to give your platoon command squad 4 flamers, they can then replace your special weapon squad in the vendetta and this can help give you some more anti horde with one of the multi flamer units in the vendetta and one as a counter attack aid for the blob.
    Hah Well I am a black belt! :p

I will try out the Chimera with different set ups, Hopefully the Russ will draw the fire away from it long enough to be useful. My only worry about keeping the chimera in reserves is thats 1 less vehicle to overwhelm my opponent with.

Since they are the same points I may swap out the valk for a vendetta if i am playing a vehicle heavy army, and this list does lack some Heavy Anti-Tank power so the Vendetta does look like a good choice. I assume you run your Vendetta without any extra equipment? Heavy bolters won't scratch most tanks but if I get a weapon destroyed result I would much rather lose a Heavy Bolter then a Lascannon.

I may drop the Heavy Bolter for 2 more flamers, but I am a bit of a heavy weapon freak so I'll playtest the list both ways and see what i like the most. I could always drop the special weapons squad and shuffle points around to bring Marbo or something
    Last edited by sendaf; March 8th, 2011 at 02:56.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast