<2000 Light armor swarm 1850 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Light armor swarm 1850

I was toying with the AV 12 mechanized army idea again and this looked interesting to me. I'm not married to the Griffons, but they looked like a cheap and accurate way to put some anti-infantry templates on the table. Part of this exercise is test the viability of PCSs as Vet squad substitutes. It also allows the fielding of ten Chimeras at 1850 points . The Hydras are as ever skimmer swatters. Let me know what you think.

HQ

CCS: 4x Melta, Chimera

Troops

Infantry Platoon 1
    PCS: 4x Melta, Chimera
    IS: Lascannon, GL, Chimera
    IS: Lascannon, GL, Chimera

Infantry Platoon 2
    IS: Autocannon, GL, Chimera

Infantry Platoon 3

Fast Attack

Hellhound w/ Hull MM

HellHound w/ Hull MM

Heavy Support

Hydra

Hydra

Griffon Battery (2)

Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

I used to play an army very similar to this one and I'll let you in on a secret. PCS with four flamers or three flamers and a heavy flamer are absolutely amazing. Wait for a rhino to run up and dump his SM's out, then drive up, get out and lay four templates on him. Suddenly you have close to 40 automatic hits from only four guys depending on how he exits the vehicle. Close to 40 automatic hits, now you're only rolling to wound which is great for IG... and since it's a ST 4 weapon you're gonna get close to 20 wounds. Assume that with power armor he fails 33% of those that's close to 7 dead SM's. I've had my flamer death squads wipe out every single space marine with just the weapons on the chimera and the four flame templates.

The reason you give veterans the melta guns is because they have BS 4, but give all your crappy BS 3 regular guardsmen flamers. If you're close enough, then you simply can't miss with a template.

Also, you have a lot of stuff in your army that has overlapping roles. If you have AC's in most of you IS, then there's really no need to have two hydra's. AC's are for taking out light armor and if you have a problem with that, then drop the AC's in the IS and keep a hydra or two.

If you have two hellounds, then there's really no need to have to have two griffons. Both vehicles are designed to take out light infantry and you really only need one or the other at 1850 points. Personally, I would change your list around just a little like this:

HQ

Company Command Squad (HQ) @ 145 Pts
    Meltagun (x4)
    1 Chimera @ [55] Pts
    Multi-laser; Hull Heavy Bolter

TROOPS

Infantry Platoon (Troops) @ 285 Pts

Platoon Command Squad @ [105] Pts
    Flamer (x4)
    1 Chimera @ [55] Pts
    Multi-laser; Hull Heavy Flamer

Infantry Squad @ [115] Pts
    Meltagun
    1 Chimera @ [55] Pts

Infantry Squad @ [65] Pts
    Plasma Gun

Flamer (x4)
    1 Chimera @ [55] Pts

Meltagun
    1 Chimera @ [55] Pts

Plasma Gun

Flamer (x4)
    1 Chimera @ [55] Pts

Meltagun
    1 Chimera @ [55] Pts

Plasma Gun

FAST ATTACK

Hellhound (Fast Attack) @ 135 Pts
    Hull Heavy Flamer; Smoke Launchers

Vendetta Gunship Squadron (Fast Attack) @ 130 Pts
    TL Lascannon; TL Lascannon (2)

Vendetta Gunship Squadron (Fast Attack) @ 130 Pts
    TL Lascannon; TL Lascannon (2)

HEAVY SUPPORT

2x Hydra Flak Tank Battery (Heavy Support) @ 150 Pts
    Hull Heavy Flamer

Leman Russ Battle Tank (Heavy Support) @ 150 Pts
    Hull Heavy Flamer

Leman Russ Battle Tank (Heavy Support) @ 150 Pts
    Hull Heavy Flamer

It's not perfect, but I just threw it together in a couple of minutes based off of your list.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

I appreciate the thought, but your revision does not answer the intended question of this list exercise. The PCSs in the initial post are to replace chimelta vets for about 30 points less each (Mathammer suggests that they should average the same number of hits as a 3 melta vet squad). The mech infantry squads are there to be objective squatters or late game grabbers if needed. The infantry squads will be supported by the Hydras and Griffons. The Hellhounds are to provide AV 12 flank support for the advance elements (the command squads) as well as the option of anti-armor or anti-horde fire on a fast chassis.

I'm not a fan of putting too many expensive special weapons in line squads due to the lack of numbers to make up for a mediocre BS. The standard loadout for the HF and ML on the Chimeras and the Hellhound's inferno cannon should address most close range template needs.

If I end up dropping the Griffons I'll either go with another pair of Hydras or a single LRBT. Their inclusion is to address an anticipated cluttered battlefield and to harrass longfangs or their ilk in the backfield.

Vendettas are cool models, but I don't think that they will be complementary to this list design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The PCS will make a good substitute.
    But I would change the meltas of one to plasma guns. You´re happy to have those AP 2 shots around very often. At least I am

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hallmarius View Post
    The PCS will make a good substitute.
    But I would change the meltas of one to plasma guns. You´re happy to have those AP 2 shots around very often. At least I am
    If I could comfortably find the 20 points, I'd throw them in the CCS. I'm hoping that the "extra" meltas will make up for the lack of plasma. There is some additional AP2 from the IS lascannons. For anti-infantry purposes (even MEQ), I'm relying on stacking wounds from Str 6 templates and massed multilaser fire.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Your original list seems pretty good; I can only make a couple suggestions.

I think a PCS is a perfectly fine replacement/substitute for a Veteran squad but I've have very indifferent results with multiple-meltagun units. I fear you'll have some serious traffic jams, getting those meltas into position; better to rely on lascannons and the Hellhound multimeltas, methinks. What about fielding the PCS with the exact same loadout as the infantry squads? Bodycount doesn't mean much in mechanized lists.

I see no need for a CCS. How about a Primaris Psyker for your HQ? He's got some good tricks for a mech list and will free up points for more upgrades. A Primaris with a quad-grenade launcher PCS will seriously mess up light armor and medium infantry.

I dislike the Griffon here because it's a large blast template. The enemy will, I expect, be eager to engage you at point blank range; this may make placing the template without touching a friendly unit very difficult. What about using a Russ Executioner instead? The multiple, small templates are easier to place and the list could use more anti-MEQ dakka. Imagine using a Chimera to tank-shock an enemy into bunching up and then popping smoke to protect itself from stray plasma shots as the Executioner slings those little templates. Could be effective. And fun!
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

I had not considered the Primaris. The range on a GL squad would be a better fit with the Primaris' range. I'll have to play with that to see what could be done with the extra points.

I've never been sold on the Executioner, the price is too high for my taste. I think that I'd be more inclined to grab a couple more Hydras. My big fear is SW or Emo-marine lists with 2 Stormravens loaded with assault units and dreads.

+ Reply to Thread