<2000 Gunline help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gunline help

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    421 (x8)

Gunline help

This is just a basic list I put together as I'm really tempted by the Guard codex, I want it to be a fun list but really heavy shooting but I don't want to fall into the traps of a leafblower army, this list won't be set in stone as I want to use a rengeades army from one of the Siege of Vraks books, I just haven't decided which one yet.

HQ
    CCS with regimental standard, 2 plasma guns, vox-caster and officer of the fleet 130pts

Troops
    Infantry Platoon 1
    PCS with a vox-caster and a commissar 70pts
    3 Infantry squads with vox-casters 165pts
    2 Heavy weapons squads with lascannons 210pts

Infatry Platoon 2
    PCS led by Captain Al'rahem with a vox-caster and a melta gun 115pts
    Chimera xxpts
    3 Infantry squads with melta guns amd vox-casters 195pts
    3 Chimeras xxxpts

Veteran squad with 3 plasma guns 115pts

Fast Attack
    Vendetta Gunship xxxpts
    Valkyrie with multiple rocket pods 130pts

Heavy Support
    LRBT with a lascannon 165pts
    Medusa with bastion breacher shells 140pts

This leaves me with 50pts left, the veterans will go in the normal valkyrie and obviously Al'rahem's platoon will be out falnking and go tank busting. I haven't got a clue what to put that last 50pts towards, I was thinking maybe camo cloaks for the CCS or put some special weapons in the first Infantry Platoon. Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi

It's been a while since I've played, but I can try and help you out.

HQ

Looks pretty good, you could try adding an Astropath to help with Al'rahem's outflanking, maybe get camo-cloaks too to give them a bit more survivability.

Troops

I'm not quite what to make of this, I wouldn't use a vox or a Commissar in the PCS. You have 3 infantry squads with no special or heavy weapons, and all with voxes. I would drop the vox and add some grenade launchers/autocannons instead.

Alternatively, since I see you have the lascannon teams, is to put the lascannons in the infantry squads, and group them up with a vox and commissar, giving something like this:

Infantry Squad w/ Lascannon, Vox, Commisar
    Infantry Squad w/Lascannon
    (Blob these 2)

Infantry Squad w/ Lascannon, Vox, Commisar
    Infantry Squad w/Lascannon
    (Blob these 2)

This will let you reliably twin-link the lascannons using orders, and add a lot more wounds to protect the important lascannons. That should work out to about 360 points.
    For the PCS, could try going Autocannon + 2 Grenade launchers to sit back and shoot, or give them 4 flamers and stick them in a Chimera or Valk/Vendetta

In Al'rahems platoon, I would again drop the voxes, as if I remember right, you can't give orders to units in vehicles, so they are wasted. I would use the saved points to add more meltas Al'rahems PCS.

I don't think you'll be doing much tank busting with your mechanized squads. 1 BS melta gun isn't that damaging, and you also can't be sure exactly when or where these units will come on (although astropath helps some). I would strongly consider dropping the 2nd platoon, and tanking some melta vets in a Chimera. For about the same points cost as Al'rahems platoon, you could have 3 squads of melta veterans in Chimera, giving you more mobility and anti-tank guns.

Fast Attack

While the valkyrie and vendetta are both good, I would warn against using one of each. A single one will likely get shot down too quickly, so it is good to have a back up. I usually go with 2 vendettas.

Heavy Support

A prefer to bring 2 demolishers, as they can threaten more than the LRBT can, but the LRBT are not really a bad choice. A would be careful with the medusa though, as AV 12/10/10 and open topped isn't too survivable, and bastion breacher shells will reduce its effectiveness against infantry, since it uses the smaller template. Could consider dropping it for something like a Manticore, so you can still drop S10 ordinance at range (2 demolishers + Manticore or LRBT has done well for me before).

I am a fan of the hybrid type lists, so hopefully I managed to help you out some.
    Last edited by Phillbrick; March 16th, 2011 at 08:21. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    421 (x8)

Thanks for replying. I've made some of the changes you recommended and came up with this.

HQ
    CCS with regimental standard, 2 plasma guns, vox-caster, camo cloaks and officer of the fleet 150pts

Troops
    Infantry Platoon 1
    PCS with a lascannon 50pts
    Infantry squad with a lascannon, vox and commissar 110pts
    Infatry squad with a lascannon 70pts

PCS with heavy bolter and 2 grenade launchers 50pts
    Infantry squad with a heavy bolter, vox and commissar 100pts
    Infatry squad with a heavy bolter 60pts

Veteran squad with 3 flamers and demolitions doctrine 115pts
    Chimera xxpts
    Veteran squad with 3 melta guns 100pts

Fast Attack
    Vendetta Gunship xxxpts
    Vendetta Gunship xxxpts
    3 Armoured sentinels with plasma cannons 225pts
    Heavy Support
    Leman Russ Demolisher with a lascannon 180pts

It has way more fire power than the other list and I've still got 30pts left to spend which i'm thinking of giving the plasma vets the grenaiders doctrine so if they decide to go suicidal on me, they've got a better chance of surviving. It's amazing how much you can fit in to a Guard list!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

You're definitely on the right track with the second list. I could recommend a couple more tweaks but, really, you're close enough that further debate would only be about preferences. I'll just say that a regimental standard is redundant with Commissars; since you're bring voxes as well, you could drop the Commies for more points. 20-man infantry blobs don't need to be Stubborn as badly as 30-man blobs do.

If you keep the list as is then spend those last 30 points on power weapons for the Commissars.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

421 (x8)

So if I dropped the commissars that would leave me 100pts, what would you recommend I get with those points?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Well, you could use an outflanking force of some kind to deter the old bum-rush tactic...maybe a Penal Legion? Or you could give the CCS a Chimera; it makes LOS easier to draw when issuing orders in addition to providing protection and optimal use of his plasma. Spend any leftover points upgrading the second platoon's heavy bolters.

Or just keep the Commissars as close-combat assists. With a power weapon, they can do some real damage.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Intrepid's suggestions, but I have never tried using the penal legions, so I can't say how effective they are. Depending on how many units out flanking you have, consider investing in an astropath.

On another note, I think it would be better to have the heavy flamer on the demolisher, as it will need to be getting closer in to be able to shoot. Personally, I would take 2 demolisher's with the hull heavy flamer, and one LRBT with lascannon. It should be the same points cost and will be a bit more threatening. Alternatively, you could take an executioner instead of a Russ, as I see you have 3 sentinels with plasma cannons, an executioner can drop 5 plasma cannon shots for about the same cost, just have to be sure to keep it protected.

The only concern I have is the lack of redundancy in some of your units. Guard units tend to be fragile, or inaccurate (or sometimes both), so it helps to double up on them. In the case of the platoons you could probably get away with one with lascannons and one with heavy bolters, (I prefer autocannons, and I believe many other players do too), but I see an issue with the vet squads you have. I would take 2 of the melta vet squads, as just having one would be too easy to kill, so I would swap one of the other vet squads you have for one with meltas.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

421 (x8)

I've taken out sentinels and a leman russ and given the CCS a chimera, put an executioner in, a valkyrie with rocket pods, added another lascannon to the 1st pcs and given the commissars power weapons as a points filler and that puts me band on 2000pts

HQ
    CCS with regimental standard, 2 plasma guns, vox-caster, camo cloaks and officer of the fleet 150pts
    Chimera xxpts
    Troops
    Infantry Platoon 1
    PCS with a lascannon 50pts
    Infantry squad with a lascannon, vox and commissar with a power weapon 120pts
    Infatry squad with a lascannon 70pts

PCS with a heavy bolter and 2 grenade launchers 50pts
    Infantry squad with a heavy bolter, vox and a commissar with a power weapon 110pts
    Infatry squad with a heavy bolter 60pts

Veteran squad with 3 flamers and demolitions doctrine 115pts
    Chimera xxpts
    Veteran squad with 3 melta guns 100pts

Fast Attack
    Vendetta Gunship xxxpts
    Vendetta Gunship xxxpts
    Valkyrie with multiple rocket pods 130pts
    Heavy Support
    Leman Russ Executioner with sponson plasma cannons 230pts
    Leman Russ Demolisher xxxpts

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

Is the Demo Vet squad in a Chimera but the Plas and Melta squads are in the Vendettas?

I'd rather have the Vets in Chimeras and let the Vendettas stay out of assault range, but I haven't really practicedd with alpha-striking yet.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

421 (x8)

Yeh, i don't think i'd get the points to put them in Chimeras and i'd like to keep the Vendettas although i might put one squad in the Valkyrie just to keep the opponent on their feet

+ Reply to Thread