<2000 New to Guard 1850 List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Guard 1850 List

1850 is the point value that most places I play at consider to be the norm so I have written up what I think is a good 1850 list. I need input from those of you who have experience. Thanks!

HQ
    Command Squad
    Melta x 3
    Master of the Fleet
    CHimera + Hvy Bolter

Elites
    Ogryn

Troops
    Platoon Command
    Missile Launcher
    Chimera +Hvy Bolter

Infantry Squad
    Chimera + Hvy Bolter

Infantry Squad
    Chimera + Hvy Bolter

Heavy Weapons Team
    Lasgun
    Missile x2

Platoon Command
    Missile Launcher
    Chimera + Hvy Bolter

Infantry Squad
    Commisar

Infantry Squad

Veteran Squad
    Sniper x3
    Heavy Bolter

Fast Attack
    Scout Sentinel
    Lascannon

Heavy
    Manticore

Manticore

Lemun Russ Battle Tank
    Lemun Russ Battle Tank
    Lemun Russ Battle Tank

So the Idea is to turtle with Manticore's in the back, protected by a ton of armour. Try to bring the Sentinel in the back ranks of their army to mess them up. Possibly have ogryns behind manticores to provde protection, or run them to draw fire.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey what's up jwh0142!
    Welcome to the Guard!

I see you are getting ready to use the Guard's strong point, shooting, pie plates, shooting pie plates, tanks, tanks, and tanks.

So some helpful advice for ya:

CCS: good, maybe find pts for one more melta just to max out that extra shooty goodness, and since meltas are short range weapons, maybe drop the 3 meltas for 2 plasmas, then you can shoot at 24" since they look like a static element, then double tap at 12"

*also, it seems like you are going for more of kinda a hybrid(maybe?) list here, since all of your chimeras have Heavy Bolters, Heavy Flamers are a free upgrade, and if any of your chimeras will be moving around for objective claiming or w/e the Heavy Flamers will come in handy.

Elites: Ogryn are fun(though most would say NOT competitive) they have nice guns and nice assault, here I would say it looks like they would do best as a really big expensive screen for your commissar blob(giving them a 4+ cover instead of a measly 5+ armor save) as they go for an objective, or some people use them as "counter-charge" after something comes in and kills one of your units then is left out alone

Troops: a PCS with 4 flamers in a chimera is gold, and can cause in upwards of 20+ wounds to most squads that get too close, but like I said this looks like a tank gunline so maybe keeping em back is fine, the Missile launchers are good for their versatility, but expensive, Autocannons and heavy bolters make up for the lack of ballistic skill with more shots, i.e. for the same cost as a ML, you can get an autocannon and a grenade launcher, 2 S7 and a S6 shot vs. 1 BS3 S8 shot

Seems like you are buying the infantry squads just for the Chimeras, but if you could get heavy weapons in them(Autocannons come to mind) it would increase their effectiveness, as I'm not sure what these squads are being used for, except to just sit in the chimera....the whole game... so they could fire the Multilaser/HB

The commissar blob could benefit from more squads, power weapons, and melta bombs if you have the points.

Mixing Heavy weapons is not too healthy as you usually end up having to pick which weapon would be most effective vs. your target, and the other weapon is therefore less effective, therefore a waste of points

Vets- pretty good setup, I would say maybe drop a chimera and add in Gunnery Sargeant Harker, so they get Infiltrate, an extra HB, and stealth(3+ cover save), though most would recommend maxing out with 3 special weapons and giving them a chimera, but all alone in their chimera they'd be a target priority

Fast Attack: Lascannon = not so great on anything with BS3, more shots=more effective for 50% hit rate, usually autocannons are preferred here for that extra shot with scout sentinels(also cheaper )

Heavy Support: This setup will bring the hurt like no other, the manticores are your only long range anti-tank, which is good, but maybe give them support with autocannons in the line squads to take out more transports

3 Leman Russes! 3!!!! While 3 LRBT will most certainly wipe a single squad from the board...per turn... they will probably also be your biggest target, and with immobilized=destroyed=not good for squadroning, but certainly good since if they are shooting at this squad, and they will have to, your other elements all get to shoot, and if they don't shoot them, they will kill, and kill, and kill some more

So that's my take on it,
    1.) More autocannons to take out transports
    2.) More long range anti-tank
    3.) Switch some of the heavy bolters on the chimeras for heavy flamers if you are capping objectives with em
    4.) Make the commissar blob bigger, and give em some bite to go with that bark in the form of either special weapons, power weapons, or both
    5.) Make a PCS a mobile flamer PCS to support the commissar blob and issue them First rank second rank behind the ogryn(also shoot with the ogryn, duh), then charge with the ogryn, and if anything is left after that(likely) FRFSRF them again, and if anything's left after THAT, you still have a flamer PCS to back em up.

Hope this gives you some food for thought, good luck!
    Let me know how this list or if you modify it how the modified version plays.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by jwh0142 View Post
    1850 is the point value that most places I play at consider to be the norm so I have written up what I think is a good 1850 list. I need input from those of you who have experience. Thanks!

HQ
    Command Squad
    Melta x 3
    Master of the Fleet
    CHimera + Hvy Bolter
    You will find that the Hull HF is better than the Hull HB in a short range squad like this

Elites
    Ogryn
    Drop these until you're familiar with how IG plays. You're paying terminator prices for a sub par model. The only configuration I've seen them work in is in a chimera with a lord commissar to push them around.

Troops
    Platoon Command
    Missile Launcher
    Chimera +Hvy Bolter
    Again drop the HB for the HF, it's a decent assault deterrent
    Infantry Squad
    Chimera + Hvy Bolter
    Infantry squads can take a special weapon. I recommend grenade launchers for their cost and flexibility. An autocannon would be another cheap upgrade to consider
    Infantry Squad
    Chimera + Hvy Bolter

Heavy Weapons Team
    Lasgun
    Missile x2
    HWS must take 3 heavy weapons. Autocannons or Lascannons are best
    Platoon Command
    Missile Launcher
    Chimera + Hvy Bolter

Infantry Squad
    Commisar

Infantry Squad

Veteran Squad
    Sniper x3
    Heavy Bolter
    Snipers are serious under-performers. meltas, plasmas or grenade launchers are preferred in that order.
    Fast Attack
    Scout Sentinel
    Lascannon
    Pricey
    Heavy
    Manticore

Manticore

Lemun Russ Battle Tank
    Lemun Russ Battle Tank
    Lemun Russ Battle Tank

I'd lose the manticores or two russes

So the Idea is to turtle with Manticore's in the back, protected by a ton of armour. Try to bring the Sentinel in the back ranks of their army to mess them up. Possibly have ogryns behind manticores to provde protection, or run them to draw fire.
    A lone scout sentinel is bolter bait. Ogryn are overpriced and fragile. At minimum, I'd drop two russes for hellhounds or vendettas and examine the loadouts of the infantry squads and the platoon command squads. A link to a guide you might find helpful is below. Sandwyrm has a solid grasp of mech lists and tactics.

the back 40k: The 4 Things Every 40K Army Needs To Have
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you both! Taking different portions of advice I changed the list around to incorporate more squad based heavy weapons. Also in thinking about their roles chimeras would in fact be better equipped with flamers. Let me know what you think!

HQ
    95 Lord Commissar, camo cloak, powerfist

Troops
    505 Infantry platoon
    Platoon command, power weapon, Autocannon, vox caster, chimera
    Squad, autocannon, vox caster
    Squad, autocannon
    Squad, autocannon
    HW Squad, 3 lascannons
    HW Squad, 3 lascannons

Veteran Squad
    165 3 meltaguns, plasma pistol, chimera w heavy flamer

Veteran Squad
    155 3 meltaguns, chimera w heavy flamer

Veteran Squad

Veteran Squad

Heavy Support
    Manticore
    Manticore
    2 leman Russ Battle tank

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

This is an improvement. I would drop a Russ or a Manticore and pick up a CCS. The large platoon will benefit from orders from a senior officer. Fire on my Target and Bring it Down are of particular utility. The Lord Commissar will help orders stick to the HWSs as they can use his Ld10 if he is in range. Adding a Commissar to a line squad will let the blob have an effective Ld of 9 and the stubborn USR. I would give at least one sergeant in a line squad a meltabomb to discourage tank shocking this unit. This list is considerably more dangerous than its predecessor.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

+ Reply to Thread