<1000 1,000pt Pedro Drop Pod List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    51 (x1)

1,000pt Pedro Drop Pod List

Hey guys,

All C&C are welcome. This is meant to be a 1,000pt competitive Space Marine List

HQ
    Pedro Kantor - 175

Elite
    Dreadnought - 160
    Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer
    Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon

Troops
    10 Tactical Marines - 225
    Flamer + Missile Launcher + Sgt w/ Combi-melta
    Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon

10 Tactical Marines - 240
    Flamer + Missile Launcher + Sgt w/ Combi-melta + Power Fist
    Drop Pod

5 Scouts - 100
    Camo Cloaks + Sniper Rifles + Missile Launcher

Fast Attack
    2 Attack Bikes - 100
    2 Multi-meltas

Strategy: Pedro with the first Tactical Squad and the Dreadnought arrive first turn. The Attack Bikes (and if necessary the Dreadnought) take out important armor units. Pedro and his squad take down an enemy infantry squad. The scouts hold home or far away objectives and the second Tactical Squad arrives using the first to Drop Pod's Locator Beacons. Pedro helps in the list, adding a power fist to the Tactical Squad and gives everyone a much needed extra attack (Since I'm that close, I'm almost guaranteed to be assaulted).

Questions of my own:
    I originally had Multi-Meltas on the Tactical Squads, but, so far, I've always been assaulted and never got to use them. So for a weapon that I might use once, I figured a longer range and more versatile weapon would be better. What do you guys think?

What do you think about the Attack Bikes. Though they have to speed towards my pods on the first turn, they usually get a shot off with their multi-meltas and do the job. Are they still worth it in your opinions and what about in larger games?

Last one, I promise. For larger versions of this list I am considering using Ironclads. How do you guys equip and use them? Would you make them arrive first turn (as apposed to the regular Dreadnoughts) or wait in reserve?

Thanks in advance.
    Also, since I have all the models I've tried to play-test this rigorously and I came here to hopefully fine tune this list for all-comers.

Last edited by Tacitus Aemilius; March 26th, 2011 at 00:20.
    Space Marines are like gravity. It's not just a good idea. It's the Law.
    -Aemilius

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad list, but what is the point of spending 175 points on Pedro if you're not taking Sternguard?

Consider this:

Pedro- 175

Sternguard x 6: 6 combi-melta- 220
    Razorback

Sternguard x 9: 7 combi-melta- 295
    Rhino

Sniper Scouts: ML- 85

Sniper Scouts: ML- 85

Dreadnought (Melta/HF, lose the Locator Beacon)- 150

Total: 1000

You lost the attack bikes, which are great, but you've still got tons of melta and you're 3x as killy as you were before. You've got more scoring units and you've got a solid base of the most versatile unit IN THE GAME in mounted SG. The scouts sit on your home objective, if they actually do anything, that's a bonus and you're dread still comes crashing down to distract opponents from charging your SG. Drive them around together rapid firing to death and you don't need to use your melta sparingly because you have enough to last the whole game.

Take SG; they're awesome. If you really want that attack bike, cut out 10 combimeltas from your SG.....see where I'm coming from, you don't need them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If pods are the models you have, there's absolutely no problem with that, I just prefer the flexibility of apc's.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cmac2786
    what is the point of spending 175 points on Pedro if you're not taking Sternguard?
    Seconded. Besides, using Pedro just for the attack bonus isn't efficient.

This being a 1k list, I recommend using only two Pods. Swap a Tactical for a 10-man Sternguard squad; they can have one Pod and the Dread can keep the other. Put Pedro with the Scouts; they need his support much more than the Sternguard and his orbital bombardment will be easier to use.

With this configuration, you can either alpha-strike with the Sternguard (if your opponent seems vulnerable) or send in the Dreadnought first as a tarpit/movement barrier (if your opponent tries something sneaky like starting everything in reserve).
    And the other Tactical squad can provide fire support or late-game reinforcement.

You don't need the locator beacons, not when all but one Pod come on Turn 1. Use the points to bulk up your Scouts instead.

---

Podding Tactical squads aren't likely to ever use their heavy weapons. It really doesn't matter what you equip them with.

Attack bike squads are excellent in smaller games but become very vulnerable to instant death/charges in larger ones. Still, they're a way to be different without sacrificing much effectiveness, if you get the hang of protecting them from close combats.

Ironclads are useful in Pod lists. They aren't fast so use them to deny objectives to an enemy rather than run down enemy transports. They're good tarpits, even against powerfist-equipped units. The only upgrade I recommend would be HK missiles, to give a little ranged support on the drop.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

At 1000pts, Pedro is way way overpriced for what he gives the army. I wouldn't start looking at including Pedro until I hit about 2000pts, personally.

+ Reply to Thread