<2000 1500 pts infantary company for casual play - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pts infantary company for casual play

company command sq 110
    lascannon
    caraspace
    lascannon

marbo XXpts

6 ratlings 60

platoon command squad 50
    vox caster
    1 autocannon
    1 genade launcher

2 combined infantary squads 125
    2 genade launchers
    2 mortars
    vox caster

special weapons squad 55
    1 demo charge

heavy weapons squad 75
    3 autocannon

heavy weapons squad 105
    3 lascannnon

platoon command squad 50
    vox caster
    1 autocannon
    1 genade launcher

2 combined infantary squads 125
    2 genade launchers
    2 mortars
    vox caster

special weapons squad 55
    1 demo charge

heavy weapons squad 75
    3 autocannon

heavy weapons squad 105
    3 lascannnon

veterans squad 95
    autocannon
    3 genade launchers

veterans squad 95
    autocannon
    3 genade launchers

5 rough riders 60
    meltabombs (sgt)

5 rough riders 60
    meltabombs (sgt)

veteran squad 125
    3 plasmaguns
    lascannon

total 1500

Relatively new to warhammer 40k could use some advice

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Welcome to the Guard! You've made the right choice, recruit.

So you're keen on an infantry-heavy list, it seems. A solid choice, but you're coming from the wrong angle. Infantry-focused lists need to be based around the "blob squad", a unit of combined infantry squads with at least one Commissar included. This combination prevents the leadership problems common to Guard and protects your heavy weapon teams. (HW squads are notorious for fleeing the game at the first casualty.)

I recommend adopting the following framework for your first 1500 list.

Company Command Squad (CCS)

Platoon 1
    Platoon Command Squad (PCS) with special weapons in Chimera
    Two infantry squads with a Commissar, each with either an autocannon, missile launcher or lascannon.

Platoon 2, same

Two Russes, either the battle cannon or Demolisher cannon variant (I recommend hull lascannons but no sponsons)

(Space for whatever you like)

This gives you all three components of a successful Guard list:

1. Reliable home-objective holder(s). They keep you from losing.

2. A mechanized (or outflanking) aggressive element. They earn you the win.

3. Lots of shooting. This is why you chose Guard in the first place, yes?

How does it work? The CCS can give each 21-man combined squad an order to improve their performance. Meanwhile, the PCS can advance to new objectives or the enemy lines and the Russes will give you ordnance support. Depending on what you like about this basic list, you'll have a better idea what theme you'd enjoy playing...and none of the models you need to purchase for this will be wasted, whatever you choose. Just proxy your special weapon models until you commit.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a pretty good list, like Intreprid reccommended i would put in a few russes and the only russ u should put sponsons on is the executioner. I highly reccommend valkries or vendettas w/ vets in side them to get to the objectives faster. Plus if you do this make sure the vets have demolitions and plasma guns or melta guns. The 1 thing i would like to point out is that this list is illigal because you can only have 1 heavy weapons team in your CCS where you have 2. I also reccomend sending your CCS up in a chimera w/ meltas because the BS4 is very rare w/ the guard.

Hope i was some help and good luck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much for the advice. I was hoping to stick to pure infantry without tanks ( I know it's probably a massive disadvantage but i prefer/have pure grunts ). would you recommend the special captain Al'Rahem to give me some outflanking. sorry about the illegal CCS. I get adding commissars to my combined squads would be a good idea for them (ld10 for orders), but i don't get how a normal commissar would help the heavy weapons squads. A lord commissar would have the same/better effect for my firebase?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having thought about the advice for a while i have come up with a revised army list. I hope that captain Al'Rahem can give me an outflanking attacking force as suggested by Intrepid (thanks). I removed a veterans squad and the ratlings to give me the requisite points. I didn't include a commissar in my squads (just going to rely on the vox) and I didn't want to spend the points to get a (fragile) lord commissar. I plan to use one platoon to hold my home objectives and one to outflank and capture the enemy's. My rough riders are going to hide/stay in reserve before coming on and moping up any squads attacking my home formation. I included a master of ordinance on the view that my command squad is going to spend a lot of time sitting still and it only takes one lucky shot to earn back his points. The Astropath is I think pretty obvious.
    Any more advice is very welcome. Do I have enough Anti-tank/ monstrous creatures as i am going to be playing nids and a mechanised sm army. Thanks again for the advice

company command sq
    lascannon
    caraspace
    vox caster
    master of ordanance
    astropath
    flamer 160

marbo XX

platoon command squad
    vox caster
    1 autocannon
    1 genade launcher 50

2 combined infantary squads
    2 genade launchers
    2 mortars
    vox caster 125

special weapons squad
    1 demo charge
    flamer 60

heavy weapons squad
    3 autocannon 75

heavy weapons squad
    3 lascannnon 105

platoon command squad
    vox caster
    3 meltaguns
    Al'rahem
    caraspace 155

2 combined infantary squads
    2 genade launchers
    vox caster 115

special weapons squad
    1 demo charge
    flamer 60

heavy weapons squad
    3 autocannon 75

heavy weapons squad
    3 lascannnon 105

veterans squad
    autocannon
    3 genade launchers 95

rough riders
    meltabombs 60

rough riders
    meltabombs 60

veteran squad
    3 plasmaguns
    lascannon 135

total 1500
    Last edited by Collingwood; March 29th, 2011 at 06:42.

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

edit: I was typing this before I saw your most recent post

Only the Lord Commissar would help your HW squads. It is a lot of points just for that purpose though...

Anyways, the problem I see here is that even if you are trying to be "friendly" you still will have to depend on Commissar-led blobs to try and take objectives. Without artillery, you can't even try to pound your opponent off a hidden objective. This is why mech rules these days.

The other problem is your army can't really deal with 14 armor vehicles. A lascannon needs a 4+ to hit, then 5 to glance/6 to pen, and then still has to roll for damage. Emperor forbid he also has cover.

So unless you are just playing a buddy who promises not to take a couple of Land Raiders or even Russes or Battlewagens, you will simply get abused. Without significant Meltagun delivery (mech), your only real defense is the Demolisher, the Medusa or the Manticore. Each of these is S10 and rolls two dice for penetration (pick the higher) due to ordinance rules. The Medusa also has Bastion Breachers, which are nice for when you absolutely have to penetrate.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by RecklessFable; March 29th, 2011 at 06:44.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

The new list is getting better.

Your combined squads have no way to deal with tank shock. You at least need meltabombs.

Rough Riders are horrible (yes I know there is a whole thread arguing about this, but my opinion stands). Two small squads cost the same as a number of better options.

Mortars should be upgraded to autocannons. I've fielded NINE mortars before and had marines simply walk up to me and obliterate the squads. I think I killed one with the mortars.
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the advice it has given me a lot to think about. I was hoping that combined with "bring it down" the hw lascannon teams could deal with tanks, I'll admit that landraiders/monolith's with all round 14 armour could be tricky, hopefully Al'rehem's Lascannon armed hw squad can get some good side armour shots in (autocannons as well). I'll get some meltaboms for the infantry squads by dropping the flamer on my ccs and 2 rough riders (combining the others). I think i will also add another flamer to each of my special weapons squads. I will, on your advice change the mortars for auto-cannon, although i don't see how this would especially help against 3+ save space marines. I mostly wanted the mortars to help out with troops in cover (hiding).

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I didn't include a commissar in my squads (just going to rely on the vox)
    Danger! One of the few hard truths about playing Guard is that shooting alone can't win the game in 40k; the rules are geared too heavily towards close combat. We can't win combat, generally, but Commissars let us play the attrition game. There is a massive difference between losing a 150-point unit as soon as they're charged and losing a 200-point unit after four rounds of tying up the enemy.

A tooled-up Commie-blob squad can even be effective in close combat. My 31-man platoon with four power weapons is hated outright by my local opponents. (Tip: This is the best way to run Al'Rahem's platoon. It's a safe bet that his men will be in combat from the moment they arrive so load them up with bodies, grenades, power weapons and Commissars rather than ranged weapons that will miss at least two turns of shooting.)

I recommend Stormtroopers for your anti-heavy tank needs.

i don't see how [autocannons] would especially help against 3+ save space marines.
    It's not that autocannons kill Marines, it's that they kill the Marines' Rhinos and Razorbacks. This buys you an extra turn or two of shooting while they get out and walk over.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

The argument for autocannons:

They wound most infantry on a 2+, therefore they force more saves to be taken.

Since the current edition of the game makes cover easy to get, most of the time infantry is getting 4+ cover saves. Therefore a marine armor save is only a difference of 3+ vs 4+, rather than 3+ vs. nothing.

S7 autocannons also can hurt transports

Mortars can't hurt Rhinos and need a 6 to even glance Dark Eldar anf IG transports.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast