<2000 Mechanized platoon list 2nd attempt 1850. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Mechanized platoon list 2nd attempt 1850.

The working assumption in this list is that more is better. This idea has worked well for me with IG. It also offers a format to silence those who cry cheese due to the of excessive use of mech vets. This list employs PCSs as a replacement for meltavets. Statistically they perform about as well with a higher potential damage output for 30 points less per squad. Have a look and let me know what people think.

HQ

CCS: 4x Meltagun, PF, 2x Bodyguard, Krak Grenades, Chimera

Troops

Infantry Platoon 1:
    PCS: 4x Meltagun, Krak Grenades, Chimera
    IS: Autocannon, Chimera

Infantry Platoon 2:

Infantry Platoon 3:

Fast Attack

Hellhound: Hull MM

Hellhound: Hull MM

Hellhound: Hull HF

Heavy Support

Demolisher: Hull HF

Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

You know with this kind of setup, lascannons might actually work better than autocannons.........huh......never though I'd say that. Maybe drop one of the hounds and get another mounted infantry squad if possible. The Krak grenades and body guards aren't really needed. I won't comment on the powerfist as I know you love that model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

I think this list is pretty good, but I would honestly find a way to swap maybe some hellhounds or something for another demolisher. I basically build lists the same way that I used to plan operations when I was a military planner: One plan is not a plan, two plans is one plan. This basically means that if you have one way of completing a certain objective in the game, then you basically have nothing because if it is significantly disruptive to your opponent, then he will have no problem dispatching a single threat.

Double that threat, however, and suddenly he has to get pretty lucky.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

I think you need lascannons in there somewhere for longe range anti-tank work, I guess you could either give them to the ISs as Hockeyman suggested, or drop a couple of Hellhounds for vendettas.

Otherwise, nice list. I was thinking of trying out a similar setup by including some static platoons with melta PCSs in my usual vet army.
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

I think that the easiest fix would be to drop the Hellhound with the hull HF for a Vendetta. That would add three TL lascannons without sacrificing any of the squad autocannons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Something to consider would be dropping the demolisher for some artillary to gobwith the static element, a manticore would give you similar anti infantry or anti tank and would be easy to hide. Then id drop some of the unnecessary upgrades, the bodyguards powerfist and krak grenades you coukd use the points for an officer of the fleet to delay your opponents reserves and grenade launchersbfor the platoon squads. That should leave you with 10 points which is.enough to give i beleive can give two of your hellhounds smoke launchers.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin vanrooyen View Post
    Something to consider would be dropping the demolisher for some artillary to gobwith the static element, a manticore would give you similar anti infantry or anti tank and would be easy to hide. Then id drop some of the unnecessary upgrades, the bodyguards powerfist and krak grenades you coukd use the points for an officer of the fleet to delay your opponents reserves and grenade launchersbfor the platoon squads. That should leave you with 10 points which is.enough to give i beleive can give two of your hellhounds smoke launchers.
    The Demolisher's job in this list is to be up front and scary. Demolishers make nice bullet sinks. If they make effective use of the Demolisher cannon, it's a bonus in my book. OoF is a lot less effective than he used to be. DoA, Psychic Communions and any number of other bits more than offset his utility. I'm more than happy to have a pair of bodyguards for the same points. Smoke would be ok on the Hellhounds but, I've yet to see the situation where they werent shooting first turn.

The artillery is a decent idea, but I have found that this mix works better for me and my play style. I also love the look of terror on an opponent's face when you drop 14 tanks on the table. I may eventually branch out into a hybrid force once I have another 100 infantry painted, but this should work for now.
    Last edited by IronWeevil; April 5th, 2011 at 00:33.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeevil View Post
    I think that the easiest fix would be to drop the Hellhound with the hull HF for a Vendetta. That would add three TL lascannons without sacrificing any of the squad autocannons.
    I don't think Vendettas are the key here. If you do that it's too easy to focus on that single threat. If you spread 6+ lascannons (random number of course) around in line squads (with chimeras) it's hard to single out a threat and you have the option of shooting at 6+ different targets rather than just 2. Yeah the BS3 kinda suck, but that's why you have a crap-ton of guns.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyman506 View Post
    I don't think Vendettas are the key here. If you do that it's too easy to focus on that single threat. If you spread 6+ lascannons (random number of course) around in line squads (with chimeras) it's hard to single out a threat and you have the option of shooting at 6+ different targets rather than just 2. Yeah the BS3 kinda suck, but that's why you have a crap-ton of guns.
    It's a valid argument, but the way that I look at it is that the Vendetta is additive. I still have 6 autocannons (and up to 10 multilasers) aimed down-range and a relatively scary vehicle to carry three TL lascannons. Will the Vendetta draw fire? Almost certainly, and that is a good thing. Bear in mind that the Vendetta will not be working in isolation. It will be sharing the hate limelight with a Demolisher and two Hellhounds. The primary job of all of these assets is to buy time for the melta squads to get into threat range and to control the flow of the field. Part of my purpose in using relatively high threat vehicles with perceived vulnerability is to soak up turns of shooting that should be more properly directed at scoring units.

+ Reply to Thread