<2000 A Grey Connundrum 1500 (with added inquisitor fun) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Grey Connundrum 1500 (with added inquisitor fun)

Hello people of Librarium,

I have always liked the Grey Knights (which is strange as I shun every other Imperial Force) and with the release of the new grey knights codex blah blah...

Anyway, i have written a list I am (or was) happy with until I had another quick run through of rules and I hit a snag. You will see what i mean.

HQ-326

Grand Master
    Rad and psychotroke grenades

Xenos Inquisitor
    Conversion Beamer
    Psyker
    Psychotroke Grenades
    2 Servo skulls

Elite-528

Vindicare Assassin
    Callidus Assasin

5 Purifiers
    2 Incinerators
    3 pairs of nemesis falchions

Henchman warband (Inquistor's ablative wounds)
    2 Crusaders
    Jokearo (added anti tank and monkey shenanigans)
    2 Death Cult assassins (combat counter attack if opponent assaults squad)
    2 Warrior accolytes

Troops-445

5 terminators
    pair of Falchions
    3 Halberds
    Daemon hammer

10 man Strike squad
    2 Psycannons
    psybolt ammo

Heavy Support-200

Dreadknight
    Heavy Psycannon
    heavy Incinerator
    =====
    Now the cunning plan I had in mind involved was depending on opponent, I would either footslog everything or deepstrike everything bar the Inquisitor, the henchman and the vindicare.

Here is the snag. On a re-read of the codex I discovered that purifiers cannot deep strike unless there is a ruling i have missed. This has led to two solutions which I require advice on.

Option 1. Swap out the grand master for a stormraven to ferry the Purifiers.
    Pros: Awesome model, added anti tank from SR guns,
    Cons: Removes grand master, lose added troop capping powers, Anti tank magnet.

Option 2. keep grand Master but use his ability to grant Scouts to Purifiers so they can outflank. (A suedo Deep strike if you will)
    Pros:Keep GM who is frankly awesome, 0 target priority for enemy anti tank (apart from the Dreadknight I guess)
    Cons:Lose access to the awesome Stromraven model, lose flexibility of grand strategy unless footslogging

Now there are likely many more options which i would love to hear but mainly, which option would you suggest?
    Secondly, is the list any good?

Not dead, just sleeping

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: GM is fine. I would drop Psyko grenades if you are short of points at the end. =][= is a puzzler. If he is for long range fire support then why not run with a long range retinue. Drop his grenades and psyker ability and take a retinue of HB/PC servitors, 1-2 jokero and acolites with storm bolters and 3 plasma guns. If you want a combat monster give the =][= rad grenades and the psyker upgrade and take 2 servitors with servo arms, 3 meltagun warriors, and a mix of crusaders and deathcults.

Elites: drop the callidus. She can't deepstrike and charge anymore so you end up sitting there like a lemon while the enemy shoot you. Purifiers could do with a hammer in case a dread or vehicle present themselves.

Troops: Good. Improve your body count by spending the callidus points here on another GKSS

Heavy: Fine.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice mad cat, its most appreciated but do you have any theories on which option I should take out of the two?

Secondly, does anyone have any ideas for models for Warrior accolytes holding storm bolters? Are people just using Guardsmen?

on another note, is the notion of 'meching up' disregarded for Grey Knight? What i mean is, for every other Marine Equivalent army (perhaps not Blood angels) advice tends to be get a rhino.

Anyway thanks again for the advice.
    Not dead, just sleeping

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I would go for the fire support retinue option and use the GM to make them scoring in objective missions. As long as they are near a home objective and in cover they will do well.

Lots of marine players will have spare storm bolters as they get 5 in a termie box then use a few flamers or assault cannon on their figures. mounting them on cadians may be a bit of a challenge. Grey knight storm bolters may be better mounted sideways with the magazines at the bottom and a handle from a bolter or lasgun. You might even be able to put a lasgun stock on them if it fits.

Mechanising is ok if you use Dreads as heavy support. Going with the philosophy that you should take lots of vehicles or none at all. Adding razorbacks would be my preference for the fire support and to put dreads behind them then a librarian casts shrouding and some transports pop smoke and everyone gets a 3+ cover save. However putting grey knights in transports shuts off their shooting and you loose a lot of stormbolter fire by sitting in a taxi for 1-2 turns. I prefer to footslog with 30-50 stormbloters blasting away with psycannon mixed in. For footslogger list adding dreadknights is better as 1-2 dreads would just get concentrated on by all the enemy antitank fire.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

+ Reply to Thread