<2000 Critique on my friendly 1750 SW army. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Critique on my friendly 1750 SW army.

Hello everybody.

I would like for you to give me some constructive critique and advice on my armylist.

HQ:
    Rune priest(living lightning, murderous hurricane): Chooser of slain, wolf tail talisman. 115 pt
    Wolf priest: saga of hunter, wolf tail talisman. 115 pt

Troop:
    8 Grey hunters: melta gun, mark of the wulfen, wolf standard. Rhino with extra armor 200 pt.
    8 Grey hunters: melta gun, mark of the wulfen, wolf standard. Rhino with extra armor 200 pt.

Elites:
    3 Wolf guards(troop pack leaders): 1 power fist/combi-plasma, 2 frost blades. 119 pt.
    5 Wolf scouts: 4 melta bombs, mark of the wulfen. 110 pt.
    1 Dreadnought: assault cannon, heavy flamer, extra armor. Drop pod. 165 pt.

Fast:
    1 Land speeder Typhoon: heavy bolter. 90 pt.
    1 Land speeder Typhoon: heavy bolter. 90 pt.

Heavy:
    1 Vindicator: siege shield. 125 pt.
    1 Vindicator: siege shield. 125 pt.
    5 Long fangs: 4 heavy bolters. 95 pt.

Total: 1749

This will be my first attempt to make and army list with my space wolves and I am fairly new to 40k, but have played some games with regular marines. I do not want to use Jaws, as I think it is to powerful for casual games, the same to using 3 squads of long fangs with missile launcher. I am very fond of wolf scouts and will maybe include more of them, if I can. Advices on how to make this list work and some improvements on it, would be nice.

My usual opponent is a very good Tau-player, that uses lots of marker lights to remove my cover saves, and crisis suits with plasma gun and broadsides. I also play against Eldar and Space marines.

Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Trolbri View Post
    This will be my first attempt to make and army list with my space wolves and I am fairly new to 40k, but have played some games with regular marines.
    Welcome to the Legion of Russ

I do not want to use Jaws, as I think it is to powerful for casual games,
    Jaws is not over powering at all, and against your usual opponents it will hardly be worth it anyways. The exception to this is Tau, his battle suits will fall easily. I rarely use it, and the set up you have for your priest is perfect.

the same to using 3 squads of long fangs with missile launcher.
    Well, then your opponents will shoot you to bits. Especially the Tau player. It is difficult to win a game playing Space Wolves without fire support. Every good Space Wolf list sits around a strong base of fire, whether it's Long Fangs, or Cyclone Missile Launchers on your Terminators, or even Typhoon Speeders. Your Heavy Support isn't bad, but as your list is pretty smash-mouth, you should just drop the Long Fangs completely and the Siege shields on your Vindies. This will allow you to pick up another Vindicator.

I am very fond of wolf scouts and will maybe include more of them, if I can.
    Scouts are great... If taken in moderation. The best squad of scouts you can take is a cheap squad of scouts, as they are a suicide unit. I've found that they work best taken like this: 5 Scouts with Melta Gun, Attached Wolf Guard with Combi-Melta. You can give him a fist if you have the points left over.

So, lets go over some things really quick. You HQ's are good, but I wouldn't bother with the Wolf Priest. He is pretty sub par when compared to our other HQ's. Because this list is so "in your face" I would add someone who is at least "good" in combat. This means either a Wolf Lord, or a Special Character. If this is the route you want to go, then drop a Typhoon to pay for it. Your elites section is ok, or at least 2 of the 3 slots are. A Dreadnought in a pod needs a Multi Melta! Not an assault cannon. Although I have tried 2 Auto Cannons, and that works pretty well (assuming you can get rear armor.) Also, if you want to keep this Dreadnought, I would drop the extra armor. This Dreadnought really only has 1 role. It will keep your opponent from using all his AT fire on your transports. He is a distraction at best (A distraction that if you are lucky enough may get a kill). I personally would drop him. The Extra Armor on your Rhino's is pretty worthless. With these points, and if you choose to drop the Dreadnought, you can add another squad of Grey Hunters and a Wolf Guard. The Typhoons really have no synergy here. Don't get me wrong, long range shooting is awesome, but as you only have 2 armor 10 vehicles dedicated to tank hunting, they are going to go down quickly. Try dropping them for more in your face units. I would go with a Squad of Thunder Wolves. With all the previous points dropping, you can add 2 equipped like this 2 ThunderCav with 2 Storm Shields and a Thunder Hammer.

On the whole, it isn't a terrible list, but with the improvements I have suggested it will be better. I would try something like this:

HQ:
    Rune priest(living lightning, murderous hurricane): Chooser of slain, wolf tail talisman. 115 pt

Troop:
    8 Grey hunters: melta gun, mark of the wulfen, wolf standard. Rhino 185 pt.

Elites:
    4 Wolf guards(troop pack leaders): 3 power fist/Combi-Melta, 1 Combi-Melta. 152 pt.
    5 Wolf scouts: Melta Gun. 85 pt.

Fast:
    2 ThunderWolf Calvary: 2 Storm Shields, Thunder Hammer. 190 pt.

Heavy:
    1 Vindicator: 115 pt.

This list is 1742 points, and I would say very similar to your previous one (or at least as similar as I could make it, will keeping it competitive and to your specifications). Hope this helped.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Wolf Guard for your inputs.

I see that my list needs a little bit of optimizing.

Thunderwolves will be in my list, when GW releases their own models, until then I do not have the option of including them i my list.

Sadly I don't have another vindicator, but I have 3 magnetized predators, would they work instead of the 3 vindicators to be the firebase you were talking about?

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

The problem with Predators in the Wolf dex is, well, they suck compared to long fangs. On a strict points vs effectiveness the Long Fangs will do way more good in just about any list. Just because GW hasn't released T-Wolves, doesn't mean you can use them. James Hakola made the Thunderwolves that I currently use, and they are great. Not much more pricey than I am expecting GW's to be. Here's a link: Mr.Dandy sculpture design, toys model kits and art figures - WarGamma Battle Wolves If you want to use Predators, then I would do something like this:

Q:

Troop:

Elites:
    4 Wolf guards(troop pack leaders): 3 power fist/Combi-Melta, 1 Combi-Melta. 152 pt.
    5 Wolf scouts: Melta Gun. 85 pt.

Fast:
    Land Speeder: Typhoon Missile Launcher. 90 pt.
    Land Speeder: Typhoon Missile Launcher. 90 pt.

Heavy:
    Predator: Sponson Lascannon's, Autocannon Turret. 120 pt.

This list is going to be 1747 points, and play in a completely different way. With this much armor saturation, your deployment zone will look like a Kansas truck stop.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been thinking of the advices that Wolf Guard gave me and I came up with a new and (hopefully) better, stronger list, with the needed fire support, that can take on almost things.

HQ:
    Rune Priest (living lightning, murderous hurricane), Chooser of slain, Wolf tail talisman 115

Troops:
    8 Grey hunters, Meltagun, Mark of the wulfen, Wolf standard, Rhino 185

Elites:
    3 Wolf Guards, 1 Power fist, 1 combi plasma, 2 frost axe 119
    2 Lone Wolf, TDA, 2 Storm Shield, 2 Chain fist 170
    5 Wolf Guards, TDA, 2 combi melta, 2 combi plasma, 3 Wolf Claws, 1 chain fist, Cyclone 245

Heavy:
    5 Long fangs, 2 Missile launcher, 2 Plasma Cannon 135
    5 Long fangs, 2 Missile launcher, 2 Lascannon, 145
    Land raider Godhammer, Extra armor, 265

Total 1749

One of GH squads will be sitting on the home objective with the rune priest with them. The 2 other squads will drive forward, each with a lone wolf, walking/running behind the rhinos, for CC support. The long fangs will soften up my opponent from a distance. The Land raider with the TDA WG will go where it is needed an will add a little fire support with its lascannons.

I do not want to buy Mr. dandy thunderwolves, not because they aren't cool, but because I live in Europe, I have to pay the price, shipment and some insane taxes, because of some stupid laws. So for now I cannot have Thunderwolves in my army...
    Last edited by Trolbri; April 27th, 2011 at 09:51.

+ Reply to Thread