Librarium Online Forums banner

Vanilla Marines 2000 pt "Shoot n' Smash" list

<2000 
491 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  HaloBFS 
#1 ·
2000 pt Vanilla Marines List
Hello all, I am just getting back into the hobby and have played only 4 games using the current edition. I used to run (4th ed) a somewhat balanced list that used 5 or 6 troop choices, but have found that i need more flexibility, mvmnt, and firepower while at the same time being able to survive a barrage of heavy fire from my opponents. (and still take/hold objectives) The following list is what I've come up with:

HQ
Master of Forge : (no extras) strictly for the ability to use dreads as hvy, while increasing the cover save of one area terrain for my Rifleman Dread

Librarian w/Terminator Armor: (nullzone/quickening) mounted in LR Redeemer and attached to Assault Terminators

Elite
Assault Terminators: 2 LC, 3 TH. mounted in LR Redeemer
LR Redeemer: multi-melta

Ironclad Dreadnought: mounted in drop pod

Ironclad Dreadnought: mounted in drop pod

Heavy
Rifleman Dreadnought: 2 twin-linked auto-cannon, 1HK missile

Predator: hull mounted auto-cannon, 2 las-cannon side-sponsons

Predator: hull mounted auto-cannon, 2 las-cannon side-sponsons

Troops
Tactical Squad: 3 marines, 1 flamer, sgt.
mounted in razorback w/ twin-linked las-cannon

Tactical Squad: 3 marines, 1 flamer, sgt.
mounted in razorback w/ twin-linked las-cannon

Scout Squad: 4 scouts and sgt all w/shotguns
(mounted in landspeeder storm)

Scout Squad: 4 scouts and sgt all w/shotguns
(mounted in landspeeder storm)

Fast Attack
Landspeeder Storm: multi-melta

Landspeeder Storm: multi-melta

All critiques and suggestions welcome! :)
as a side note, I had initially given a conversion beamer to the MOtF and put him on a bike, but found the CB to be inadequate at best... maybe if the darned thing hit instead of scattering I'd be happier. Also, I had given the Librarian a storm shield, while running both of my predators with autocannon only (no side sponsons). After facing a space marine army with oodles of tanks loaded with tons of fire-power, I thought to shift things around, making my predators a bit more deadly, thus giving me more power in the can-opening department... 3 multi-melta, 2 melta-gun, 2 twin-linked autocannon, 2 autocannon, 2 twin-linked lacannon, and 4 lascannon... All the fire-power I will need and a myriad of dangerous platforms for the enemy to swat down, while at the same time shoving a land-raider down the enemy's throat that is loaded with a lethal threat that has to be stopped or else. Throw in a highly mobile troop force and a couple of in-your-face Ironclad dreadnoughts, and I think this will make for a decent gaming experience... unless i am faced with a horde army, none too sure how that would go down (also haven't faced guard yet)

See less See more
#2 ·
You should get a second Land Raider as theyll immediately gun for the one you have and you cant have special/heavy weapons in a 5man tactical squad.
You should get 3 or 2 full tacticals for a solid base for your army. For the librarian, give him back a stormshield and (powers) the avenger and null zone.
One more thing: give the ironclads heavy flamers for infantry. Apart from that, its fine. Try and find a way to fit all of this in.

#3 ·
ernic,
i guess a 2500 pt list would allow me to fit all the above lol. thanks for pointing out the special wpn flaw, I had misread that and thought i got it free, but now i see it's for the 10 man sqd. I'm not that crazy about 2 landraiders bc it's alot of points and would mean replacing both my predators. the first incarnation of this list had 0 predators, 2 dev squads w/ 2 missile launchers, 1 plasma cannon and 1 lascannon and 2 full tac sqds split into combat squads. I still had the 2 scouts, as well just one ironclad and a rifleman dread. i did ok playing against an Eldar list. the list wasn't bad, but I needed more hvy guns, and I learned that plasma cannons suck real bad with the present edition rules :(
I tried to build this list with a large variety of units and serious punch in the firepower dept, while allowing some capability to get around the field

#4 ·
at this point range you really do need more armor to make the LR more effective. For me, the point of taking such a huge target for anti-tank is so that the weaker vehicles (rhinos) are possibly ignored while they move into position, tho a savvy opponent ignore the LR and shoot them anyway, which may also be good for you.

#5 ·
Guthbrand,
i was thinking along the lines of maybe losing the librarian and replacing him with another 5 man tactical squad in a rhino, just to have another scoring unit. The only thing is, the libr has come in handy with the psychic hood, null zone, and I've even deployed the termies w/o him once (leaving him in the LR) and assaulted him by himself (using quickening) to tool/tie up enemy scoring units. He's valuable in close combat. I have yet to lose more than 2 of my troop squads and the current force organization has stood up for me under heat. I'm playing a 7 yr veteran that usually does very well in tournaments with this list tomorrow, so I'll try and give a battle report to let you know how things go. He's got several bad-ass lists, so it's sure to be a challenging game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.