<2000 2000 point vulkan list, viability? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 point vulkan list, viability?

I am formally more known to use the orks, but i've grown a strong interest in the space marine codexs, so came up with this army list and wondered how well it could do in a tournament setting. I added some notes next to some things trying to see if my tactics could work, and comments are welcomed.

Vulkan - 190
    Librarian w/Null zone and Smite - 100

Dreadnaught w/ HF on a drop pod - 150

Assault Terminators x5 w/ TH/SS -200 going with LRR w/ Vulkan and Librarian riding with them
    Assault Terminators x5 w/ TH/SS - 200 will be deepstriking in on teleport homer I have in later scout squad listed, mostly a back-up, or can DS somewhere if scouts dont need help w/ objective

Tact Squad x10 w/ MG, MM in a rhino -210
    Tact Squad x10 w/ MG, MM in a rhino -210

Scount Squad x10 w/ x8 sniper rifles, x1 heavy bolter w/ hellfire rounds, Sergeant Telion, - 215 cause his special rules are just all kinds of fun to **** with someones HQ bad early in the game to my advantage. Also having a teleport homer for the assault terms if they need to help these guys with an objective or wherever placed

LRR w/ extra armor and MM - 265 Will be transporting squad of assault terminators w/ vulkan and librarian in the squad, objective is to obviously kill whatever i need to with these guys lol.

Vindicator w/ Storm Shield -125 get down field quicker the better to blow shit up

Predator w/ side sponsons las cannon, and extra armor -135 This is my long rang kill any big tank that will mess up my LRR in a bad way or whatever needs it in the first turn.

I'm hoping to get Vulkans true potential out of all my meltas and flamers, and especially those master crafted thunder hammers, just amazing I think. Rhinos with tact squads will move down field til I feel like I am in a good range to start opening fire if I get blown out of my tank or anything. I'm planning on bringing in my scouts to take out a HQ or something that I know will be troublesome, or something along it, I like the sniper rounds a lot to pick off someones squads well. Dreadnaught is for anti tank or if I need to tie up a squad in combat, depends on what I am facing.

Any advise?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

The problem with a typical Vulkan list is 2-fold:

1. Everyone has seen and played against them, which means we all know the countermoves to take them down. You'll not surprise anyone with an army like yours.

2. In the search to maximize your shortranged power you massively reduce your long ranged power, which puts a huge crimp on the primary strategy of any marine player ever: maneuver warfare. The fact that you HAVE to get close to fight effectively makes you massively more predictable, and much easier to counter by other armies. Grey Knights will still cleaning you out with their better midranged powerpower and army-wide Force Weapons, and the IG will very happily murder your few transports at range, perhaps sacrificing a few units of meltavets but leaving the rest of your force vulerable to the kind of massed firepower that only the IG can put out. There's examples for most other armies and builds.

If you're playing CM, then you need a balanced mix of close and longed capability - close ranged being either CC or just a fair portion of short ranged weapons. All my marine armies make up for the lack of dedicated CC by fielding quite a few meltaguns and other similar weapons, but they don't eschew the long ranged firepower that they need as well. There's ways to make Vulcan work in a larger game, and while this is certainly a powerful list....it's also a predictable list, which makes it a beatable list.

Also, doublecheck your point costs and options. I see a few errors in your army list.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the people I will be competing with aren't anyone of an amazing level, i mean theres a couple players that have had a lot of experience, but not a ton. I'm open to all suggestions, I like other chapters too but I havn't found a good strategy in my head for them.

Any suggestions on Dark Angels or Space Wolves? Those were my alternatives to my vulkan/sallymander list, but I like scouts a lot lol, that was probably one of my favorite units w/ a terminator back up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or would you possibly suggest adding in one or two devastator squads w/ some missile launchers or a predator or two more something like that? What about land speeders, are those viable now? Really don't know a ton about marines, i'm a fairly experiences player, with my friends lol, but they are all tournament players. But i've never played many marine type armies, so don't know what a great army looks like, or should consist of.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

Dark Angels have a couple stupidly powerful monobuilds, but they're limited in the scope of their competativeness. Space Wolves are the best marine codex out right now - their Wolf Scouts are also the most effective of any marine scout units, too.

Heavy Weapons teams with missile launchers are decent, depending on the codex (the point costs vary). AC/LC predators are actually a fair common choice for anti-tank, as are Typhoon Speeders. (Another massively powerful unit)

Do you have any particular tactics or units that you favour?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, especially out of the space wolves codex I like the long fangs a lot, but I can't figure out a good army that would work well, cause everyone i've ever faced I beat.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

The Wolves work best as an extremely shooty army, despite all the fluff about them preferring CC over anything else. Army wide counter-attack and most of their army having bolters, pistols AND CCWs means they're quite happy to just stand right in your face and shoot, and getting charged doesn't bother them near as much as it does for most armies. As a sampler, here's what my typical Wolves list for 2k points looks like:

Rune Priest (Living Lightning, Tempests's Wrath)
    Rune Priest, Meltabombs (Living Lightning, Tempests's Wrath)
    5x Wolf Scouts, Meltagun, Plasma Pistol
    5x Wolf Scouts, Meltagun, Plasma Pistol
    6x Wolf Guard, 6x Combimeltas
    5x Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Razorback
    Land Speeder Typhoon
    Land Speeder Typhoon
    Land Speeder Typhoon
    5x Long Fangs, 4x Missile Launchers, Razorback
    =1998

Net result? Stupid volumes of firepower, yet still a long way from being crap at CC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that's one hell of an army.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the razorbacks for the long fangs for? And also, why razorbacks? Is it for the twin linked heavy bolter?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also lol sorry, do you have 6 wolf guard marines, is it one for each grey hunter squad? or do you keep these six together

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast