<2000 Revisiting SW. 1750 pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x1)

Revisiting SW. 1750 pts

Ooold player here.

Started up with SW many years ago. A bit long in the tooth and rather senile I'm afraid...

Last years I've only played with my other love Nurgle but now it's time to revisit Russ' pups.

So I've tried to put together a list using the stuff I already have. So, this is not an attempt to win a tournament or such but a try yo put to together a fun list and maybe start over with my beloved Space Wolves.

Here we go:

HQ

Wolf Lord (Bike, 2 wolves, Frost Axe) 180 pts
    Rune Priest (Chooser) Living L, Hurricane 110 pts
    Wolf Lord (Runic Armour, Frost Axe) 145 pts
    Rune Priest Jaws, Living L 100 pts

Elite

4 WG leaders, PF, combimelta 172 pts
    5 Scouts, melta 85 pts

Troops

8 GH, PF, melta, wolf standard, rhino 195 pts

Fast

Speeder, MultiMelta 60 pts

Heavy

5 Long Fangs, 4 missile launchers, Razorback (LC + plas) 190 pts

TOT: 1747 pts

The thought is to fill the Rhinos with HQ and WG-leaders and form three strong units with lots of killing power, the speeders and scouts hunt armour, the bike lord pester everyone and the long fangs pick juicy targets.

Will it work?

Cheers!

Ikterus

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Ikterus View Post
    HQ

Wolf Lord (Bike, 2 wolves, Frost Axe) 180 pts
    Wolf Lord (Runic Armour, Frost Axe) 145 pts
    Your Rune Priests are good, the Wolf Lords will need some work. A bike on a Lord is not advisable. A ThunderWolf is better in every aspect. Your other lord, You can drop completely, he isn't needed. Space Wolves arn't the "I'll rip you limb from limb" army they used to be with their 3rd ed Codex. With BA and GK, it is getting harder and harder to just "combat" your way out of a situation.

Elite

5 Scouts, melta 85 pts
    Perfect.

Troops

Looks good with 1 exception. The Fists on your Grey Hunters arn't worth it. 2 Attacks on the charge, and only 1 if stuck in combat for a turn, all for the hefty price of 40 points. As I am sure you know a Wolf Guard is only 38 with a fist, and gets 3 attacks on the charge and 2 when stuck in. Drop it to either mark of the Wulfen or a Power Weapon.

Fast

Looks good, but I would drop one to save some points! I'll tell you why later!

Heavy

Hey, remember all those points I said to drop? Well now you get to see where they'll go! Up this squad to a 6 man and add another 6 man Squad with Missile Launcher. Your heavy support will be the envy of all your opponents! Now if it is tournament play, I would take 3 squads.

Will it work?
    Cheers!
    Short answer, yes. It will take some finesse to pull a win from a seasoned player, but it is doable. Also, don't expect much against your typical GK player, as they will most likely be striking first, and insta-gibbing your HQ's.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x1)

Thanks for a great and friendly answer, LO is as I remembered it!

This said I'd like to talk some of this over...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Guard View Post
    Your Rune Priests are good, the Wolf Lords will need some work. A bike on a Lord is not advisable. A ThunderWolf is better in every aspect. Your other lord, You can drop completely, he isn't needed. Space Wolves arn't the "I'll rip you limb from limb" army they used to be with their 3rd ed Codex. With BA and GK, it is getting harder and harder to just "combat" your way out of a situation.
    OK, I'll proxy in the Thunderwolf. Thats 10 pts plus.

As you'll see later I will get some extra points left over later. I'm think of spending these on this guy making him last a little longer. Eternal Warrior is not needed when being T5 but maybe 4+ invulnerable save?

Looks good with 1 exception. The Fists on your Grey Hunters arn't worth it. 2 Attacks on the charge, and only 1 if stuck in combat for a turn, all for the hefty price of 40 points. As I am sure you know a Wolf Guard is only 38 with a fist, and gets 3 attacks on the charge and 2 when stuck in. Drop it to either mark of the Wulfen or a Power Weapon.
    OK, I have alot of PFs modeled since the PF-spam BloodClaws I used to run? But point taken.

Sure, I'll switch to Wulfen or PW. Please tell me why Wulfen? I don't really see why they should be worth it... Power Weapon is versatile and Rending is not as good it used to be..?

Hey, remember all those points I said to drop? Well now you get to see where they'll go! Up this squad to a 6 man and add another 6 man Squad with Missile Launcher. Your heavy support will be the envy of all your opponents! Now if it is tournament play, I would take 3 squads.
    As much as I'like to do this I only own one squad of long fangs..

Short answer, yes. It will take some finesse to pull a win from a seasoned player, but it is doable. Also, don't expect much against your typical GK player, as they will most likely be striking first, and insta-gibbing your HQ's.
    So, I have 20 pts to spare (-30 due to removed PF, + 10 due to T-Wolf) what will I spend them on?

EDIT: I forgot. How about exchanging the other Lord for a dread (MM, HFlamer, Pod). Better? I figure dreads are hard to kill and a well placed pod in turn one can make me able to pop a vehicle very early or flame the hell out of something..?

HQ

Wolf Lord (ThunderWolf, 2 wolves, Frost Axe) 190 pts

Elite

5 Scouts, melta 85 pts
    Dread, MM, HF, Pod 150 pts

Troops

8 GH, PowerWeapon, melta, wolf standard, rhino 185 pts
    8 GH, PowerWeapon, melta, wolf standard, rhino 185 pts
    9 GH, PowerWeapon, melta, wolf standard, rhino 200 pts

Fast

Heavy

TOT: 1747 pts

Better?
    Last edited by Ikterus; April 28th, 2011 at 10:18.
    Ikterus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x1)

First game with the list played.

Opponent: Necrons, twin towers, destroyer-heavy. Minor victory for the Necrons... The dice gods screwed me but my opponent played well and I was really close to Phase him out. Very close game all in all.

Verdict:
    -Jaws rule vs Necrons (duh)
    -Never give two wolves to a Lord (obviously). When Destroyers fire upon you and you have to receive the hits using the majority T, it sucks...
    -melta is no good vs Necrons...

I think this list can work! I'll ditch at least one of the wolves. Have to think more about the dread, but I think I'll give him another chance.

Comments appreciated.
    Ikterus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x1)

I forgot to say that the Wolf Standard is fabulous value for the points payed. Don't let you Grey Hunters leave home without it!
    Ikterus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

To answer some of your previous questions:

The Mark of the Wulfen is good against GEQ. The Power Weapon will be better against MEQ. It's really a personal opinion, I use a Power Weapon because, if we can be honest, MotW isn't that great, but I know others like it.

The Dread is a great idea, it will take some fire off your rhino's turn 1. Don't expect him to live long though. Dreads have the unfortunate habit of getting Melta Gunned fairly quickly after arrival.

The Wolf Banner is indeed one of the best upgrades in our arsenal, I would always take one!

The second list is much better, IMO. The Wolf Lord however needs an Invul save! I would give him a Storm Shield if you can find the points. Anyways, good luck on your next match, and make sure to appease the dice gods often!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x1)

The second list is much better, IMO. The Wolf Lord however needs an Invul save! I would give him a Storm Shield if you can find the points. Anyways, good luck on your next match, and make sure to appease the dice gods often!
    Cool, but why a shield instead of the Belt? Loosing one attack bugs me...
    Ikterus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Cool, but why a shield instead of the Belt? Loosing one attack bugs me...
    6 attacks when charging is enough. 5 points for a 3+ over a 4+ is a steal! It really comes down to survivability, and since he doesn't have Saga of the Bear, (even if he did I would still Storm Shield him up) he needs a 3++ save. The minute he gets hit by a demolisher round, you will be thanking me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

83 (x1)

6 attacks when charging is enough. 5 points for a 3+ over a 4+ is a steal! It really comes down to survivability, and since he doesn't have Saga of the Bear, (even if he did I would still Storm Shield him up) he needs a 3++ save. The minute he gets hit by a demolisher round, you will be thanking me!
    Noted. This game however he got 12 S6 shots in the face the first turn and had to save using T4 due to the two wolves losing two wounds... The last wound was taken by the Flux Arch (?) that hit him 5 times...

But still, I can see why WLords need inv saves...

I have some thoughts on dropping one of the speeders and both wolves, reducing the last GH squad to 8 models. Thus I can go back to my original thought and add another HQ (wolf guard battle leader) and also give the lord an inv save.

I really liked the possibility of being able to split the forces in each rhino after disembarking, the HQ charging one unit and the troops going somewhere else. Being able to charge in two directions is very nice. Also maybe you want the troops to close in on an objective but still tie up a juciy unit.

I asked about the Chooser in another thread. What do you think of it?
    Ikterus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Chooser is a great upgrade if your Priest is using Living Lightning, and almost mandatory if you are using the Murderous hurricane and Living Lightning combo. It is fairly easy to place Chooser so that it has line of sight to almost every location on the board, and having BS 5 is a huge advantage for your shooty Rune Priest.

Now, I would drop 1 of the Wolves, that way you have a 10 point bullet sponge. It is fairly tricky to run a ThunderCav Lord by himself, as the opponent so often will make sure that your Lord will be going nowhere, and fast. The trick is to utilize his large charge range and keeping him hidden. That way your opponent might be forced to re-deploy in order to turn his guns on your Lord. if he does this, then the rest of your army will have an easy time of getting close. With the mobility of the ThunderCav, you should be able to charge on your turn 2. If you don't want to send your Lord up the side for a flank charge, then you can always keep him behind your Rhino wall.

This may help too, I generally run my Lord as such:

Wolf Lord
    -Thunder Wolf, Runic Armor, Storm Shield, Wolf Claw (Optional Saga of the Bear)

Granted, when I play my Wolf Star list, it looks a little different from yours. Generally I'll take 2 Lord on TWolves, and a squad of Cav. Then tool out the rest of my force with Grey Hunters, Long Fangs, and a unit of Scouts to keep them off the back board edge and coming to me!

+ Reply to Thread