Librarium Online Forums banner

1500 Pt Mobile Army (hopefully)

1K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Seraph Leviathan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there. I started playing Imperial Guard not too long ago and have started working towards an army that looks like this. I'm aiming for casual play, or at least semi-competitive with my friends, not interested in tournaments at this point.

NOTE: I might have got the points wrong along the way at some point, please let me know if I did.

HQ
Company Command Squad - 140
w/Power Wep, Reg Standard, Vox, 2x Flamers OR Grenade Launchers, Cara Armour, Master of Ordnance

Elites
Ratling Squad - 100
w/7 additional Ratlings

Troops
Platoon Command Squad x2 - 140
w/2x Power Wep, 2x Platoon Standard, 2x Vox, 4x Flamers OR Grenade Launchers

Infantry Squad x4 - 280
w/4x Grenade Launcher, 4x Vox, 4x Autocannon

Veteran Squad x2 - 240 OR 270 OR 300
w/2x Vox, 6x Flamers OR Grenade Launchers OR 6x Meltas OR 6x Plasmas, Grenadiers

Fast Attack
Valkyrie Assault Carrier Squad x3 - 390
w/3x Multi Rocket Pods

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Main Battle Tank - 205 (Veteran Flamers)
w/Lascannon, Sponser Plasma Cannons

Leman Russ Executioner - 190 (Veteran Meltas)

Leman Russ Main Battle Tank - 150 (Veteran Plasmas)

Total: w/Flamers - 1495
w/Meltas, without Veteran Voxs - 1500
w/Plasmas - 1500

My main strategy here is to load up the Valks with my two vets and CCS and flank my opponent, while my other units advance head on. Now I designed this army to be flexible, taking meltas to punch his tanks, or flamers/plasmas to disrupt his infantry. Because I mostly play against Tau all my basic squads have Grenade Launchers and Autocannons, as I have gathered from reading other lists that Autocans are good against the Tau. I'd change them to a Flamer/Mortar combo if my enemy was infantry heavy, or Lascannon/Plasma if Battlesuit heavy, but I haven't got point calculations for those yet. Now, if your wondering why a MoO, hes there if I decide not to outflank but instead hold the line and just shoot, or make a full frontal assault. I'd likely swap him out for some more Power Weps if I was going to go Mobile. I know Chimera's are good for a mobile army, so if you think getting them is way better then 3 Valks then please say so, I don't want to buy three Valks only to realize later Chimera's are better (if they are).

Also, I'm still coming to grips with the rules, so any advice on how to successfully pull off a flanking attack, or if you have any idea's to make this army perform better please say so, I don't want to buy all of this then suddenly find out it doesn't work, its all in theory atm. My aim is to create a Mobile army, which I can easily convert into a stationary army if I'm facing Nids/Orks, as I have lost most games against Tau because I couldn't do anything to prevent them mowing me down, not being able to get close enough and not being unable to shoot back because of their incredible range.

See less See more
#2 ·
firt of all drop those buffed valk for 3 vanilla vendettas. waay more effective for the same price.
drop the sponsons from the leman russ. you need to keep it moving or it will blow up on turn 2
you should embark the vets in the vendettas and since they will be out of order range, drop their vox
consider the possibility to combine your infantry squad into 20 men teams, halving voxes and orders to be issued per turn
use melta-veterans, that's the best combination
split the ratlings in 2 5 men units maybe?
if you plan to keep your infantry out of CC maybe you can drop some reg standards and power weapons

i am not that expert anyway...

#3 ·
and note that you have 6 avaible orders per turn while you have only 4 IS worthy to be ordered about (the ones with heavy weapons). maybe cut on the second ccs and hire a lord commissar, and buff him!

#6 · (Edited)
If I drop Sponsors, several voxes and mabey only take 1 5 man rattling team I might be able to fit him in. I don't have my codex with me atm to calculate it but I'll do that sometime. Also thank you for the advice for vendetta's. I didn't think the Vets would be out of orders range since the CCS would be in the 3rd Vendetta (if I chose to flank) so he could issue both of them orders. Unless Ive overlooked something in the rules? Also, can I embark my troops into a transport during the deployment phase?

Also, when I face Tau I generally try to get into CC since they have no (or very poor, I'm not quite sure) melee.

#7 · (Edited)
you shouldn't trim an army to face a single enemy. otherwise when you will face orks you will get slaughtered in 3 turns.
drop the lascannon from the lrbt too!
and i am not sure about the plasma tank. a basic one is more versatile, or a demolisher is stronger.

this way you do not need to drop too much voxes.

edit: MoO and a flanking/moving ccs simply doesn't combine together. maybe 2 bodyguards do more benefit, seen your playstyle

#8 ·
At the moment I am only facing Tau, as thats the army my friend has chosen, and I've lost quite a few games with him. I do know people with other armies but I haven't played against them yet and probably won't anytime soon.

If I do end up facing other armies I will alter mine at that time. Sorry for not mentioning this sooner.

#9 · (Edited)
Why the platoon standard (it's pretty lame)?

Where's the ranged anti tank? One Lascannon on an LRBT has about a 1/12 chance of killing a vehicle and that's not including cover saves. You need more.

With the Coy Command Squad I think the MoO and flamers would be a bad combo. Definitely get GLs, they have the best range. You want to be able to shoot all your weapons, and calling in a basilisk strike at flamer range would be /very/ "danger close"!

While I agree with the advice to swap out the Valkyries for Vendettas I don't think that this list is going to give you any real mobility.

It has an infantry core and they are taking heavy weapons so you're pretty static. Both the LRBTs and the Vendettas would be moving 6 inches max to fire.

For a mobile army you need more mechanised infantry.
I'd lose a Vendetta (2 is plenty for 1500 points) and take Al Rahem with a stripped down platoon in Chimeras, melta guns all around. Maybe add in some sentinels if you can afford them and an astropath to get them coming in where you want them. That will give you the feel of sweeping up the enemy's flank like you wanted with the Valks but with more reliability and without neglecting your backfield firepower.

If you've got your heart set on using air cav that can probably work too but you need more ranged AT fire somehow. Maybe some lascannon weapon teams or something to stand in for the vendettas. Orders can twin link them more than 50% of the time so they're alright, they just die kinda easily.

#10 · (Edited)
Ok, so with the advice that I have received thus far in my mind, I have created a new list.

HQ
Company Command Squad - 120
w/4x Grenade Launchers, Cara Armour, Master of Ordinance

---Lord Commissar - 100 - See Totals--- OPTIONAL
w/Cara Armour, Power Wep, Plasma Pistol

Elites
Ratling Squad - 70
w/4 additional Ratlings

Troops
Platoon Command Squad x2 - 230 (115) See Totals
w/2x Power Wep, 2x Vox, 6x Flamers OR Grenade Launchers, 2x Chimera Transports

Infantry Squad x4 - 410 (295) See Totals
w/2x Melta Guns, 2x Plasma Guns, 2x Vox, 2x Lascannon, 2x Chimera Transports

Veteran Squad x2 - 260
w/6x Meltas, Grenadiers

Fast Attack
Vendetta Assault Carrier Squad x2 - 260

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Main Battle Tank - 150

Total: 1500
1370 wt/ 1 Platoon, 1 Infantry Squad)
w/ Lord Commissar

Everything you see here except the Lord Commissar brings the list to 1500, assuming I didn't make any mistakes in point calculation along the way. The Second total is when I remove 1 PCS and 1 IS containing 1 Melta and 1 Chimera, and then added the LC.

My strategy is this. Embark the two Veteran into the Vendetta's and flank. Embarking the 2 PCS and 2 IS with Melta's and Voxes and either going for the other flank or head on. I am unsure whether to swap the Chimera's Multilaser or Heavy Bolter so any advice on how to kit out a Chimera would be welcome. The other two IS with Plasmas and Lascannons will remain behind with the CCS and Ratlings, Picking off infantry or vehicles whenever possible, and the MoO can order in Artillery safely behind the two IS's. The Leman Russ will move up with the Chimera's and provide more firepower.

Because of the fact that this is a Infantry heavy army and I cant affored to give them all Chimera's, and by wanting to include a Lord Commissar, I removed 1 PCS and 1 IS, bringing my total number of troops down to 64 from 83 (I think). This left me with 1370 points and I am not sure how to proceed from there. I could take another LRMBT but that would put me over 20pts (I don't think my friend would mind that though) but I'd like to be as close to 1500 as possible.

This may or may not be a better list than before, i could have ballsed it all up as I haven't been able to actually test it. I'm hoping its become a more 'Mobile Army' with the changes, and added some more Anti-vehicle firepower. And yeah with the 1370 List, any advice on where to take it from there is welcome, I was thinking about adding some Sentinels maybe? Or a Basilisk?

Also, if any of the equipment I have chosen isn't worth taking let me know please.

#11 ·
I'd give a lascannon, 2gl to the CCS rather than 4gl. remember that the guards attached are veterans (BS4)
i'd strip off the plasma rifles from the infantry (which if i understood correctly, it is attached to the "standing" infantry) and give them GL

you should be able to collect 20 points more and put in another LRBT. You definitely should: your enemy will target them heavily, doing him very little, while you can close in / maneuver with less fire incoming.

#12 ·
After a bit of thought, I've come up with a slightly different list than the last.

1500 Point Mobile Guard Army

HQ
Company Command Squad - 170
w/Vox, 4x Melta Guns, Cara Armour, Chimera Transport

Lord Commissar - 100
w/Cara Armour, Power Wep, Plasma Pistol

Elites
Ratling Squad - 60
w/3 additional Ratlings

Troops
Platoon Command Squad - 60
w/Vox, 2x Grenade Launchers, Missile Launcher

Infantry Squad x2 - 180 (Combined Squad)
w/Vox, 2x Plasma Guns, 2x Lascannons

Infantry Squad x2 - 240
w/2x Vox, 2x Melta Guns, 2x Chimera Transports

Veteran Squad x2 - 280
w/2x Power Weps, Shotguns, 6x Meltas, Grenadiers

Fast Attack
Vendetta Assault Carrier x2 - 260

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Main Battle Tank - 150

Total: 1495

My strategy is still the same, just did a little re-organization. Now the CCS will load up in a Chimera with 2 IS's and advance along with the LRMBT. The PCS will stay back with 1 20 man squad and the Ratlings to provide support fire, and the Vendettas will still be flanking with the Veterans, except now they have Power Swords and Shotguns.

Firstly, Shotguns, are they better than Lasguns in this strat? Something just makes me thing they would be but I can't tell why, maybe just because they're Assault 2, and the Power Swords are there to give them a little extra edge if they get assaulted. There's also 1 less Chimera now, but I figured that in a 1500 point army that would provide sufficient mobility, and I don't want to crowd up the field too much. I didn't really appreciate melta's until coming here and now I see how good they are, so I have a lot of those, but perhaps too much? I do really want another LRMBT however. I chose the LC because I could attach him to either the veterans or CCS, but if he doesn't suit this setup then I would gladly trade him off and 45 more points to get a second LRMBT.

The total comes to 1495 because of the Missile Launcher. If that's no good I will swap it for a Lascannon, bringing me up to 1500 flat, I just thought the ML would be quite good for what the PCS is meant to be doing.

I know this post will be getting rather stale, so unless I've screwed up big time, this will probably be the final list I'm going to aim for. All advice and tips are greatly appreciated, thank you.

#13 ·
Looks good, others have covered this pretty solidly, but i'd suggest rethinking the 2x IS w/ Meltaguns and Chimera's. These units are not very efficient at all, even just looking at it on paper. Just how much damage is a single BS 3 Melta in each squad going to do? You could even just do a straight swap of them to a LRBT. Radical i know, but possibly worth it. This would leave you with 30 points, perfect for a hull-mounted LC each on the vanilla Russes to make them even more versatile, bringing you up to 1495 again. This leaves you a little light on in transports, but if they are looking at 2 Detta's and 2 Russes it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

#15 ·
A Demolisher would be quite good. I'd recommend a hull HF on it to complement its short range. Also, i just noticed, your CCS and PCS are currently illegal. The CCS has a Vox and 4 Meltaguns. You cannot double up upgrades, so the CCS would have to take a Vox and 3 Meltaguns. The PCS has a similar problem.

I also agree with Frost regarding the Plasma guns on the IS, GL's would be better. 15 points is lot to pay for on a BS 3 model with a low armour save. There are better ways to add Plasma to a list (Stormies, CCS, veterans). I'd take Autocannons over the Lascannons on these squads for the same reason. You are paying a lot on what should be a cheap squad, not to mention there is 50/50 chance to hit with the LC's on the IS.

#17 ·
I just have to say that I really like Plasma Cannon sponsons on the Leman. I usually run Plasma Cannon sponsons and a Heavy Flamer at the front. This means that a weapon destroyed roll on the damage charts doesn't hurt you much at all, and the ability to dish out 2 small and 1 big plate a turn while moving is just awesome. I know you don't play against Space Marines or the Chaos variant, but that really makes them cry :) As would Tau Crisis Suits, coming to think of it. I think the Lascannon is just to expensive for what it does. Wouldn't take it unless I really didn't know what to do with those 15 points.

#18 ·
The Lumbering Behemoth rule does not allow you to move at combat speed and fire both sponsons and the Battle Cannon. It only allows you to fire your turret weapon in addition to any other weapon you are allowed to fire (1 + defensive). The best you can do is move 6" and fire a single sponson and the Cannon. For this reason, sponsons are not recommended as the Russ should be constantly moving to deter attackers. The only variant i would consider putting sponsons is the Executioner and even then its a bit dodgy. There are arguments for sponsons, but where i play not moving your russ doesn't end well at all.

#19 ·
Of course you're right, I usually don't move my LR's much, but I would still recommend the setup. When relocating you get to fire two of your blast weapons, and one weapon destroyed result won't turn your LR to a Lumbering Toothless Behemoth. Remember that you get to pivot and shoot without count as moving, and if you have enemy CC-units running in the midst of your lines, well...good luck. I find I usually get to stand still and shoot for at least a couple of turns until I have to relocate, but that depends on your deployment.

#20 ·
Thats very true, come to think of it, i havn't used a LR in a long time, been using my shiny Elysians :). It also depends on what your opponent is playing of course, i just never used sponsons extensively. Having only played smaller point games myself it teaches what you really need and what is good, but isn't the most cost effective. I find it difficult to place sponsons on a Russ at 500 points or even a 1000 point level.

#22 ·
Well this has certainly been enlightening, and I learned something new, the part about Leman Russ's only able to fire their turret and a single sponsor after moving 6". I didn't know that before so thank you for pointing it out.

Well I think I have a pretty solid idea for my army. Keeping in mind that I will almost always be facing Tau, can any of you give me some Tips and Tactics? So far my win/lose ratio against my friend is 1-3, but thats mostly due to my own inexperience. All help is appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.