<1000 Getting Back Into the Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting Back Into the Guard

After a long hiatus, I'm considering getting back into Warhammer. I've pulled out my old Guard army and am working up a new list. It's odd getting used to the idea that we're not just supposed to sit back and fire dozens of heavy weapons and hundreds of flashlights anymore, but this 1000-point list is my attempt to adapt:

Company Command Squad (90pts)
    regimental standard, 3 grenade launchers, power weapon

Guardsman Marbo (65pts)

Veteran Squad (155pts)
    3 meltaguns, Chimera armored transport w/ hull heavy bolter

Veteran Squad (170pts)
    3 plasmaguns, Chimera armored transport w/ hull heavy flamer

Platoon Command Squad (50pts)
    4 flamers

Infantry Squad (65 pts)
    missile launcher

Infantry Squad (115pts)
    missile launcher, Commisar w/ power fist

Heavy Weapons Squad (105pts)
    lascannons

Scout Sentinel (35pts)

Leman Russ Battle Tank (150pts)
    hull heavy bolter

The infantry squads will be blobbed together under the commisar's command, hopefully babysitting an objective and projecting moderate firepower. The HWS will park nearby on anti-tank duty. The veterans are obviously mobile, attempting to contest objectives and engage armored targets. I've tried to keep the list diverse, since that suits my place-style. I'm unsure if the current meta-game encourages diversity or specialization.

I'm wondering if the power fist on the commie is a waste, but I remember him being smashy before. I've included Marbo due to the excellent reviews of his performance that I've seen here and elsewhere.

This list is intended for casual play, but I always play with the intention of winning, so I'd appreciate suggestions for getting the best out of this list, or ways to modify or streamline it. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to LO! Your list doesn't look too bad at all, ive just made a few suggestions in green that you may want to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    Company Command Squad (90pts)
    regimental standard, 3 grenade launchers, power weapon
    Okay, i find that any CC upgrades on a CCS are wasted, if they find themselves in combat they are doomed regardless of what they have. I'd drop the PW.
    Guardsman Marbo (65pts)
    Solid.

Veteran Squad (155pts)
    3 meltaguns, Chimera armored transport w/ hull heavy bolter
    Good, i would change the HB to a HF though, it will serve you better.

Veteran Squad (170pts)
    3 plasmaguns, Chimera armored transport w/ hull heavy flamer
    Solid.

Platoon Command Squad (50pts)
    4 flamers
    Looks good, these guys would be much better in a Chimera though.

Infantry Squad (65 pts)
    missile launcher
    Not bad, it is recommended to add special weapons wherever you can though, a GL is a cheap and solid choice.

Infantry Squad (115pts)
    missile launcher, Commisar w/ power fist
    Same as above. Unfortunately the Commissar cannot take a PF, just a PW, i would keep it on him though if you decide to keep him.

Heavy Weapons Squad (105pts)
    lascannons
    I find that these are very fragile to enemy fire and rarely survive for long, i would drop these to provide points for other upgrades.

Scout Sentinel (35pts)
    Okay, although a lone Sentinel is a tad strange, i would suggest an AC for this.

Leman Russ Battle Tank (150pts)
    hull heavy bolter
    Excellent, a hull Lascannon is a good choice if points are available.
    Its not a bad start at all and with a few tweaks will perform quite well.
    Last edited by xDETHx Turtle; May 24th, 2011 at 10:47.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the critique!

This modification drops the HWS for more special weapons, various upgrades, an extra sentinel, and a ride for the flamer-armed PCS:

CCS
    -3x GLs, regimental standard

Marbo

Veteran Squad
    -3x meltaguns, Chimera armored transport

Veteran Squad
    -3x plasmaguns, Chimera armored transport

PCS
    -4x flamers, Chimera armored transport

Infantry Squad
    -GL, lascannon

Infantry Squad
    -GL, lascannon, Commisar w/ power weapon

2x Scout Sentinels w/ AC

LRBT

(995pts)

How's that looking? It still makes me itch that I'm fielding only 50 guys, but I guess the days of shooty swarm-Guard are over.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    How's that looking? It still makes me itch that I'm fielding only 50 guys, but I guess the days of shooty swarm-Guard are over.
    You do only have 50 guys, but you also have 4 tanks and 2 walkers, so it should be okay. Personally, i would exchange the Commissar for something else. The Commie is really cool, but is best used in a blob squad of 20-30 Guardsmen to make use of Stubborn. If you drop him, those points could be spent on a third Sentinel, although 2 do work quite well. Alternatively, you could equip the CCS w/ Camo Cloaks and the LRBT with a hull LC.

Other suggestions would be to change both Lascannons to Autocannons and changing the 3x Plasma to 3x Melta. What you have there is fine, just something you might want to consider. The AC's would provide better anti-transport and your anti-tank would not suffer with the extra Meltaguns, whilst being cheaper at the same time. With the points saved from this (and the Commissar) you could take Plasma guns on the CCS and possibly even another Chimera (with a Chimera Camo Cloaks would be redundant).

All that is theoretical though, it does look better regardless. I don't know how games are played in your group, but in mine vehicle heavy lists are prominent and anti-tank is rarely wasted. Just some thoughts and i hope some of it helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you dropped the regimental standard, downgraded the plas vets to melta vets, and dropped the commissar+PW plus the 5 points you already had leftover you would have 80 points to spare. I would take those points and get a GL to give the guy who lost the standard in the CCS, give the CCS a chimera, and use the remaining 20 points to either (give a hull mounted lascannon to your LRBT and a melta bomb to your CCS) or (a HK for each of your sentinels). Then just blob your IS toghther and have them sit pretty on your home objevtive and take potshots with their lascannons at the big scarey tanks in the distance. there are other options out there (and some are most likely better) but this is what i would do.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

I think that with Iron Soul's tweaks, that you would have a pretty solid list for 1000 points.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those seem like some solid suggestions! I'll have to lay hands on another Chimera and a couple of melta-armed guardsmen. Thanks for the feedback : )

+ Reply to Thread