<2000 1750 Chimera-Free - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

1750 Chimera-Free

So I'm interested in starting a guardsman army, I have a few models but before I get more I want some advice and critique. So I want to try to make a large guardsman army on the smallest budget possible. To do this I based the army around three battleforce boxes and just a few "mandatory" units. My thinking is that by getting rid of the need for chimeras I'm saving a whole bunch of cash but I'm wondering just how competitive the list actually is.

HQ
    Command Squad: 155 (Astropath,vox, 2x plasma guns and lascannon, camo cloaks)
    Command Squad: 155 (Regimental standard, melta guns x4, camo cloaks, bodyguards x2)

The first command squad is the "support" command squad it will be in the pack with the support infantry units

ELITES
    Marbo: 65

Marbo is the boss and can be inexpensively made out of a regular guardsman and some bits

TROOPS

Platoon Command Squad: 55 (vox, 4x flamers)
    Infantry Squad: 70 autocannon, grenade launcher, vox
    Infantry Squad: 65 autocannon, grenade launcher
    Infantry Squad: 75 melta gun, power sword, vox
    Infantry Squad: 100 (commissar, power weapon, power weapon, flamer)
    Infantry Squad: 65 (power weapon, flamer)
    Heavy Weapon Squad: autocannon x3
    Veteran Squad: 150 (Harker, grenade launchersx3, autocannon)
    Veteran Squad: 100 3x melta shotties

I have a lot of troops so hopefully some will live :p the infantry is split into two groups; support (the ones with autocannons) and attack (the ones with power swords and other assault weapons). The PCS will lead the charge while the CCS offensive squad will back up advancing wave issuing orders and by helping take out any major speed bumps. There is a little bit of WWI tactics involved and if my opponent has templates Im kind of screwed but their just the poor bloody infantry.

I want to use Harker's (aka Arnold, I'm going to call Marbo Stallone) squad to infiltrate to a postion to cover the flank of the main army and also unleash and torrent of small arms fire. Veteran/shotties are going in the Vendetta

FAST ATTACK:

Scout Sentinels : 115
    Vendetta: 140

Sentinels and the Vendetta are both going to outflank. The veterans and the vendetta will be in charge of covering the flanks and backstabbing the enemies support weapon

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Demolisher: 180 (lascannon)
    Demolisher: 180 (lascannon)

With only 14AV tanks starting on the field alot of the enemy's light and medium anti tank fire will be diminished. Have fun fragging my infantry longfangs :p

Reese's Space Marine and Tyranid WIP Thread: Warp Masters and Friends

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While you are correct in that you've only got AV14 tanks on the field initially, when the outflanking occurs, all those long fangs are going to be looking at your Vendetta. It's already a pretty big fire magnet anyways, and with few targets initially, it'll be rough when it shows up.

The reason the Chimeras work so well, is that you can fire from the safety of a metal box. Riding in a Vendetta you have to get out in order to bring the meltas to bear on the enemy. And with footslogging soldiers with meltas, the opponent can move his tanks out of the way much easier than if they had a ride.

Agree on Marbo. I bring him every game I can, just to harrass a flank or blow up some terminators. His relative power diminishes the larger battle you face, but I still like him.

Harker is good, but he doesn't confer Relentless on the whole squad, just himself, so the autocannon on that squad might be wasted if you're wanting to move around a lot.

Demolishers are good, but they are short ranged. Might swap one out for a vanilla russ.

The infantry squads individually are good, but I think you need to commit to one idea or the other. If you want to go with the blob squad with commissars and power weapons, go for the gusto and have a 50 man squad charging in with a priest and beat up some Space Marines.

I think you've got the right ideas with your units, but I will point out that in most battles it's the "poor bloody infantry" that win the matches. Without scoring units, you're really just playing annhilation each time.

Anyhow, a few tweaks and I think you've got a good list. Good luck.
    General Van Rensaler
    Commander of the Cadian 713th
    "The Sledgehammer of the Emperor"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with General Van Rensaler, he has made a good post. Just to add to that your lone HWS is out of place. HWS are very squishy targets, fragile enough that a single Scatter Laser/Assault Cannon and similar weapons can wipe it out in a turn. I would just take more Infantry Squads and place them inside for protection. On the same note, i would split up your Platoon into two seperate ones in order to take a second PCS. This would allow you to add more special weapons and extra orders, although fairly insignificant they do help.

I also believe your advisors are a waste of points. The Astropath is good, but expensive for a single squadron of Sents and a Detta. The two Bodyguards are likewise inefficient and the 60 points here could be better spent elsewhere. Otherwise, what Van Rensaler said is very good and your list looks relatively solid. Hope it helps and good luck!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

Thanks for the advice! I really like the idea of adding another platoon to my army! And who knows, maybe I should get some chimeras after all and ditch the vendetta :p
    Reese's Space Marine and Tyranid WIP Thread: Warp Masters and Friends

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

I think that this is a solid attempt at a classic infantry list with armor support. I think that I would be inclined to drop the lone Vendetta for another Sentinel Squadron or a unit of Stormtroopers.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a few correction, you can not take a vox caster in the platoon command squad if you have 4 flamers in it. I agree with everyone else. I would clear up some points, and get rid of the lascannons on the demolishers and add plasmas to both of them. Plasmas are capable of doing more, as you need a 4 to hit with the lascannon. With plasmas you will easily be able to wipe out a terminator squad. Hope I could help.

+ Reply to Thread