<3000 2000 points of vanilla (take all comers) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 points of vanilla (take all comers)

Trying to get a wide array of opinions on this list... Open to any suggestions, critiques, etc.

HQ

Epistolary w/ null zone, gate of infinity, term armor+shield - 190

Troops

Tactical squad: 9 Marines w/ melta, multimelta, 1 Sergeant w/ powerfist, combi-melta, Melta Bombs, Rhino - 250
    Tactical squad: 9 Marines w/ melta, multimelta, 1 Sergeant w/ powerfist, combi-melta, Melta Bombs, Rhino - 250
    *These will be my forward objective holders
    Tactical squad: 9 Marines w/ flamer, missile launcher, 1 Sergeant w/ power weapon, combi-flamer, Razorback (TL LC, SB) - 280
    Tactical squad: 9 Marines w/ flamer, missile launcher, 1 Sergeant w/ power weapon, combi-flamer, Razorback (TL LC, SB) - 280
    *Will leave the MLs out of the RBs to hold home base objectives and use the TL LC (might go Las/Plas) to take on vehicles/monstrous critters.

Elites

Term Assault Squad: 9 Assault Term TH/SS, 1 Assault Sergeant TH/SSS - 400 (libby goes here)
    *Do the teleport homers or w/e tac squads can take work with the Terms and the Libby's GoI? If so might drop the SBs off of the Razorbacks and give homers to the Rhino Sarges so I can port in where I want and use GoI to bounce around.

Heavy

Predator: Autocannon, Lascannon sponsons - 120
    *Dakka pred FTW
    Vindicator - 115
    Vindicator - 115
    *Pie plates is good...although I might consider making room for some points and going with some Auto/Heavy Preds

Total - 2000/2000

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x3)

teleport homers do not work with Gate of Infinity. They only work when teleporting terminators from reserve. However, locator beacons do work with Gate as they work with all types of deep strike. Only drop pods and scout bikes can take this upgrade. I would personally drop Epistolary from the Librarian (and take a power other than Gate), drop the storm bolters from the Razorbacks and drop the terminators down to 5 men and then fit in a Land Raider Redeemer with extra armor. I think you need to shave off 5 more points to fit a multi melta on it as well if you want. I just don't think TH/SS terminators are a very good deathstar unit, a very powerful support unit, but not a good deathstar unit. Hoard armies will blow over them, even orks will attack first unless you plan to use regular attacks against them in which case you are better off with assault marines (Librarians can take jump packs). At least fit some lightning claws in there if you are dead set on a full squad. Just my opinion.

Other than your deathstar unit I like the list. Lots of tactical marines can be very powerful and resilient.

4. Thanksbmetok thanked for this post.
    Likebmetok liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the response! It seems like you aren't a fan of the Assault terms in general...is there something you'd recommend in their place or is the 5 man LR squad a suitable substitute? I wouldn't be opposed to dropping them as they're an expensive unit and I would have to purchase them, so if there's something cheaper that would perform better, I'm all for it lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x3)

Assault termies are one of the best units in the SM codex in my opinion.

The "problem" is delivery-system. Libby with gate is not really good, since you can't assault after gating. You normally need a LR.

10 assault termies is a little over the top IMO in your army, unless you go for some sort of special build. 10 also give you more hassel with delivery since you need 2 transports.

5 Assault termies with libby with null zone in a LRC or LRR is great. It's not a anti-hord unit however. Before assaulting some hord units prepare the target with shooting to get the numbers down.

5 assault termies is not considered a deathstar unit - 10 is. Better deathstar than 10 is maybe then libby, another IC (SC or maybe a chaplain) with 5-6 assault termies in LRC.

Last edited by Tyfus; July 9th, 2011 at 19:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyfus View Post
    5 assault termies is not considered a deathstar unit - 10 is. Better deathstar than 10 is maybe then libby, another IC (SC or maybe a chaplain) with 5-6 assault termies in LRC.
    Cool...then the question becomes LC or TH/SS...I'm going to assume that, if they're riding in an assault vehicle, the TH/SS would probably be overkill correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by bmetok View Post
    Cool...then the question becomes LC or TH/SS...I'm going to assume that, if they're riding in an assault vehicle, the TH/SS would probably be overkill correct?
    In a 5 man unit i see most 5 TH/SS, and sometimes 3 TH/SS & 2 LC.

With the claws you hit at Initiative and get +1 for 2 CC weapons, but you loose the 3 inv.save.

Myself i prefere all out TH/SS.

Good luch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x3)

I have two pairs of Lightning claws in my squad. Gives them more versatility which is what Space Marines are all about. The other reason for a transport is precisely for what Tyfus said, "they are not an anti horde unit." To further that topic I would say they are meant for specific targets and foot slogging them makes it easy for your opponent to play the denial game and make sure your terminators are matched up with something they will either lose too, or be tied up by so his other units can do their job unmolested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, so here's an updated list...

HQ - 140
    Librarian
    *Terminator armor + Storm Shield
    *Null Zone and ???

Elite - 475
    Terminator Assault Squad
    *3 TH/SS, 2 LC
    *Land Raider
    **MM, Extra Armor

Troops - 1030
    10 man Tactical Squad in Rhino - 240
    *Melta, Multi-Melta
    *Sgt with PW, CM, MB
    *Melta, Multi-Melta
    *SGT with PW, CM, MB
    10 man Tactical Squad w/ Razorback (LC & TL PG) - 275
    *Flamer, Missile Launcher
    *SGT with PW, CM, MB
    *SGT with PW, CM, MB

Heavy - 265
    Predator
    *Autocannon, HB Sponsons
    Predator
    *Autocannon, HB Sponsons
    Predator
    *Autocannon, HB Sponsons

Total: 1910/2000

So I have 90 points to play with...I was thinking maybe dozer upgrades and Epistolary, then drop melta-bombs and upgrade to a PF on the Rhino squads? That way I could Null Zone and still use force weapon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x3)

Librarian
    *Terminator armor + Storm Shield
    *Null Zone and ???
    Avanger maybe. So you have a shooting power too.

[Troops - 1030
    *Melta, Multi-Melta
    *Sgt with PW, CM, MB
    *Melta, Multi-Melta
    *SGT with PW, CM, MB
    *SGT with PW, CM, MB
    *SGT with PW, CM, MB
    Fine, but i would have some PF too for MC and so on. Maybe take 2 squads with PW/CM/MB and 2 squads with PF/CM.

Maybe consider to drop the ML for LC to get some long range S9.

Otherwise looks fine.

So I have 90 points to play with...I was thinking maybe dozer upgrades and Epistolary, then drop melta-bombs and upgrade to a PF on the Rhino squads? That way I could Null Zone and still use force weapon?
    Dozers could be handy, but how agressive are you really going to be with those tacticals ? Epistolary is expensive. I would instead look to the fast section. Great units are attack bike with multi melta. For 100 you get two, which is a bargain. Turboboost first turn, and then go for a side shot within melta range. Land speeder with multi melta and HF is also great for both anti vec and hord. Use as attack bike or deepstrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avanger maybe. So you have a shooting power too.
    Is that the template one or the Assault 4 one?

Fine, but i would have some PF too for MC and so on. Maybe take 2 squads with PW/CM/MB and 2 squads with PF/CM.
    Can do...that would put me at 80 free points.

Maybe consider to drop the ML for LC to get some long range S9.
    Hmmm...I'll consider it later on, but I simply don't have the money to pay $10 (or more) for LC bits from the devastator box.

Dozers could be handy, but how agressive are you really going to be with those tacticals ? Epistolary is expensive. I would instead look to the fast section. Great units are attack bike with multi melta. For 100 you get two, which is a bargain. Turboboost first turn, and then go for a side shot within melta range. Land speeder with multi melta and HF is also great for both anti vec and hord. Use as attack bike or deepstrike

Well I plan to move at cruising speed first turn, pop smoke, then move another 6 to (hopefully) get me onto objectives and disembark with my rhinos. I'm not sure if that's aggressive or not lol. I was planning on leaving the ML part of the RB squads on home objectives and use the RBs for transport/mc/tank hunting and possibly forward objectives later. LR will go for high-value targets and double as vehicle harassment.

That being said, I have 80 free points...or I can drop a tac squad and free up some more points?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast