ard boys 2500 DEATHWING - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ard boys 2500 DEATHWING

I was originally going to run th sh terms with raven wing bikers with meltas as support units, but they are just too flimsy. So here is my new list, I have never done ard boys before so please let me know if this list stands a chance or what i would need to add to make it more competitive. Thanks in advance.

HQ

Belial
    banner
    feel no pain

Ezekiel

Elites

3x5 terms
    4 th sh
    1 chain fist
    cml

Troops

5 terms
    4 th sh
    1 cf
    Heavy flamer

5x5 terms
    4 th sh terms
    1 cf
    cml

The plan is to give the banner and feel no pain to the troop squad with the flamer and join them with belial and ezekiel to make a anti horde unit with dual flamer and extra attacks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

I agree that ravenwing is a bit flimsy in comparison to th/ss, but a squad of 3 w/ 2 meltaguns can be handy for the scout move and teleport homer, but even more handy are 3 typhoon speeders w/ multimeltas (for slightly less than the cost of one deathwing squad), whether sniping from concealment behind the deathwing advance or suiciding forward to take out heavy armor that the deathwing might have trouble walking to.

That said, I generally feel chainfists aren't worth it due to the decreased survivability of the terminators and the other thunderhammers preventing the vehicle from being able to fire anyways (the melta-wing is usually a better way to deal with av14).

The anti-horde (at least the heavy flamer) isn't really needed either imo, as again th/ss termies can usually bear the brunt of horde assaults and with more than 1 deathwing squad involved easily topple them. Besides, cyclones come with a 2 frag blast option.

Ezekiel... is up to personal preference. Mainly, the table-wide psychic hood is their best feature, which can either save you trouble verse other SM libbies (especially null zone) or Grey Knights in general. But if neither of those are present in your opponents army, the libbies might not be worth the investment. Most people usually prefer an int-chap w/ termie armor as a 2nd hq because of righteous fury's re-roll to hit on the charge, which may be all the anti-horde/everything you're looking for anyways. side-note, since he'll have FnP from the apothecary anyways, might not need the termie armor, he'll will then be able to claim +1a in cc from his bolt pistol and his invuln is still the same.

i'd probably also try to fit in either some vindicators, venerable dreadnoughts w/ plasma cannons, or land raider crusaders (though possible meta of melta spam might make these unviable). it varies on experience, but i've always benefitted very well from incorporating a vindicator and venerable dreadnought w/ plasma cannon and advancing them next to the termies.

My list would look something like this:

Belial w/ apothecary, standard bearer
    Int-Chaplain w/ termie armor
    2x venerable dreadnought w/ plasma cannon, heavy flamer, extra armor
    6x Deathwing w/ 5 th/ss, cyclone
    2x land speeder typhoon w/ multi-melta (dropped the 3rd typhoon for the 2nd dreadnought since i had 85 extra points without it)
    2x vindicator w/ extra armor
    2500 exactly (alternatively, could trade out the 2 dreadnoughts for the 3rd typhoon and a 7th deathwing squad, with 20pts to spare)

tactics-wise, whatever you take/do; move your termies in groups of 2-3 squads (though 3 is preferable) to prevent squads from getting isolated and picked off by faster armies. and moving in a group will ensure at least half of them usually survive making it to melee range in worst case scenarios.
    Last edited by Certs; August 4th, 2011 at 10:25. Reason: slight math error

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So would a list like this be better. I will most likely have to face a dual lash chaos list but I could drop the chap, feel no pain, and switch the ven dread to a reg mm dread to fit ezekiel.

belial
    banner
    FnP
    Interigator chap
    5 th sh terms
    cml
    5 th sh terms
    cml
    5 th sh terms
    cml
    5 th sh terms
    cml
    5 th sh terms
    cml
    5 th sh terms
    cml
    Dread mm
    hf
    Dread mm
    hf
    Ven Dread PC
    hf
    extra armor
    VINDI
    VINDI
    VINDI

2500 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

not quite repeating myself in both of the DA deathwing ard boyz threads.

not sure if i counted wrong, but i think you're 15pts over.

debateable whether zeke would be better than a reg librarian. mainly ld10 for the psychic hood test versus termie armor capable (obtain an invuln save, since force barrier is once per turn and counts towards power per turn limit) and cheaper, zeke's mindworm doesn't seem too reliable to factor in imo.

in concern of dual lash whips, that's 4 wounds per at 5 toughness, with 6 cyclone missile launchers alone, you should roughly cause about 6-7 cover/invuln saves per turn. potentially killing one DP a turn (depending on the dice). or a vindicator could instantkill a DP since it's double their toughness. so if dealt with expediently, they shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially as the power's range is half that of a cyclone missile launcher (24 verse 4, so depending on deployment and movement, he may only get to use the whips once or twice, maybe a couple more if he sprang for wings.

for army accessories, i'd still say 2-3 land speeders w/ multi-meltas and typhoon missile launchers should be a priority after hq and troops, they're just such cheap options for the amount of firepower they bring. about the one standard most DA competitive lists take, deathwing or not. potentially adding another 5 saves per turn to those DP, or sniping at the vindicators/oblits that'll most likely support those lash DP (while the melta will ignore the oblits armor and the missile wont, both'll instantkill an oblit if they wound).

iffy about walkers/vehicles lacking extra armor, since they're the only vehicles in the list they could draw a lot of heavy fire (depends on opponent's view of priorities vehicles vs termies). but a dreadnought's av12 can be prone to stunlock (verse autocannon spam) or destroyed quickly to heavier guns (which venerable helps prevent). but as you have 3 of each it probably doesn't matter either way.

also, if dropping either standardbearer or apothecary, choose the standardbearer first, the feel no pain is much more useful imo.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Certs View Post
    or a vindicator could instantkill a DP since it's double their toughness.
    FYI, daemon princes cant be instant deathed. they have eternal warrior.
    Never give up. Never give up. HIT, HIT, HIT, HIT!

Semper Paratus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do love speeders but compared to dreads and terms they are quite soft I feel like one squad would get whiped out fast. Here is the list im going against.

DP
    wings
    MoS
    Lash

DP
    Wings
    MoS
    Lash

Greater Demon

2x4 terms
    MoT
    4 combi meltas
    1 chain fist

4 chosen
    4 meltas
    all have MB
    rhino

3x8 bezerkers
    PF
    rhino

8 noise marines
    doom siren
    pw
    rhino

2 demolishers

defiler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do love speeders but compared to dreads and terms they are quite soft I feel like one squad would get whiped out fast. Here is the list im going against.

DP
    wings
    MoS
    Lash

DP
    Wings
    MoS
    Lash

Greater Demon

2x4 terms
    MoT
    4 combi meltas
    1 chain fist

4 chosen
    4 meltas
    all have MB
    rhino

3x8 bezerkers
    PF
    rhino

8 noise marines
    doom siren
    pw
    rhino

2 demolishers

defiler

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I do like the second list a lot better...more scoring termies is never a bad thing...then again, more termies is never a bad thing! One change that I would strongly recommend is to change the mm dreads to autocannon dreads, and have them pop cans as they advance. The multimeltas suffer from being single-shot (with a 1/3 chance to miss), and much shorter range. I'll take two S7 shots that hit 89% of the time over a single S8AP1 shot that hits 67% of the time any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. The other issue is that an interrogator chaplain in TDA is useless if you can't get him into melee...and on foot, that's rarely going to happen. When Interrogator-Chaplain Orestus goes into battle, if he's not stepping off the assault ramp of a crusader, he takes a bike instead (and leads a squadron of ravenwing). TBH, your list doesn't need the IC, and anyway, he's not going to do you any good. I'd spend those points pimping out the rest of your list, like five more sets of extra armor and venerable status for the other two dreads... If dropping the banner gives you enough bonus points, I'd also take a stripped down landspeeder...leave it in reserve to come in as late as possible and turbo-boost around avoiding combat, except that from turn five on, it has to end each turn contesting an enemy-held objective. In ard boyz, that one cheap little unit can make the difference between major/minor/massacre...and shifting one game's result by one category can get you into the regionals!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright what do u think about this I dropped the chap down graded the ven dread, dropped the upgrades on, and dropped all the heavy flamers on the dreads for 3 cml mm speeders. Im still torn on dropping the mm cause im not sure I have enough heavy armor anti tank. what about givin all the dreads assult cannons. Heres my current list idea let me know what you think.

belial 2LC
    5 th sh terms
    cml
    5 th sh terms
    cml
    5 th sh terms
    cml
    5 th sh terms
    cml
    5 th sh terms
    cml
    5 th sh terms
    cml
    Dread assult cannon
    Dread assult cannon
    Dread assult cannon
    3 land speeders
    mm
    cml
    VINDI
    VINDI
    VINDI

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

With a list like that, what do you need more antitank shooting for? With 2+/3++, you wade through enemy fire and beat on the hull with fifteen thunderhammer swings. ~shrug~ problem solved. Anyway, this latest list looks awesome...but hideously expensive to buy! $300+ just for the termies...
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast