<1000 500 point list against Chaos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

500 point list against Chaos

So, I've bee running a following 500 point Space Marine list regularly:

Chaplain
    Tactical Squad w/meltagun, plasmacannon
    Rhino
    Scout Squad w/PW, CCWs, meltabombs
    Land Speeder Storm w/assault cannon

The list worked very well against Space Wolves and moderately well against Chaos Marines. "Moderately well" meaning that while I had decent chances in objective missions I was outclassed as an army and would undoubtedly fail in Annihilation missions and risk being Tabled in objective ones, too.

The problematic Chaos list was:

Sorcerer (Lash)
    5 Plague Marines w/2xplasmagun
    Rhino
    5 Chaos Space Marines w/pf
    5 Chaos Space Marines w/pf

Its quite obvious that while my Scouts and Chaplain + half of tactical can (and did) wipe a CSM squad each in assault I have only the plasmacannon to deal with the Lash+plasmaguns combo. Especially when the plasmaguns are carried by pesky Plague Marines.

Any ideas on how I should change my list?

Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Some minor tweaks: If his lash is giving you that much problems, you can always swap out your chaplain for a librarian. Not only will you shut down his psyker, but he'll have no defense against you.

In addition, I'd trade out those scouts for some sniper scouts. Plague marine toughness means nothing to 4+ to wound and the occasional rend.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try this:
    Libby - 100
    2 scout squads - 150
    Land raider - 250

"Victory is sweet, blood is sweeter." - Aun'Vre

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Hehe, what was the one with the two vindicators?

HQ
    Librarian

Troops
    5x sniper scouts
    5x sniper scouts

Heavy
    Vindicator
    Vindicator

You can also swap out the libby for a MotF with a conversion beamer if you don't want to be too cheesy.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Thanks for the suggestions. As my collection does not include Sniper Scouts or a Land Raider I can't use any of those suggestions right away, but I'll keep the ideas in mind.

After last nights games against Space Wolfs (lost due to his dreadnought getting to run amok in assault) and Dark Eldar (draw due to me having troubles killing his Cronos) I've decided to ditch all semblance of assault/close-combat ability from the list. Fact is that pretty much everyone and their dog are better than vanilla marines at it, so I'll go with straight-up shooting list. While running a Vindicator or two might be amusing I don't really trust my luck with scatter dice anymore and S10 is not that necessary in 500 points so I decided to try the following list next time:

Librarian (Force Dome, Avenger)
    Tactical Squad (10 men) w/meltagun, lascannon
    Rhino
    Tactical Squad (8 men)
    Rhino

Its not cheese, but it has plenty of T4/3+ troops for objectives, a few heavier can-opener weapons, MEQ-killer psychic flamer and LOTS of boltgun shots. At least against those Dark Eldar the plain old boltgun did most of the job... even in killing Cronos.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

479 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    Librarian (Force Dome, Avenger)
    Tactical Squad (10 men) w/meltagun, lascannon
    Rhino
    Tactical Squad (8 men)
    Rhino
    I'm not too keen on having two full tac squads in a 500 point list (I like having a lot of cheap units versus a few tricked out units at that point level), but I would recommend changing your second unit to something like:

Tac Squadx5, Sgt w/ Powerfist
    Razorback

I think a powerfist and heavy bolter will help you out a lot more than 3 bolters. The main issue being that you need something that can fight against dreads in close combat. Otherwise you have a dread get in close combat with your shooty squad and you'll never get him out of there.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Klajorne View Post
    I'm not too keen on having two full tac squads in a 500 point list (I like having a lot of cheap units versus a few tricked out units at that point level), but I would recommend changing your second unit to something like:

Tac Squadx5, Sgt w/ Powerfist
    Razorback

I think a powerfist and heavy bolter will help you out a lot more than 3 bolters. The main issue being that you need something that can fight against dreads in close combat. Otherwise you have a dread get in close combat with your shooty squad and you'll never get him out of there.
    Good points. How about:

Librarian
    Force Dome, Might of the Ancients

10 man Tactical Squad w/meltagun, lascannon
    Rhino
    10 man Tactical Squad w/meltagun, plasmacannon

I'll lose the mobility of second Rhino or Razorback but gain a lot more bodies, meltagun, plasmacannon and ability to combat squad in return. Might of the Ancients comes cheaper than powerfist and is actually better against Vehicles.

+ Reply to Thread