<2000 New to Grey Knights 2000 points - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Grey Knights 2000 points

I have been on and off with 40k, mostly as a collector never really playing a game. I was looking for an army that I can sink my teeth into. I have always loved the design of terminator armor, and when I found out I can make an entire army out of terminators using Gk I jumped for joy. I am aiming for a tourny type list but also able to be fun.

HQ
    Lord Kaldor Draigo: 275

Elite
    Paladin Squad: 1x Apothecary, 4x Paladin, Psybolt Ammunition: 370

Troops
    Gk Terminator Squad: 1x Psycannon, 8x Falchions: 385
    Gk Terminator Squad: 1x Psycannon, 8x Deamonhammer: 345
    Gk Terminator Squad: 1x Psycannon, 8x Halberd: 345

Heavy
    Dreadnought: 2x Twin-Linked Autocannon, Psybolt Ammunition : 135
    Total:1990

Strategy
    With the 2+ saves my terminators should survive alot of firepower while doing damage from afar with the psycannon. Then in close combat they should be able to handle almost anything.(I hope)
    Protecting them from afar are the two Dreadnoughts laying cover fire. i was thinking about going with the dreadnight but for 40 points more I get two bodies instead of one. Also with the paladin squad with feel no pain leading the charge, and Draigo should be fun. I have not playtested nor will have the chance. I am mearly making the list before I break my wallet buying the army. Any opinions are welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: He is good but if you take him you should also take plenty of paladins (he makes them troops). Otherwise just take a librarian or regular grand master to save points.

Elites: Take 2 psycannon (mastercrafted too) and a mix of close combat weapons. Apothecary is very expensive, you could just buy more paladins for extra wounds.

Troops: Take 10 man squads to get 2 psycannon per unit and it also lets you combat squad. Always take a mix of weapons in the unit. Immagine the horror of an enemy dread or defiler charging an expensive unit of termies with only halberds or falchions and being locked in combat forever.

Heavy: Good.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

I agree with Mad Cat on all accounts.

If you want to keep up with the Uber terminator theme, you could try taking Modraik, and some ghost knights, OR, take Justicar Thrawn (or both!)

Modraik is a lot of fun, with his "First into the fray" special rule. Drop him and his squad right next to something you want disrupted, and they'll sit there, survive the shots, and hopefully spawn some extra terminators in the process.

Thrawn is simply amazing, especially if you're running a Terminator army. If he gets up once, he's paid for his points premium.

If Thrawn dies, the following things happen:
    Your opponent *must* babysit his corpse with something that can penetrate 2+ saves reliably. Or else Thrawn will stand up at the worst possible time for them and assault something important.
    See above, except he "dies" on an objective. If he stands up, he can capture it. He's now a one model unit. Depending on your groups interpretations of the rules, he can capture it. He's still a troops choice.
    See above, but he can't capture (because your group interprets the rules differently). He simply contests, forcing my first point: Leaving something around to deal with it.

Thrawn is bloody amazing for a Termiantor list IF you can afford the premium, which, IMO, is worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so taking everything into consderation, I'm loving Grand Master Mordrak and Thawn. The new Army of the dead!

HQ
    Grand Master Mordrak, 5x Ghost Terminators: 400

Elite
    Paladin Squad: 5x Paladin, Psybolt Ammunition: 295

Troops
    Gk Terminator Squad: Justicator Anvil Thawn, 2x Psycannon, Psybolt Ammunition, 4x Deamonhammer, 4x Halberd, 1x Force Sword: 545
    Gk Terminator Squad: 2x Psycannon, Psybolt Ammunition, 4x Deamonhammer, 4x Halberd, 1x Force Sword: 470

Heavy

Total:1980

So with two ten man squads, a five man squad, a six man squad and two Dreads its a small army. It packs a hell of a punch, the more wounds Mordrak gets the more Ghost he pumps out. Thawn keeps coming back to be annoying. Paladins beating face with Dread support. Seems good what you guys think now.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Drop Psybolt ammo from the paladins (only 5 of them isnt worth it) and add 2 psycannon to them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drop some of the deamon hammers on your terms and give them some swords for the better saves, you want like 1 hammer for every 5 models, 4 hammers is serious overkill. as madcat said drop the psybolt and use the spare points to give ur paladins 2 psycannons a hammer and 2 halberds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ
    Grand Master Mordrak, 5x Ghost Terminators: 400

Elite
    Paladin Squad: 5x Paladin, 2x Psycannon, 1x Deamonhammer, 2x Halbred, 2x Sword : 315

Troops
    Gk Terminator Squad: Justicator Anvil Thawn, 2x Psycannon, Psybolt Ammunition, 2x Deamonhammer, 4x Halberd, 4x Force Sword: 545
    Gk Terminator Squad: 2x Psycannon, Psybolt Ammunition, 2x Deamonhammer, 4x Halberd, 4x Force Sword: 470

Heavy

Total: 2000

Here you go maxed out.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Yep that's a killer list.

If you use grand strategy to reroll 1's on the huge termie units (who can then combat squad) it will be really powerful. Scout could also be fun if you are up against a static army.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

I like it. I'll actually try running a list like that next GK game I play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please let me know how it works out for you. Put up a batrep or something. much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread