<2000 Space Wolves 2000 pts army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Wolves 2000 pts army

Hello I'm pretty new to 40k and this is my first real list. I would love any advice y'all can give on it, I plan to face mostly SM BA and Eldar so I have taken that into account building this list. Also if someone could tell me if when adding points you add the storm shield and thunder hammer cost I'm confused about that. Thank y'all for all the help

HQ
    Wolf Lord-250
    +Belt of Russ
    +Terminator armor
    +Thunder Hammer
    +Wolf Talisman
    +Wolf Tooth Necklace
    +Saga of the Bear
    +Combi-Melta
    Rune Priest-170
    +Terminator armor
    +Master of Runes
    Logan Grimnar-275
    Troops
    5x Wolf Guard-465
    + 2x TH/SS
    +Terminator armor
    +2x Dual Wolf Claws
    +Combi-Melta
    +Arjac Rockfist
    +Drop Pod
    I'm taking two more units of 5 Wolf Guard as above without Arjac. This is my first time posting and building a list all help is greatly appreciated thank you
    - Whit

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off let me welcome you to 40k, its a great game and hobby and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Now as far as the list goes, its not legal. You have no troop choices Wolf Guard are not troop choices they are an elite choice. You must take at least two troop choices to have a legal army list in the case of space wolves thats either Blood Claw Packs, or Grey Hunter Packs.

As far as your HQs that Wolf Lord is way to expensive 250pts for a non special character is alot of points to put into one HQ choice. Plus some of your wargear on him doesnt make sense like the Belt of Russ, you are already getting a 5+ invul save from the terminator armour so spending 25pts for the 4+ save you get from the belt isnt worth it. If you are that worried about a good invul save I would drop the belt and the combi-melta and take a Storm Shield which gives you a 3+ invul save. Also the Wolf Tooth Necklace doesnt make much sense either, you said you were going to be playing mostly SM, BA, and Eldar...and besides the Eldar the other two armies dont really have anything you wouldnt be hitting on with a 3+ anyway with your WS of 6. Now if you said you were going to be playing against Nids, Eldar, or Chaos Deamons alot then I would think about taking it...but i might still consider sinking those points into something else.

Also you might want some diversity in your list too. Taking 3 Wolf Guard packs takes up way to much of your army list as your dropping more then half of your army points into three units. You are missing out on some great space wolf units like Long Fangs...which in my opinion and many others, are the best unit space wolves have. For about 150pts you can have a very good Long Fangs squad that can shoot at two different squads.....very powerful. Also a 2000pts you should have at least some dedicated transports in their.....like maybe a Land Raider for your termies.

Hope this helps, post what you come up with after you make some changes I would love to see the list.
    Last edited by TheNextMikeIke; December 5th, 2011 at 16:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once I get home I'm gonna make some changes but Logan Grimnar allows me to take wolf guard as troop choices but thank you for the advice. Ill post the revised list as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Stonewallwhit Whit; December 5th, 2011 at 19:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also forgot a key part I have 2 squads of 5 long fangs with missiles for heavy support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok well here is my new list with some changes any advice is appreciated. This list is a Termy heavy list and I'm also debating dropping the Rune Priest and getting more Long Fangs so let me know what y'all think about that.

Total points:1995
    HQ
    Wolf Lord Tyr- 235pts
    TH/SS, Terminator armor, two wolves (doing this for lore but it's dumb just tell me), Saga of the Bear (don't wanna be insta-killed)
    Rune Priest Myor- 170pts
    Terminator armor, Master of Runes, Jaws of the World Wolf, Living Lightning, Chooser of the Slain
    Logan Grimnar-275
    Troops
    Wolf Guard-295
    5x Guard 2x TH/SS 2x Dual Wolf Claws (thoughts on these), Drop Pod, Combi-Melta
    Wolf Guard-295
    Wolf Guard-295
    Arjac RockFist-170 (I heard he was a steal for his points and tough to kill)
    Heavy Support
    Long Fangs-125
    x6 Long Fangs, x5 Missile launchers
    Long Fangs-125
    x6 Long Fangs, x5 Missile launchers
    Thank y'all for all the help
    -Whit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewallwhit Whit View Post
    Once I get home I'm gonna make some changes but Logan Grimnar allows me to take wolf guard as troop choices
    Wow sorry didnt even see him in your list. Anyway your new list is looking better but I would still drop one of the Wolf Guard packs and use those points on 2 squads of Grey Hunters. 5 man troop squads dont hold objectives very well, so you would get 2 10 man Grey Hunter squads to hold objectives and still have 2 Wolf Guard units to do some damage with, also I would drop saga of the bear in my opinion its to expensive, plus your main HQ choice is Logan not the wolf lord.

Remember these are just suggestions you should play how you want to not how other people tell you to. At the End of the day if you had a good time win or lose you had a good day.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    421 (x8)

Just a quick note on your Long Fangs packs, they come to 140pts per squad, not 125pts.
    One shall stand, and one shall fall.

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Wolf Lord Tyr- 235pts TH/SS, Terminator armor, two wolves (doing this for lore but it's dumb just tell me), Saga of the Bear (don't wanna be insta-killed)
    First off, the Wolf Lord is a beast in CC, but so is Grimnar. I would just take him out of this list completely, but if you insist on using him, here is a better set-up for less points. Terminator Armor, Wolf Claws. You want to take full advantage of his above average initiative, and a Thunder hammer, albeit awesome, detracts from that. That is why Wolf Claws are better.
    Rune Priest Myor- 170pts Terminator armor, Master of Runes, Jaws of the World Wolf, Living Lightning, Chooser of the Slain
    Get rid of the Master of Runes, it is useless for a Psycher with 2 Shooting attacks. Even though the Master of Runes states you can use 2 Powers in the same turn, you can still only use 1 Psychic shooting attack. Jaws and Lightning both happen to be shooting attacks, meaning you can't use both in 1 turn!
    Logan Grimnar-275
    The only reason to take Grimnar is to run a Terminator List, and by the looks of it, that's what you want to do. So I say keep him, he is an awesome character and a beast in CC. With Eternal Warrior and 3 wounds, he is a very tough nut to crack.
    Wolf Guard-295 5x Guard 2x TH/SS 2x Dual Wolf Claws (thoughts on these), Drop Pod, Combi-Melta Wolf Guard-295 5x Guard 2x TH/SS 2x Dual Wolf Claws (thoughts on these), Drop Pod, Combi-Melta Wolf Guard-295 5x Guard 2x TH/SS 2x Dual Wolf Claws (thoughts on these), Drop Pod, Combi-Melta
    A more competitive way to run these guys is such: 5 Wolf Guard in Terminator Armor: 1 Wolf Claw and Storm Shield, 1 Wolf Claw and Combi Storm Bolter, 1 ChainFist and Cyclone Missile Launcher and Storm Shield, 1 Power Sword and Storm Bolter, 1 Power Sword and Combi Storm Bolter. The squad comes to 260 points, and provides long range fire power in the form of a Cyclone Missile Launcher. Essentially, you will want to move up the field, firing your cyclone, and then get into combat!
    Arjac RockFist-170 (I heard he was a steal for his points and tough to kill)
    Arjac is good, but your points costs is wrong. If you noticed in the codex, he is an "upgrade" character. Meaning you have to purchase a normal Wolf Guard, then upgrade him to Arjac, making him 188 points.
    Long Fangs-125 x6 Long Fangs, x5 Missile launchers Long Fangs-125 x6 Long Fangs, x5 Missile launchers
    Uh Oh! More wrong math. Long Fangs equipped as such come in at a cool 140 points. 90 for the squad, 50 for the missiles. Apart from that, these guys are perfect. Exactly how you should run Long Fangs.

So with all of these Critique's I have a sample army for you! It is actually the same Logan Wing army I play, hope you like it!

Logan Grimnar
    Rune Priest
    -Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane **Note that I don't give him Terminator armor. It's a bit of a waste IMO, and it save on points!

Wolf Guard x6
    -Terminator Armor x5
    -Wolf Claw, Storm Shield
    -Wolf Claw, Combi (Depends on what you need, but in Tourney's I always take Melta)
    -Power Sword, Combi (Depends on what you need, but in Tourney's I always take Melta)
    -Cyclone Missile Launcher, Storm Shield, ChainFist (This is the most important model in the squad, don't put wounds on him unless you have to)
    -Power Sword, Storm Bolter
    -PowerFist and Combi-Melta (This guy goes with the Scouts)

Wolf Guard x5
    -Terminator Armor x5
    -Wolf Claw, Storm Shield
    -Wolf Claw, Combi (Depends on what you need, but in Tourney's I always take Melta)
    -Power Sword, Combi (Depends on what you need, but in Tourney's I always take Melta)
    -Cyclone Missile Launcher, Storm Shield, ChainFist (This is the most important model in the squad, don't put wounds on him unless you have to)

Wolf Guard x5
    -Terminator Armor x5
    -Wolf Claw, Storm Shield

Wolf Guard x5
    -Terminator Armor x5
    -Wolf Claw, Storm Shield

Wolf Guard x3 (This unit has one purpose only, and that is to take my home objective. I generally leave them in reserve if it is an Objectives mission)
    -3 Combi-Plasma's

Scouts x10
    -Melta Gun
    -2 Power Weapons

Long Fangs x6
    -5 Missile Launchers

Long Fangs x6
    -5 Missile Launchers

The idea behind this list is pretty simple, shoot the enemy with the Long Fangs, and Cyclone's while you footslog the Terminators to get into combat. The Scouts are there to make people warry of staying to close to the back board edge, which gives the attacker (Space Wolf Player) less space to cover.
    Last edited by Wolf Guard; December 6th, 2011 at 03:13.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Double Post.
    Last edited by Wolf Guard; December 6th, 2011 at 03:13.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much for the suggestions I think I'll make a fun list just to goof off with my friends and then a list like you built to compete with once I get home I'll punch the numbers thank you to everyone for all the help.
    -Whit

+ Reply to Thread