<1000 500pt First shot at Gaurd - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

500pt First shot at Gaurd

Ok so as the tittle says - This was my first attempt at gaurd and I was quite impressed, a few things i didnt find quite up to scratch and am looking at viable options to replace them... It is actually for a teams tournament on new years day so the restrictions are - 1HQ + 1Troop - No large blasts

This is what I ran with:

HQ

Lord Commisar w/camo cloak

TROOP

Platoon Command w/4x Flamers

Infantry Squad w/Power Weapon, Melta Bombs, Autocanon

FAST

2x Scout Sentinals

HEAVY

Hydra Flak Tank

=500pts

Now I am happy with the infantry, just not too sure on what to run in HS/FA/Elite? The flak tank I guess is good for popping light vehicles, but at 500pts Im pretty sure the infantry squad/s will do fine taking out/stopping light vehicles in the first 1-2 turns... The underperformer of the game was the Sentinals, I liked the idea of a couple of S6 shots a turn, but they really didnt achieve much at all...?

I had fun with the blob until it got assualted by a 3-man BA assualt squad, I lost 2 men, killed 1 in return (yes 1!! - 9 PW attacks, and 25 regular i believe?), failed my Ld10 test, shot a Searg, failed my Ld10 again and got ran down
    I know it was just terrible luck so am not too upset about it, and I would have to say they were by far the best unit in the game..

Any/All advice is welcomed thank you

-Poke-

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: I prefer a CCS with standard and several GLs.

Troops: 4 flamers are great in a chimera, otherwise take 4 GLs. Squads should take AC+GL and ditch the power weapons & MBs.

Fast: OK, they wiork better in larger games with AC where they can outflank and shoot tanks in the flank/rear.

Heavy: Great.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only trouble is that the Platoon counts as only 1 troop choice for the basic minimum requirement. Might want to ditch the Camo Cloak, power fist, melt bombs, for a VET Squad with demolitions and 3 flamers.

Lord Commissioner

Veteran Squad, demolitions with 3 Flamers 115

Platoon
    PCS autocanon,2 g1 50
    squad 1 autocanon, gl, 65
    squad 2 autocanon, gl, 65

Sentinel scout

Hydra

490 points, you can blob the platoon squads, and use the lord commissar to make them stubborn, also you can issue bring it down to twin link your auto canons, grenade launchers and las guns flash lights.

or
    Primaris Psyker, chimera 125

1 VET Squad 3 meltaguns, shotguns chimera, 155
    1 vet Squad 2 Meltaguns, shotguns,Chimera, 145
    Hydra

bring you the pykers weapon plus, 5 melt guns 14 shotguns, the hydras, 3 multi lasers, 3 heavy flamers.
    Last edited by wildcat.xray; December 27th, 2011 at 07:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I would second the suggestion of wildcat. You must try out Veterans in a chimera (armed with a multilaser and heavy flamer) with meltaguns.

This is a staple unit that all new guard players should learn inside out. Don't think you have to take static infantry squads just because that is what guard used to be!

Also, drop the Lord Commisar. Company Command Squads are one of the best and most point efficient squads in the codex! Whenever possible take 2.
    Last edited by kroxigor01; December 27th, 2011 at 05:35.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

I thank you all for your input, I will most certainly try out vets in the future. One note is that only 1 troop choice was required per person per team. I must say this however, that I really like the power weapon blob unit with stubborn, as it gives them the ability to take on most units in CC. Im sure that if my 30 man ld10 Stubborn unit hadnt been run down after losing 3 wounds in combat, that the game would have been as one sided as a game could be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hows about this list.....

psyker

vendetta

vet squad with 3 x melta and power sword

executioner

in 500 pts most players wouldnt be able to field much anti tank so an executioner will be very hard to shift and can take out loads of infantry. the vendetta with 3 twin linked las cannons can deal with any armour they have, and the melta vets and psyker can mop up anything thats left

+ Reply to Thread