<1000 750pt Marine List - hell needed to finish it. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x2)

750pt Marine List - hell needed to finish it.

Hi all,

Basically after a couple of battles I've been having recently I've decided to try and upgrade my 500pt lists to 750, so I have greater options on what to get and so on. I'm still trying to build them around models I already have, so as to save cash, but on the whole, I'm open to various different builds and so on.

Anyway, here is the marine list. What I've tried to build it around is my 30 Tactical marines, so as to make use of them, which would have been impossible in my 500pt list, obviously, that many marines is expensive, so it is mostly a foot-slogger list, but I have included some tanks and so on to get some anti-armour in there.

Captain - Bolter with Hellfire rounds, Power Weapon - 125

10 Tactical Marines - Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun - 180

Predator Tank - T/L Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons - 130

5 Scouts - Bolters* - 75 * Might swap the bolters for snipers/hand weapons & CCWs/Shotguns depending on the advice I get

Land Speeder Storm - None - 50

Land Speeder - Multi-Melta & Heavy Bolter - 70

Total - 810

Thoughts? The basic idea is to use the scouts in the LSS to get to objectives latest turn 2 and then hold them for long enough for the marines to arrive. They will be supported in this by their land speeders and the tank.

The Marines are kitted out for killing pretty much anything, with the plasma and missile combination they can take on a variety of troops, MEQs, GEQs, and even TEQs with Krak missiles and plasma, although they may suffer to hordes. Their job is to get to the scouts ASAP so as to bolster them against any enemies trying to get the objectives, once that's done, they will then press the attack, or alternatively hold the objectives.

The Captain is designed to go with the marines, and be a beat-stick if needs be, his main role is to shoot rather than chop stuff up, although I wont be afraid to use him in that role if needs be,

Finally the tank and Land Speeder are also there to destroy any enemy armour, with lascannons and multi-meltas, they can take on anything up to and including land raiders and monoliths.

Obviously at 810pts this list is way over and hence unfinished... any suggestions for beating it down to 750?

Lastly this list unfortunately does not very well conform to my original desire to use as many of my original models as possible, as everything except the Tac marines & Captain is stuff I would have to buy! So, are there also any suggestions for incorporating a greater number of the following into this list without breaking it's viability?

- 3 x 10 Tactical Marines

- 1 Rhino

- 1 Raz-back with Heavy Bolter

- Honour Guard/ Command Squad* Not really that necessary really... I've painted 'em all up as veterans, and they all have power swords and storm bolters, if I fielded them as a CCS they'd be ruinously expensive, but I've no problem putting 'em in as beefed up sergeants with Power Weapons and Storm Bolters

Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Here is what I would do that would help follow what you are looking for points wise and model wise.

10 Tactical Marines - Missile Launcher, Flamer - 170

10 Tactical Marines - Missile Launcher, Meltagun, Rhino - 210

Predator Tank - Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons - 120

5 Scouts - Bolters* - 75 * Might swap the bolters for snipers/hand weapons & CCWs/Shotguns depending on the advice I get

=750

You how have some better Anti-tank with the Pred, the Land Speeder may be gone but you still have a melta shot with the Tac Squad and a rhino to transport a combat squad and the Cap. while a missile sits back on your home objective. I threw the Flamer in there to save on some points and to help with hordes. You can always switch the Rhino to the other group if you need a mobile flamer too. Another option is to drop the Meltagun for another Flamer and change the Rhino to the Razorback.

Let me know what you think.

PS. You may want to give your scouts shotguns and use your storm as a fast fire-base that give you the option of assaulting if needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a point - if u have no interest in giving your Captain an extra attack then for the same point cost u should get Lightning Claws, they have more for the same price - Just a thought - and i think the rest is perfect for that kind of point cost for
    Dracus list
    Last edited by The Doctor 22; February 16th, 2012 at 23:39.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Comments in blue

Quote Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
    As the chap above me said, a Single Lightning Claw works out better if you're not taking a pistol or some such. I guess this is the Black reach Captain though? so converting him might be hard. Leave him as he is though as in bigger games you can grab a Relic blade.

These looks good. Grabbing a Power Weapon or Fist can be very,very, handy as it'll give your boys that extra bite in combat ad can be a last ditch against Monstrous Creatures, Walkers and Tanks.

Predator Tank - T/L Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons - 130
    Swap the Bolters for Lascannons and leave the Turret Las at home. You get more punch for less points.

If they're there to hold objectives take Snipers. The added range is good and wounding on a 4+ is great for taking out big beasties.

Seeing as scouts can infiltrate I don't really see the point in the Storm. Leaving it at home will take you down to where you want to be in points.

Land Speeder - Multi-Melta & Heavy Bolter - 70
    Just take a Speeder with a MM. This'll save you points to grab some power fists etc..

Total - 810
    Last edited by Lord Borak; February 17th, 2012 at 10:09.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 (x2)

Thank you for the replies

10 Tactical Marines - Missile Launcher, Flamer - 170

10 Tactical Marines - Missile Launcher, Meltagun, Rhino - 210

=750

This list does seem like a good starting point, what I might do is edit is slightly though so it fits a bit better with my preferred play-style. As a matter of interest, do you think combat squadding is essential for effective marine lists? Reason I ask is because I've never really done it before, and I'm a bit of a stubborn traditionalist :p, plus I like the look of a full unit of 10 marines marching across the battlefield rather than 5 haha.

It might also be useful to say actually, that I mostly do friendly games at home rather than at GW, objective games at home generally turn into death-matches anyway with the objective being a passing interest... I should really think up a way of making the objectives the point of the games rather than just there's the central building, and then everything attacks it and the result is everything is dead with no real tactics lol.

hmm... what I may do is keep my current set-up of the Tactical Marines, not get a rhino (that way even if there is home-side objectives I could combat squad both units, leave the missiles behind and still march forward with 10 marines, albeit in 2 5 man squads, in order to satisfy my strange fetish of seeing a 10 man squad march forward haha ) use that pred set-up, and run the scouts pretty much as Dracus suggested.

As for the captain, when you talk about him using Lightning claws over power weapons, do you suggest this because of their identical pts cost, but because the claw has the re-roll to wound and power weapon rules? hence the greater oomph you mentioned?

I'll post up a revised list in a bit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 (x2)

Ok...

Captain - Lightning Claw, Bolter with Hellfire Rounds - 125

10 Tactical Marines - Missile Launcher & Plasma Gun - 180

10 Tactical Marines - Missile Launcher & Plasma Gun - 180

Total - 730

And there we have it Thoughts? With those extra 20pts I could get a Multi-Melta on the LSS (although with BS3 it'll only hit half the time) or a Heavy Bolter on the scouts, or possible another upgrade for the captain of some kind, e.g. Artificer armour. I may well follow your advice on the Tactical Marines, even though I've kept them the same, and combat squad them if I need to hold objectives in my own half of the table.

Anyway, yup, thanks for your advice, I look forward to hearing more words of wisdom on improving this list further.

EDIT: Oh yes I forgot to mention that the model I'm using to represent my Captain is one of the Tyranic War vets, the one with the robotic arm - I'm gonna give him an Iron halo to distinguish him, just in case his armour doesn't already - trust me, he is the ONLY model in the army which will have that much bling, so it'll be pretty obvious who's in charge. On the WYSIWYG front, obviously he doesn't fit the bill of power weapons, lightning claws etc... but in friendly games that wont matter really - aside from this, correct me if I'm wrong but WYSIWYG is only really applied strictly for tourneys isn't it? In a regular GW, do you think many people will care if I have the list in front of me, and they can see which model is the captain?...
    Last edited by Blackadder; February 17th, 2012 at 13:43.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd swap the scout bolters for snipers but it is personal prefernce as they have a longer range and can wound monstrous creatures. I also combo this with the hellfire shells you get from scout heavy bolters as they can do multiple wounds say on a few carnifexes or something like that.

I think its quite cool you got one of the tyrannic war vets as i was to late to get one and yes, because of the fact that the model is metal, people will recognize it as a captain quite easily in friendlies but i think tourneys would be a little bit more stricter.

+ Reply to Thread