<2000 1500pt Campaign - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1500pt Campaign

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pt Campaign

Right at out LFGS we're planning to run a campaign with missions from cities of death, planet strike and battle missions. Only downside is we're not allowed named characters, so to my disappointment that rules out my dark angels and battle sisters. Also means i can't use pask in exterminator

So here are two lists i've thought of what do you guys think would be best?

HQ:
    Techpriest 45

Troops:
    veterans 150 x 2 = 300
    2 meltas, flamer, chimera (multi-las, heavy flamer)

Fast Attack:
    Vendetta 140
    heavy bolters

Hellhound 130

Banewolf 135
    smoke launchers

Heavy Support:
    leman Russ Exterminator 185
    heavy bolters, lascannon

2 Leman russ Demolishers 360
    lascannons

Leman Russ Battle Tank 205
    plasma cannons, lascannon

Or is this list better?

HQ:
    Techpriest 45

Elites:
    5 storm troopers 105
    2 meltas

Troops:
    veterans 150
    2 meltas, flamer, chimera (multi-las, heavy flamer)

Fast Attack:
    Vendetta 140
    Heavy Bolters

Hellhound or banewolf (not decided yet) 135
    smoke launchers

Heavy:

Demolisher squad (as above) 360

Leman Russ Battle tank(as above) 205

Leman Russ Battle Tank (as above) 205

(5 pts spare in this list, not sure what to do with it...)

Last edited by cypher371; February 22nd, 2012 at 16:02.
    Win Loss Ratios:
    GK: 2:1 Daemons: 5:2 SoB: 5:1 CSM: 1:1 IG: 5:2 BA: 3:1 Deathwing: 6:1 Ravenwing: 1:3 DA 3rd Company: 3:1 SM: 3:1 Necrons: 5:1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Both lists have the same weaknesses: not enough scoring units and no meatshields for the Russes. At a minimum, you should have a third unit to ride in the Vendy and some way to counter deepstrikers or early charges against your Russes. Also, a pure treadhead list like this one won't do well in any sort of cityfight or terrain-heavy scenario. One vehicle gets stunned in a bottleneck and you've got a traffic jam.

Trade one of the Veteran squads for an infantry platoon. The PCS can be your second 'Veteran', the infantry can be blobbed or kept separate as the scenario requires (and infantry blobs are the best way to defend a Russ) and you'll be able to take an SWS to ride in the skimmer. Drop one of the Demolishers to afford this. I'm a fan of squadroning but the Russ Demo's short range does a lot to negate the benefits.

On a similar note, consider trading the Russ Exterminator for a trio of autocannon Armored Sentinels. They're about the same firepower and price, yet they'll also be more comfortable operating in terrain. Keep an LRD and LRBT for open-range uses. You'll have to either remove an FA choice or squadron the Hounds, though. I recommend the latter. A pair of Hellhounds (especially with hull meltas) is a strong performer; what it loses in AP compared to the Banewolf, it gains in better range, instant death to non-Marines and effectiveness against light armor. Do both of these changes and you'll also have a total of eight medium-armor units--enough to overload most armies' antitank weapons.

I'm not sure about the Enginseer HQ but if there's a list that needs him then this is it. Still, if you can find the points then a Primaris psyker might serve you better. It's common for scenarios to place extra duties or importance on an army's HQ. Dakka-boy with his force weapon will do better than Mr. Monkey Wrench when that happens.

If points get tight then the Vendetta's heavy bolters can go; they don't combine well with the lascannons. The Russes don't need both sponsons and hull lascans, either. Nothing wrong with these choices but it's always better to scrap a couple upgrades than drop a unit.

If you want to go experimental then you could bring 3-4 Penal Legions instead of the Veterans for your troops and then go crazy on armor selections. They can mostly look after themselves and Scouts makes them versatile, but they're not Gods of CC and would need a regimental standard nearby for reliable leadership.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed i need more scoring units, if anything that's what i should focus on. unfortunately infantry blob (especially with platoons) is a no go for me... have you seen the prices of death korps? (now i think of it i probably should have mentioned its with death korps models for infantry... ) but on that note i could easily drop a demolisher for another veteran squad (represented by storm troopers as i have those) with lascannon and 2 plasma guns (would like auto cannon but don't have one and with deathkorps i really gotta make sure every buy is worth it...) and that will leave me points spare to either up the priest to a psyker and maybe give the extra unit a doctrine though doctrines are a lot of points.

HQ
    Primaris Psyker 70

Troops:
    Veterans 150 (can't remember range of his power, but thinking psyker sit back with this unit)
    2 plasma guns, lascannon, camo cloaks and snare mines

veterans 150 x 2 = 300 (as above)

Fast Attack:
    Vendetta 130

Hellhound 130 x 2 = 260 (not a squadron)

Heavy Support:
    Leman Russ Battle Tank 205 x 2 = 410 (not a squadron)
    (as above

Demolisher 180
    lascannon
    Last edited by cypher371; February 23rd, 2012 at 00:55.
    Win Loss Ratios:
    GK: 2:1 Daemons: 5:2 SoB: 5:1 CSM: 1:1 IG: 5:2 BA: 3:1 Deathwing: 6:1 Ravenwing: 1:3 DA 3rd Company: 3:1 SM: 3:1 Necrons: 5:1

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

This list looks better. I would drop lascannon from the 2 standard russ and swap a hellhound for another meltavet in chimera. You may have enough points to get 3 meltas in each vet squad or add the 3rd plasma gun (or a GL) into the static vets. You could also swap the static vets for a cheap platoon with AC/GLs all round and rely on quantity rather than quality and cammo cloaks.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

already said can't do platoons, death korp models just cost too much but cheers will see what can be done, glad ti see it looks better
    Win Loss Ratios:

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

You're definitely on the right track. My last suggestion is to swap an LRBT for that Exterminator after all. If you can't bring a platoon to speedbump an aggressive enemy then the next best option is improving the list's anti-transport firepower.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok that's cool so three different LRs but it makes sense, what to do with the 20pts spare... aha heavy bolters on vendetta, and heavy stubber on exterminator or a third plasma gun in standy unit with 5pts to go somewhere else..but where?
    Last edited by cypher371; February 24th, 2012 at 19:34.
    Win Loss Ratios:

+ Reply to Thread