<1000 1000 point Crimson Fists - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 point Crimson Fists

Hi all. Im new to the forum (though Ive been hovering in the shadows reading past threads for a while) and thought Id finally give a space marine army a go. Ive little experience playing with or against SM so any comments on how best to field this army would be greatly appreciated. Ive tried to build a fluffy list, hence the large number of power fists, veterans and scouts.

Heres my 1000 point Crimson Fist attempt:

HQ:

Pedro Kantor - 175 Points

Elites:

Sternguard Squad 320 Points
    - Sergeant with Powerfist
    - 9 x Veterans with 2 x Combi-Meltas
    - Drop Pod

Ironclad Dreadnought 190 Points
    - Heavy Flamer replacing Stormbolter
    - 1 x HK Missile
    - Drop Pod

Troops:

Scout Squad 157 Points
    - Sergeant with Powerfist and camo cloak
    - 6 x Scouts with camo cloaks
    - 5 x Sniper Rifles
    - 1 x Missile Launcher

Scout Squad 157 Points
    - Sergeant with Powerfist and camo cloak
    - 5 x Sniper Rifles
    - 1 x Heavy Bolter

Total: 999 Points

Hints, tips, criticisms and comments all much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quite like this actually. I presume the scouts will infiltrate onto out of the way objectives, keeping the enemies' heads down from afar, while the drop pods will crash into a slightly more punchy one in the centre? I wonder whether Kantor and all those power fists are a bit too much for a 1000 point game, the points may be better spent putting a few more units on the board as a lot of fire is going to be aimed at that dread and stern guard squad. It's tidy and I'd like to see it fight though it won't be an easy one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the comment. I agree that the power fists might be a bit of a point sink but I felt that having models with giant crimson fists felt kinda right! I may be letting fluff get in the way of sense here as I'm sure a power weapon and melta grenade would do (arguably) a better job for cheaper. As for Kantor, I feel he justifies his points even here as he is such a force multiplier. I also agree that I'm lacking models at the sharp end, any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the problem with your list is the lack of reliable AT and the fact that if your Sternguard or Ironclad get wiped out due to some unlucky rolls, what have you got left to fight back with? the list is missing "Plan B".

"It is not the strongest species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. it is the species that is the most adaptable to change." Clarence Darrow

Against vehicles you are relying on:

2 one shot Melta weapons,
    4 S8 PF's which need to touch the vehicle to be effective, and are also unlikely to reach a well protected vehicle, in the case of the SG because they will be a priority target, and the Scouts aren't going to last long if they attempt a suicide charge.
    A one shot Krak missile.

Basically, if you face AV14 units, lose your Ironclad and get unlucky with the CM's, your men are going to have to hide and beg they don't get wiped out every time they caught in the open.

I would personally scrap the Ironclad- its not going to be much use. If you really want to use a Dread in a drop pod I would take a normal or Venerable Dread with Multi Melta.

Or, using the points you saved, get rid of one of the Scout Squads and put a 10 man Tactical Squad with Rhino in there. Looking at it now you could probably fit 2 if one foot slogged.
    Last edited by Sharpie; February 27th, 2012 at 01:45.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, some good points.

For AT, if I get rid of the frankly expensive Power fists it frees up enough points for an extra HK missile, an extra combi melta, and melta bombs and power weapons to all Sgts. Seeing as melta bombs and combi weapons cost the same, what would the best load out be? Would I be better off with 6 combi weapons and no melta bombs?

I feel quite protective over my dread as he's filling quite a few roles for me: AT with his missiles, melta gun and seismic hammer, anti horde with his heavy flamer, and objective holding (until my SG arrive) with his drop pod, extra armour and smoke. And he's a Dread!

Admittedly it does look like all my eggs are in one basket, so, if I were to drop him that would leave me 201 points to achieve the above. Suggestions please!

HQ:

Elites:

Sternguard Squad (x10.) – 320 Points
    - Sergeant with Power Weapon and Melta Bombs
    - 9 x Veterans with 3 x Combi-Meltas
    - Drop Pod

Ironclad Dreadnought – 200 Points
    - Heavy Flamer replacing Stormbolter
    - 2 x HK Missile
    - Drop Pod

Troops:

Scout Squad (x7) – 152 Points
    - Sergeant with Power Weapon, Melta Bombs, Sniper Rifle and camo cloak
    - 5 x Sniper Rifles
    - 1 x Missile Launcher

Scout Squad (x7) – 152 Points
    - Sergeant with Power Weapon, Melta Bombs, Sniper Rifle and camo cloak
    - 5 x Sniper Rifles
    - 1 x Heavy Bolter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200 points for anti tank, anti horde and objective holding, not asking for much are you? I'll admit, you've caught my interest.

How about this:
    2x landspeeders each with 2 multimeltas for tank hunting and generally causing a nuisance 160 pts
    Max out your stern guard combi weapons to the full 10 (they can be combi flamers if you're fighting a horde army) 35 pts
    Get rid of the melta bombs on your 3 sgts and use the remaining points to put a deathwind launcher in your drop pod to soften up any hordes before they overrun your objective and cut to pieces your very expensive SG unit!
    Looks fun though!

HQ:

Elites:

Sternguard Squad (x10.) – 370 Points
    - Sergeant with Power Weapon and Combi-melta/flamer
    - 9 x Veterans with 9 x Combi-melta/flamer
    - Drop Pod with Deathwind launcher

Troops:

Scout Squad (x7) – 147 Points
    - Sergeant with Power Weapon, Sniper Rifle and camo cloak
    - 5 x Sniper Rifles
    - 1 x Missile Launcher

Scout Squad (x7) – 147 Points
    - Sergeant with Power Weapon, Sniper Rifle and camo cloak
    - 5 x Sniper Rifles
    - 1 x Heavy Bolter

Fast Attack:

Land Speeder - 80
    -Multi-melta instead of Heavy Bolter
    -Multi-Melta

Land Speeder - 80
    -Multi-melta instead of Heavy Bolter
    -Multi-Melta

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I rather like the original list. Any opponent who fields a Land Raider in 1,000 points will have little else. Characters are typically too expensive for small lists but I can appreciate the interest in fluff, and in having a good foundation for larger lists.

Working with the original list, I would take out one of the Scout squads, replace one Scout squad with a small Sternguard in Pod and the Ironclad with an ordinary Dreadnought (no Pod) to hang back with the Scouts.

Alternatively, kit one Scout squad for close combat and use their infiltration to support the Pod assault.

The Ironclad's flamer isn't likely to do much. My experience with Drop tactics is that the enemy will be able to space his men out with little difficulty to negate a template strike. Avoid the Deathwind for similar reasons.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that the list is quite good, although t i think that the sternguard unit is a bit too expensive. You're putting 375 points into one unit( 2 if you include the drop pod but that itself costs 60 points! and is immobilized) and say you land it accidently too close to a assaulty unit like genestealers and you get quite unlucky to not be able wipe them all out, you are gonna to lose a lot of points.

The landspeeders are good although i think that your list is lacking in long range anti tank power. If your opponent has a leman russ or a fire prism, you'll find it hard to fight back as you'll get shot down quite easily

The scout squads are good but i suggest taking out the power weapons and taking something else, since they have camo cloaks and are going to be in cover, there not very likely to get assualted or to assualt an enemy unit. Same thing goes to the sternguard sergeant with a power weapon, using a power fist seems better as you dont get an extra attack for carrying a combi-weapon.

+ Reply to Thread