<2000 2000 pt All-Round Army for Casual Play - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

1 (x0)

2000 pt All-Round Army for Casual Play

I started this army a few years back when I bought a bunch of IG models off a friend to my Ultramarines Strike Force. Included were the two LRs, assorted infantry and HW teams, and a Kasrkn squad. After extensive remodeling, converting, and repainting, I added a command squad using the new GW kit, the two chimeras, a lot of HW teams, and the Basilisk from parts and kits I scraped together on eBay (My wife keeps me on a very limited budget). This Army is intended as well-rounded fighting force for casual play, the goal being to field an army that will perform well in most circumstances, on a limited budget. It is intended to be played using the “Victory Platoon”-“Sacrifice Platoon” strategy as described the Tactica Imperialis by Corey Somavia. As of yet, I have not had the opportunity to play with this army, so I can’t tell you if it works. As for myself I have very little experience as a 40k player, just a few casual games with SMs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks for looking!

Cadian 77th (1974pts)

Imperial Guard 5th Ed (2009) Roster (Standard)

HQ (155pts)

o Company Command Squad: 2x Laspistol & CCW, Regimental Standard, Vox Caster

§ Chimera: Heavy Flamer, Hull Heavy Flamer, Pintle Storm Bolter

§ Commander: Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon

Elites (190pts)

o Storm Trooper Squad: Flamer, Meltagun, 9x Storm Trooper

§ Storm Trooper Sergeant: Hotshot Laspistol, Power Weapon

Troops (1109pts)

· "Sacrifice" Platoon - Infantry Platoon

o Platoon Command Squad: 2x Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Vox Caster

§ Platoon Commander: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon

o Heavy Weapons Squad: 3x Heavy Bolter

o Infantry Squad: Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun, Vox Caster

§ Sergeant: Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol

o Infantry Squad: Missile Launcher Plasma Gun, Vox Caster

· "Victory" Platoon - Infantry Platoon
    o Platoon Command Squad: 3x Plasma Gun, Vox Caster
    § Chimera: Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser, Pintle Heavy Stubbier
    § Commissar : Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon
    § Platoon Commander : Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
    o Heavy Weapons Squad: 3x Lascannon
    o Heavy Weapons Squad: 3x Heavy Bolter
    o Heavy Weapons Squad: 3x Autocannon
    o Heavy Weapons Squad: 3x Autocannon
    o Heavy Weapons Squad: 3x Lascannon

Heavy Support (520pts)

o Leman Russ Squadron (380pts)

§ Leman Russ: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolters, Lascannon, Pintle Heavy Stubber

§ Leman Russ: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolters, Lascannon

o Ordnance Battery (140pts)

§ Basilisk: Extra Armor, Heavy Bolter

2. Remove Advertisements

Central California
    26 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

There's no need to list sergeants or mandatory wargear when providing a list. For example, the Stormtroopers could be simply "Stormtroopers x10, flamer, plasma gun, power sword". Much easier to read!

I'm not familiar with the Victory/Sacrifice Platoon idea. It's basically the hammer & anvil strategy, I assume? A static defense supporting a mobile offense? Solid approach.

You've assembled a good selection of units for infantry-heavy Guard! I see only two concerns with the list. First, it's slow. Guardsmen on foot won't go anywhere quickly and they'll be cut down like wheat if they're outside terrain. Second, the army's footprint is huge. Fitting all those infantry into a single deployment zone will pack them in tight, making them extremely vulnerable to blast templates and fast-moving assault troops.

The best thing to do, since you're on a budget, is simply to add one of our characters. They're strong buffs for infantry-heavy lists and easy to proxy. If you bring Creed then you'll gain additional, needed orders plus the improved command range to reach across your force. You even have a vox network for him! He can also outflank a combined infantry squad with attached Commissar to threaten the enemy's flank with his 'Tactical Genius' rule. Doing so also gives you breathing room in your deployment zone. (Tip: such an outflanking squad needs krak grenades.)

Al'Rahem would also be a good selection. He can REALLY threaten the enemy's flank, is actually decent (for IG) at close combat and will give you something fun to do in your movement phases. You'll lose a couple turns of shooting from his platoon's heavy weapons but that's a fair trade for safe travel across the board. Just add or proxy an Astropath advisor to bring him in quickly. (If you have the models then you can also change his HW squads to special weapon squads.)

Straken would be good, too, but your list would have to be overhauled for him. Pass on Chenkov.

The best way to free up points for the character is to reduce the Stormtrooper squad's size, remove the Russ' heavy bolter sponsons and/or drop a Heavy Bolter HW team. Like most Guardsmen, Stormtroopers don't survive in isolation. They gain no additional weapons or close combat potential from having additional bodies; indeed, their deepstrike ability is actually safer when they're small. Sponsons don't pay for themselves unless the Russ holds still. You have enough men that your Russes can afford to do so but I still recommend against sponsons. The way wound allocation works, you're better off causing 10 battle-cannon wounds than 10 battle-cannon wounds and one heavy bolter wound. Your opponent can put that one wound on his sergeant, letting him get by with an armor save when the entire squad would otherwise be vaporized. (Keep the hull lascannons, however; they combine well with the main gun.)

Heavy Bolter squads are fine, especially against Marines (they love their little Landspeeders), but they're the weak man out if you have to lose a squad.

You can do without the extra armor on the Basilisk and the pintle weapons. (Did you mean crew compartment instead of extra armor?) Pintles tend to become annoying little details that most players discontinue. On a similar note, don't mix weapon types where possible. Flamers, plasma guns and meltaguns prefer different targets and, Guard being Guard, you won't want to resolve your shooting one gun at a time.

There's really not much to do beyond adding a character and swapping some kit around. Go have fun!
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread