<2000 1850 Power Blobs w/ Yarrick and Al - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

1850 Power Blobs w/ Yarrick and Al

Dear forum,

I wanted to try out Commissar Yarrick for my Power Blobs, and this is what I came up with:

-CCS: 4 Melta
    -Yarrick

------------------------------------
    -Storm Troopers: 2 Plasma + Plasma Pistol
    -Storm Troopers: 2 Plasma + Plasma Pistol
    -7 Ogryn

-------------------------------------
    -PCS: 4 meltas
    -30 Infantry: 3x (Power Weapons, Meltas, meltabombs)

-PCS: Al'Raheem + 3 meltas + vox
    -20 Infantry: 2x (power weapons, meltas, vox) + Commissar w/power weapon
    -20 Infantry: 2x (power weapons, meltas, vox) + Commissar w/power weapon

---------------------------------------
    -10 Rough Riders
    -10 Rough Riders

=1850 total

Strategy:
    Commissar Yarrick goes with the Ogryn and they stay at home with the 30 man blob and the Company- and Platoon Command Squad, making a wall of meltas. Depending on the opponent's weaponry, either ogryn can provide the guardsmen with a T5 meatshield or the grunts can surround the big fellas. Yarrick keeps everyone stubborn and taking orders on LD10.

Rough Riders start in reserve and provide mobility once on the field (also fits the no vehicles/all power weapons fluff of my army).

Storm Troopers also provide much needed mobility and flexibility, deep-striking in where needed with 5 plasma shots per group.

Al'Raheem comes from the flank with his merry men to pinch the enemy between the two platoons.

Thoughts:
    I have been experimenting with blob guard for about 6-8 months now and it is the most fun way to play 40k, in my opinion.
    Ogryns have also surprised me with how effective they can be, especially since most opponents come running at IG as a default strategy. I have never ran with so many before, but since I am taking Yarrick (and because I could fit in some more) I though it would be best to take full advantage of his buffs and take a BIG unit of 7.
    Advisors are counterproductive in my opinion; the last thing I want is for my Rough Riders or Storm Troopers to arrive too early and most of the time the Master of the Fleet has just helped my opponent in getting all his reserves in at the same time for a huge alpha strike. This does mean that Al'Raheem sometimes shows up on the wrong flank, but that is where the Storm Troopers and Rough Riders have helped so much in delaying and weakening my opponent's strong flank while Al slogs his troops across the board. I've also tried the Master of Ordinance, but with my blobs covering up such a HUGE area of the battlefield the random scatters sometimes get real ugly.
    The meltabombs were just point fillers, but I'm not sure which is better: to have them at home against drop-podding dreds (the 11 meltas usually do finish the job though...) or on the flank to assault tanks.

What do you think about the list/strategy?

Last edited by lexingtond; March 2nd, 2012 at 15:03.

2. Likekilltacular99 liked this post.
  3. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

My own experience with power blobs is that you don't want them facing enemies at full strength. Your total lack of ranged firepower is going to hurt very badly, methinks.

Bring some Russes. Their heavy armor means you don't need a lot of vehicles to keep them alive. Alternatively, mechanize al'Rahem's platoon and use power blobs for home defense.

IG just can't win without big guns.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Thank you for your reply.

I have actually been playing with this list (minus Yarrick) for awhile now and I have been doing very well with it. So far, the only army that has put me to shame was a genestealer/lictor army that just tore through my blobs. It seems that no one has an answer to such a massive horde with so many power weapons that can also FRFSRF, melta spam and outflank 45 infantry models.

The storm troopers have done admirably in shouldering the responsibility of shooting things far away, but even if it doesn't seem like it at first glance, the most lethal part of my army tends to be all the meltas (followed by a crazy charge of course).

I used to run a gunline list (two medusas, two griffons, two hydras, two MoO, two devil dogs, multiple HWS, and other all out shooting) and I actually just lost alot of games. The "break and run-down" element of close combat is just so valuable that I find shooting has a hard time keeping up (unless you shoot, panic and follow units off the board leafblower style).

I have run with 3 russes and lots of infantry and that list worked out great. This one is so much more fun though! I just love posting on my local gaming clubs blog asking "Anyone up for a game against 1850 IG?" and then showing up with no tanks at all: "Surprise!"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Yeah, I like power blobs & Russes, too. So many players get locked into the 'mech' mindset that uncommon lists throw them off-balance.

I still have trouble believing that a no-vehicle, no-heavy weapon IG army can do well. Do you use HW squads instead of Yarrick & Ogryn in your standard list? Could you post a battle report or two and show me how it's done?
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

I was actually planning on doing some battle reports in the near future!
    I only get in 1-2 games a month though and I play both fantasy and 40k so don't reserve your weekend for it

Instead of yarrick and the big ogryn unit I have tried running a static "home blob" with plasma + lascannons + Commissar lord with Camo (but its just such a waste to have all this shooting and all these powerweapons in the same unit; no matter what, half of it gets wasted), foot slogging psychers, all the advisors, a ministorum priest for every blob, ratlings... I actually think I've never played with the same list since I started Blobing; its only been 6 games though...

The meta here is balanced Space Marines, so all of the opponent's anti-tank/powerfists get wasted, everything that comes rolling out of drop-pods gets melted away, and then the Emperor's finest get swarmed by angry, middle-class white men.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Some one stole my list!

Tar pit Guard vs GK 1750

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

For sure it was fun but i guess that luck was the biggest part of that match (well, this is a dice game so it is acceptable)
    I'd like to see if these results are consistent during time or this one was just their 15' of glory
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Not so impressive. The GK player had no Purifiers and the Dreadknight had no heavy incinerators. Either of those would have changed the game's outcome dramatically. Not to mention the player's obvious ignorance of upgraded storm bolters.

Yarrick & Ogryn is an impressive combination but, for their cost, it should be. If I spend 400 points on six models in an IG list, they better win me the game AND wash my car!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Yeah, I have tried 5 Ogryn in my list before but never Yarrick. First, I was just going to put him in a blob instead of a commissar+priest, but then I figured he could just as well be with the Ogryn as he keeps everything within 12" stubborn. If Yarrick doesn't deliver BIG TIME in his 2-3 trial games, then I am not going use him. One thing I have yet not tried is Creed, he costs much less and can give 4 units furious charge per turn so him + lord commissar might actually be a better combo. We shall see.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

...Creed, he costs much less and can give 4 units furious charge per turn so him + lord commissar might actually be a better combo.
    Watch out for the fearlessness he gives at the same time. It bypasses the Commissar's stubborn rule and can leave the squad decimated.

The cheapest thing to do for Ogryns might be to simply have a bare CCS with standard follow them around. Their leadership isn't so bad that way.

13. Likelexingtond liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread