<1000 600 point guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 600 point guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

600 point guard

Hi guize, I was wondering if there were any improvements that I could make to my guard army for the schools league.
    Please note that in a league army I can only have a Heavy Support or a Fast attack, but not both.
    Here's the list:

Primaris psyker
    Veteran squad, 2 meltas,
    Heavy Flamer, chimera 165
    Veteran squad, 3 meltas,
    lascannon team, chimera 175
    Leman Russ, Plasma cannons 190

Total 600

I would've taken a valkyrie, but sadly the rules wouldn't allow that. This army list is a change from my
    previous army, which had a command squad with a lascannon and camo, no heavy flamer in the squad,
    another melta in the squad, and multi melta sponsons on the russ. Also note that the chimeras have heavy flamers and multi meltas.

The general plan would be to keep the lascannon squad at the objective together with the russ and puss forward with the other squad, recieving fire support from the russ. I changed my list because it seemed to lack anti-horde capacity in my games, and also the lascannons seemed to either miss, or not penetrate anything that was av 11 or better.

I was thinking that a possible change would be to replace the plasma cannons on the leman russ with heavy bolters, and then give both chimeras hunter-killer missiles.

Do you guys think it was a good change to make, or that I should change my army in any other way?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Well for a school league, not bad. Primaris gives you a nice boat-load of S6 shots (he works well with Grenade Launcher vets, the the meltagunners are fine too). I wouldn't put sponsons (of any kind) on a regular russ at all. The only tank I'd want sponsons on is the Executioner. You do lose a chunk of fire-power while on the move so you're really paying double the points for on extra gun to shoot. Or you can stay stationary, but that's risky for tanks and doesn't allow you to provide close support (IE protect weak side armor on chimeras).

So here is what I'd change:

1) Ditch the Heavy Flamer, they are not worth it on infantry. You should have Multilaser/Heavy Flamer on the Chimeras anyway.
    2) Ditch the lascannon. Long-range heavy weapons and short-range assault weapons don't mix.
    3) Drop the Sponsons on the Russ (or pay the 40 points to upgrade to the executioner.....it's expensive, has a huge "shoot me" sign on it, but it is very deadly...much more so than any of the single-shot russes).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K, thanks for the suggestions, but for most of these things I have done them for a reason. Firstly, I took the heavy flamer because my army seemed to stuggle against hordes, despite both heavy flamer chimeras and the russ. Secondly I took the lascannon due to my lack of long ranged anti tank and the meltas in that squad are in case of any deep striking/fast vehicles. Finaly, I have already kinda glued on the sponsons and I don't have the cash right now, and I also dislike executioners for their price and the fact that 3 small blasts is only marginally more surface area than a large blast, and also the battlecannon will be able to instant death stuff.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

here's what i'd do:

drop the Hflamer from the squad. if you must, downgrade it to a normal flamer instead.
    remove the sponsons from leman russ. If you've glued them, you can simply tell your opponent that they are only for the looks of them. I guess that nobody will raise a fight over them.
    drop the lascannon from the veterans. they are in chimera so you'll move them more often than not hence your cannon can't fire. anyway your melta + movement will make short work of anything tough.

you'll save 80 pts (75 if you take the normal flamer) and you can spend them on an hydra flak tank which helps a lot with fast skimmers or light vehicles in general, allowing your veterans to close up av13+ and your leman russ to blast marines from range.
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly the school league rules allow only one heavy support or one fast attack.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

these rules are quite... sucky at best

anyway you might spend those 80 points for a foot veteran team with 2 flamers if you're scared of horde control. Put heavy flamers on your chimeras.
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had bad experiences with squads on foot, far too squishy in my opinion.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by dark1thought View Post
    Firstly, I took the heavy flamer because my army seemed to stuggle against hordes, despite both heavy flamer chimeras and the russ.
    At four times the price of a standard flamer when even 2 or 3 flamers does more damage than the single heavy, it's definitely not worth it. If you want flamers in infantry, that's fine....but never take the heavy, just not worth it.

Secondly I took the lascannon due to my lack of long ranged anti tank and the meltas in that squad are in case of any deep striking/fast vehicles.
    If forces your squad which should be fast and mobile to be stationary....not really a good thing. If you want objective campers with big guns, a platoon does it better. Besides, with two melta squads, the S6 spam from the primaris, and the Russ, you should have more than enough to deal with light, medium, and heavy vehicles at 600 points.

Finaly, I have already kinda glued on the sponsons and I don't have the cash right now
    I did that too originally and ended up breaking/hacking mine off and converting up some cover/armor plates if there was any damage. Actually looks better now, IMO.

and I also dislike executioners for their price and the fact that 3 small blasts is only marginally more surface area than a large blast, and also the battlecannon will be able to instant death stuff.
    It's not about surface area....surface area doesn't matter when you can't aim. I've played Russes for years......but I'm really disliking them now. Too expensive for a single shot that misses about 60% of the time (taking into account artillery dice and a 3" scatter after the BS subtraction). If you take a Russ only for the cannon....you're not using it effectively and it's not really worth it.

My thoughts on IG tanks really has change a lot over the years. Here's my personal stance so far.

Bad Tanks: Vanquisher/Punisher (just suck in general), Eradicator(not really needed, can't aim, overpriced), Leman Russ (can't aim and overpriced).

Decent tanks: Demolisher (mostly because of the S10 AP2 shot.....being able to instant-death T5 is nice. Also rear armor 11 and short range guns means it does well as a close-support tank for mechanized troops)

Good Tanks: Exterminator (blah, blah, blah, Hydras are better blah. Hydras are great, but serve a completely different purpose. The exterminator is best played as a close-support beast, my opinion of course, to protect the weak side armor of chimeras and doesn't suffer the reduction of firepower due to moving as Hydras do. Have enough shots with good chance to hit and more autocannon is never a bad thing).

Executioner (good awful expensive, but this thing goes blasts right for once. 3-5 chances at about a 35-40 percent chance to hit is much, much better than 1 chance at 40-45% chance to hit. Good mid/long range support vehicle that can mess up both infantry and light vehicles to an extent).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another 600 pt list to consider. Hopefully I have not missed any additional requirements and the list meets your needs.

CCS - 3 plasma, Chimera 150
    Meltavets, Chimera 155
    Grenade launcher vets, Chimera 155
    LRBT

Total 595 pts

The extra points could be used for krak grenades for the CCS.

Granted, this is only 25 bodies, but everything is in a transport, and you've got the tools to deal with most units.

Hope this helps.
    General Van Rensaler
    Commander of the Cadian 713th
    "The Sledgehammer of the Emperor"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Hi

Just a few comments – plus the usual disclaimer!

I don’t “do” ultra-competitive gaming – I tend much more towards the “fluff” end, which means I tend to like lots of bodies and lots of guns!

I like your idea of using a Primaris Psyker – I think they can make a nice HQ at this level – and they avoid the risk of creating a CCS that acts as points sink.

Hockeyman506 has a good point about the synergy between the Primaris shooting range and the special weapons with him – I tend to run him with people using either plasma or grenade launchers – and at these lower levels I prefer weapons that don’t barbecue my own men!

Again it’s a personal thing – but I am not sure about the Leman Russ – at 190 points you are effectively using 1/3 of your points on something that will only hit 50% of the time.

On the plus side it’s a fire magnet - protecting your troops

On the down side it’s a fire magnet - and they won’t miss for ever

(And then you’re down to just two squads).

Likewise that lone Lascannon – even with vets you are only getting a single shot that hits just 2/3 of the time.

Purely as an example here’s how I’d do a 600pt list with Mech rather than platoons which I get the impression is your preferred option?

HQ

Primaris Psyker
    70pts

Vet Squad with 3 x G/L and Autocannon
    Chimera with Multi-laser and Hull Heavy Bolter
    150pts

This is your command squad/objective camper/fire support base (hence the A/C – which is a steal at 10pts imho) and the Chimera has Hull H/B for additional reach.

1st Squad

Vet Squad with 3 x Melta
    Chimera with Multi-laser and Hull Heavy Flamer
    155pts

2nd Squad

Vet Squad with 3 x Melta
    Chimera with Multi-laser and Hull Heavy Flamer
    155pts

2 x Scout Sentinels with Multi-Laser
    70pts

600pts

It still has three AFV’s but now you have a good “anvil” with the PP and the A/C vets and two hammers in the melta squads (reliable anti-armour capability) plus a couple of Sentinels to flank or add their firepower for anti-horde work.

If you want to expand it to 750points – a common size.

Then add a Vanilla Russ with hull H/F or H/B

To make it up to a nice 1,000points

Add a second Vanilla Russ identical to the first to split the enemy fire, a third Multi-laser sentinel and finally Guardsman Marbo – who’s always a laugh at lower point levels I think.

Anyway just my musings – whatever you do have fun though!!
    Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast