<2000 1500 Vanilla Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cheetahfurry

Thread: 1500 Vanilla Marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Vanilla Marines

I would like to have some advice to improve my list
    Currently I'm fielding this list. I'm in doubt for the weapons of the vehicles, do not really know how to improve.

Librarian Null Zone/ Avenger– 100

Tactical Squad <10>
    - Melta
    - Lascannon
    - Rhino

Tactical Squad <10> - 195
    - Flamer
    - Missile Launcher
    - Sergeant w/ Power Fist

Scouts <5> - 100
    - 4 w/ Combat Blades
    - Sergeant w/ Power Fist

Assault Terminators <5> - 200
    - 5 w/ Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield

Sternguard Veteran Squad - 200
    - Sergeant w/Power Fist
    - Heavy Flamer
    - Razorback

Sternguard Veteran Squad
    - Sergeant w/Power Weapon&Combi-melta
    - 2 Veterans w/Combi-melta
    - 2 Veterans w/Combi-flamer

Land Speeder Storm - 60
    - Flamer

Land Raider Crusader - 260
    - Multi-melta

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scouts <5> - 100
    - 4 w/ Combat Blades
    - Sergeant w/ Power Fist

This is kinda a heavy point unit for what they are. I would drop the power fist, add sniper rifles, and the heavy bolter. That will save you 15 points and make a unit that can hold sit back in cover and snipe. If you can't find a place to use the 15 points you can get them camo cloaks.

Land Speeder Storm - 60
    - Flamer

I do not see a single speeder as worthwhile. The flamer means it needs to get close which is bad for an opened top armor 10. I would drop this all together.

- Flamer
    - Missile Launcher
    - Sergeant w/ Power Fist

Put this unit in a Rhino with the points you have saved from above. Make sure they can move to get to objectives.

- Multi-melta

Change this to a normal land raider for the laz. You are currently short on anti-tank

Sternguard Veteran Squad - 165
    - 2 Veterans w/Combi-melta
    - 2 Veterans w/Combi-flamer

you need some anti-tank. For the points I would take a bike squad (4 bikes, 2x melta, attack bike, multimelta) this will add some anti tank. You can also go 3x Multi Melta attack bikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the imputs but I fear I did.'t explained the tactic behind my choices
    I use the Land Speeder Storm as transport for the Scouts for outflanking vehicles and MC. The PF on the sergeant grants the strength I need to pierce through armor (plus it is a very quick unit)
    The Tac are divided in combat squads the two with the ML and LC stand behind shooting, the other halves wit PF melta and flamer in the rhino makin' damages.
    And the LR is chargin' with the TH/SS Termies, so I needed something that shoots while moving

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with that the problem is you are spending 160 points for a powerfist. For 185 points you can get just as much speed off a bike squad with 2 melta's and a multimelta which have a better chance to hit (Assuming their tanks move) and are tough (5T v 4) have a better armor save (3+ v 4+) and are more reliable. Thats just my opponion.

I also think a 2nd rhino for the other squad helps. Even if your going to break them up you can make it a razorback.
    seto215 likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seto215 View Post
    Thank you for the imputs but I fear I did.'t explained the tactic behind my choices
    I use the Land Speeder Storm as transport for the Scouts for outflanking vehicles and MC. The PF on the sergeant grants the strength I need to pierce through armor (plus it is a very quick unit)
    The Tac are divided in combat squads the two with the ML and LC stand behind shooting, the other halves wit PF melta and flamer in the rhino makin' damages.
    And the LR is chargin' with the TH/SS Termies, so I needed something that shoots while moving
    I think your missing a lot of firepower and i don't think you have enough assault units to make up for it.
    You definitely need a second rhino as this helps in quite a few ways such as protection and movement. You also need a second razorback for the sternguards as they have close range guns and they need to get the opponent in order to use them.
    You might want to suggest using units such as landspeeders with typhoon missiles or something along those lines as i think you'll struggle quite a lot with mechanized armies as you don't have a lot of anti tank or any wepons that deal damage much from afar and if you choose not to have long ranged weapons, you need to have all of your units at least in transports to get them quick enough to the enemy to wipe out their long ranged firepower or you'll find it very hard to stay alive

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

The Scouts & LSS are okay with me. It's a decent outflanking unit--a little points-heavy, true, but fun to play and a reasonable cleanup unit.

How do you field that second Sternguard squad? Not walking, I hope? One thing you could do is put all 10 Sternguard in a Drop Pod, dropping the Razorback in the process. The plan is for them to hit on Turn 1; then, the Land Raider hits on Turn 2; and then, the Tactical squads and Scouts arrive to finish.

Another good idea is adding some ranged support. Remove that second Sternguard squad and change the Razorback to a third Rhino. (Sternguard can do a lot with two fire points.) Use the saved points to field a Devastator squad. This works very well because the Devs can also protect combat squads from deepstrikers. Not scoring means they're expendable.

Alternatively, bring a Dreadnought or two for ranged support. They provide more targets for enemy antitank weapons, can walk alongside your Rhinos as bodyguards and provide a new unit type for you to play with.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you to all of you!
    I adjusted a bit the list and in the end I came out with 3!
    In the first I mantained the scouts, added the drop pod for the 2 stern and added a little bit more of firepower

Tactical Squad <10> - 235
    - Melta-gun
    - Lascannon
    - Rhino

- Flamer
    - Missile Launcher
    - Sergeant w/ Power Fist

Scouts <5> - 100
    - 4 w/ Combat Blades
    - Sergeant w/ Power Fist

Assault Terminators <5> - 200

Sternguard Veteran Squad - 160
    - Sergeant w/Power Fist
    - Heavy Flamer

Sternguard Veteran Squad - 190
    - Sergeant
    - 2 Vets w/Combi-melta
    - 2 Vets w/Combi-flamer
    - Drop-pod

Land Speeder Storm - 60
    - Flamer

- Multi-melta

Predator Tank- 60

In the second (thanks to a very good player) I changed a little bit the weapons and came up with this (I gained a Lascannon)

Libby w/ Null Zone and Avenger = 100pts
    5x Sternguard w/ power fist, heavy flamer, 3x combi-meltas, Razorback = 215pts
    5x Assault Terminators w/ TH/SS, LRC w/ multi-melta, extra armour = 475pts
    10x Tactical Marines w/ meltagun, missile launcher, Rhino = 210pts
    5x Scouts w/ power fist, combi-flamer, CCWs = 110pts
    Land Speeder Storm w/ heavy flamer = 60pts
    Pred w/ autocannon, lascannon sponsons = 120pts
    Total = 1500pts

In the third I took out the scouts and LSS =( and added a Devastator and a Pred

Tactical Squad <10>
    - Melta-gun
    - Lascannon
    - Sergeant w/ Power Weapon
    - Rhino

Tactical Squad <10>
    - Flamer
    - Missile Launcher
    - Sergeant w/ Power Fist
    - Rhino

Assault Terminators <5>

Sternguard Veteran Squad - 160
    - Sergeant w/Power Fist
    - Heavy Flamer

Sternguard Veteran Squad - 210
    - 2 Vets w/Combi-melta
    - 2 Vets w/Combi-flamer
    - Drop-pod

Devastator Squad
    - 2 Lascannons
    - 2 Plasma cannons

Predator - 120
    - Lascannon sponson

- Multi-melta

Suggestions?

Last edited by seto215; March 23rd, 2012 at 12:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the following just my opinion and I in no way say I know more then others that have spoken here.

With space marine armies if they have feet, they need boxes... space marines love metal boxes.
    I am not keen on sternguard squads, I would replace the 160 pt squad with a squad of bikes with meltaguns and an attack bike with multi melta, give the sergeant a power fist and you have a great tank hunter unit that moves fast.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by donbat143 View Post
    the following just my opinion and I in no way say I know more then others that have spoken here.

With space marine armies if they have feet, they need boxes... space marines love metal boxes.
    I am not keen on sternguard squads, I would replace the 160 pt squad with a squad of bikes with meltaguns and an attack bike with multi melta, give the sergeant a power fist and you have a great tank hunter unit that moves fast.
    I agree, i kind of emphasized this point but it got kind of ignored or you didn't read it. If you want the sternguards doing something, give them a razorback! They need some means of getting into the action or at least on the frontline giving fire support, that way you'll use their bolters most effectively instead of foot slogging it across the battlefield.
    However, im not very keen on the bike squad, why? Because he has enough anti tank in my opinion to get the job done so why does he need a speedy suicide tank hunting unit? True that he needs fast attack but a sternguard squad is much more versatile and could probably do more damge if used properly.

Third list in my opinion is the best, the scouts and landspeeder don't really give tpo much apart from a objective contester that could easily be blown out of the sky and get assaulted.
    Drop pods can't carry two different units apart from a independent character and his unit but a dedicated transport can only the unit that it was bought for so no, you do need separate units for the sternguard squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chen, no, I didn't ignored your suggestions (point- and effective-wise the bikes are 100 times better than the LSS with scouts) , but I have an avversion against bikes that I cannot explain =P I think is personal preferences (or I simply don't like the models)
    In the end I will use two armies, one with the scouts and one with a Devastator squad (I think the second will be the most used)
    <First>
    Libby w/ Null Zone and Avenger = 100pts
    5x Sternguard w/ power fist, heavy flamer, 3x combi-meltas, Razorback = 215pts
    5x Assault Terminators w/ TH/SS, LRC w/ multi-melta, extra armour = 475pts
    5x Scouts w/ power fist, combi-flamer, CCWs = 110pts
    Land Speeder Storm w/ heavy flamer = 60pts
    Pred w/ autocannon, lascannon sponsons = 120pts
    Total = 1500pts

<Second>
    -Librarian Null Zone/ Avenger– 100

Tactical Squad <10> - 220
    - Melta-gun
    - Missile Launcher