<2000 1750 All Comers, Competitve? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750 All Comers, Competitve?

HQ
    CCS w/ 4 Meltaguns 90
    -Chimera 55

Troops
    10 Veterans w/ 3 Meltaguns 100
    -Chimera 55
    10 Veterans w/ 3 Meltaguns 100
    -Chimera 55
    Platoon:
    PCS w/ 4 Flamers 50
    -Chimera 55
    Infantry Squad w/ Grenade Launcher 105
    Infantry Squad w/ Grenade Launcher 105
    Heavy Weapons Squad (Lascannons) 105
    Heavy Weapons Squad (Lascannons) 105

Fast Attack
    Vendetta 130
    Vendetta 130

Heavy Support
    Leman Russ Battle Tank w/ Plasma Cannon Sponsons 190
    Leman Russ Battle Tank w/ Plasma Cannon Sponsons 190
    Leman Russ Executioner w/ Plasma Cannon Sponsons 230

Total: 1750 Points.

I am not really into IG so I would really appreciate your advice, as I'm working on Imperial Guard lists two days now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

It's a very good start. The only major change I would make is to revise the platoon into a static, Commissar-led combined squad of 30 men. This will give you a more reliable firebase than HW squads. If you run the LRBTs as a squadron of two then they can sit in the middle of that squad and shoot away in relative safety. (To free some points, the LRBTs don't gain much from having sponsons. You can also remove the PCS Chimera and either put the squad in a Vendetta, or give it grenade launchers and let it walk.)

I would put lascannons on the LRBTs before fielding a HW lascannon squad.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

Yeah as intrepid said this is a nice start

I'd drop the two lascannon HWT, the PCS chimera and all the sponsons to get the following:
    3x Infantry squads with 3 Autocannons and a commissar (you can consider an upgrade to missile launchers)
    3x lascannons for each tank
    1x Stormtroopers with 2x meltaguns and one meltabomb

also i'd strip off the grenade launchers from the footsloggers and take 2 flamers instead.

you'll end with 3x AV14 and 5 AV12(mostly) vehicles and a very solid, multi-layered gunline (with bubblewrap capability if needed).
    You can fiddle with the commissar's placement, put it with the 20 foots for an above-average tarpit (consider scratching 30pts for 3x power weaps in this case)
    Last edited by Frost89; March 28th, 2012 at 21:11.
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see your points about Lascannon Heavy Weapon squads and 30-man+Commissar blobs. Actually, I had the same thoughts before posting the list.
    However, it seems to me that plasma cannon sponsons, although a bit expensive, are solid upgrades and fit well to an all-comers list like this. They boost my anti-infantry firepower a lot (especially against MEQ, TEQ, Grey Knights etc.) and help with my anti-MC or anti-light-transport firepower. I mean, a single S8 AP3 Large Blast seems awesome at paper (wow I just need to wound on 2+ and almost everyone is dead), but when it's time to play, cover saves, correct deployment and scatter dices will result in reducing the
    damage output to 3-4 dead models per round of shooting. 2 Plasma Cannons should kill at least 2-3 extra models per round, which makes a total of 7 dead models on average by each LRBT - not so bad, don't you think? Last but not least, if a LR suffers a Weapon Destroyed result, without the sponsons, it will be near to useless, since a BS3 Lascannon won't do much.

Right or wrong?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

a single Large Blast seems awesome at paper, but when it's time to play, cover saves, correct deployment and scatter dices will result in reducing the damage output
    Fair arguments, and it's not a bad idea to think of it as 'battle cannon plus one plasma cannon". One issue, however, is true LOS. If the LRBT is hiding behind an infantry squad, as it generally will be, then the battle cannon's elevation lets it shoot over the infantry without granting a cover save. Sponsons, however, are too low; the enemy will have a cover save from the PCs much more often than the BCs. This is one reason I typically recommend using LRBTs in squadrons of two as a way to get those extra wounds.

Another issue is that lascannon HW squads are tempting targets. High threat profiles and low leadership values is a tough combination. You can get around this with a CCS and regimental standard but your list is geared in a different direction.

Do keep the plasma cannons on the LRD. That's a much more aggressive tank, having the rear AV to go without those protective speedbumps. Remember also that our advice is based on what works for most players, most of the time. If sponsoned Russes appeal to you then go ahead...it'll be a strong performer and you've clearly thought the matter through.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    Fair arguments, and it's not a bad idea to think of it as 'battle cannon plus one plasma cannon". One issue, however, is true LOS. If the LRBT is hiding behind an infantry squad, as it generally will be, then the battle cannon's elevation lets it shoot over the infantry without granting a cover save. Sponsons, however, are too low; the enemy will have a cover save from the PCs much more often than the BCs. This is one reason I typically recommend using LRBTs in squadrons of two as a way to get those extra wounds.
    Actually it's "a battle cannon plus 2 plasma cannons" lol
    I hadn't thought of the cover save/sponson thing, thanks a lot. However, in most of my games almost everyone has a cover save (even 5+ from a Venomthrope when terrain isn't handy), so it doesn't make a real difference if it comes from my units or sample area terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    Another issue is that lascannon HW squads are tempting targets. High threat profiles and low leadership values is a tough combination. You can get around this with a CCS and regimental standard but your list is geared in a different direction.
    Agreed. I'll probably throw the Lascannon HW squads, a Meltagun from the CCS and the GLs from the Infantry Squads and instead take a 2 Autocannon HW squads and a 3rd Infantry Squad with a Comissar.

+ Reply to Thread