<1000 Beginner army build: 1000 pts. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner army build: 1000 pts.

Hi, im a rookie 40 K gamer who is in dire need of feedback to this army build. Hope to get a lot of feedback and help from all you experienced people out there.

HQ
    Company Command Squad 50 pts.
    Commander
    4 vets

Troops:
    Veteran Squad 200 pts.
    8 vets, 3 plasma guns, 1 veteran weapon team w. lascannon
    Chimera w. multilaser, heavy bolter, heavy stubber

Veteran Squad 200 pts.
    8 vets, 3 plasma guns, 1 veteran weapon team w. lascannon

Veteran Squad 145 pts.
    10 vets, 3 flamers
    Chimera with 2 x heavy flamer

Heavy support 410 pts.
    2 x Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Lascannon, plasma cannon sponsons

All in all the army has a lot of firepower but i consider stripping the tanks from its plasma cannons sponsons and finding the extra points so i could put in another chimera for the CCS or perhaps takeing out the lascannons in the Russ as well and find further 20 pts. for a Valkyrie. How compedative would you rate this army from 1(bad) to 10(awsome)?

Last edited by Schredni; April 17th, 2012 at 04:34.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im sort of an IG rook but this seems decent enough

some changes

drop the plas spons and perhaps the lascannons, you can keep the las in you want but at these low points id use the points for either more tanks, men or other upgrades

your vets shouldnt have flamers i reckon, drop these and take melta, this seems to be a popular tactic for most mech IG armies

also for the other vets, drop the lascannon, you'll be doing a lot of moving so drop these

drop the heavy stubbers off the chimeras, again you'll be doing a lot of moving and can only fire a set amount of weapons so save the points and buy a chimera for the CCS with the other points made from other cuts

give your CCS either plas or meltas as this seems appropiate for the mech based army

overall, i think it would do okay in a comp, thinking a 6-8, determines who you verse, against SP and other elite armies i think you'd do well but against horde armies, maybe not as well

thinking perhaps drop a chimera and a vet squad and take a standard Infantry Platoon, plain PCS with 2/3 IS combined (or not) with heavy bolters or autocannons
    (about 210 points for the PCS, 3 IS w/3 autocannons or heavy bolters, another 35 for a commissar which i recommend)

with this you have an objective sitting unit with lots of guns, the PCS issues orders to the squads, first rank fire, to thin out horde units

just an idea, hope it helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 0rkynid View Post
    im sort of an IG rook but this seems decent enough

some changes

drop the plas spons and perhaps the lascannons, you can keep the las in you want but at these low points id use the points for either more tanks, men or other upgrades

your vets shouldnt have flamers i reckon, drop these and take melta, this seems to be a popular tactic for most mech IG armies

also for the other vets, drop the lascannon, you'll be doing a lot of moving so drop these

drop the heavy stubbers off the chimeras, again you'll be doing a lot of moving and can only fire a set amount of weapons so save the points and buy a chimera for the CCS with the other points made from other cuts

give your CCS either plas or meltas as this seems appropiate for the mech based army

overall, i think it would do okay in a comp, thinking a 6-8, determines who you verse, against SP and other elite armies i think you'd do well but against horde armies, maybe not as well

thinking perhaps drop a chimera and a vet squad and take a standard Infantry Platoon, plain PCS with 2/3 IS combined (or not) with heavy bolters or autocannons
    (about 210 points for the PCS, 3 IS w/3 autocannons or heavy bolters, another 35 for a commissar which i recommend)

with this you have an objective sitting unit with lots of guns, the PCS issues orders to the squads, first rank fire, to thin out horde units

just an idea, hope it helps
    The whole idea with the heavy stubber is that due to its low strength it counts as a deffensive weapon and therefore i can shoot while moveing. I dont think i will go the infantry platoon way. I like the vet. idea very much. I am however strongly considering to stripping the Russ tanks for its plasma and lascannons. Im still a little undecided what to do with the points, your suggestion with the chimera is more or less the same as i have thought of.
    And thank you very much for your help!
    I hope to hear from more of you out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry my bad, thought the stubber was a S5 gun not S4, derp

and those were just some ideas, to look at your options

i strongly recommend the russ strip down of the spons, maybe the las if you need points. you can keep them if you want but then your tank will have to sit still (might not be a 100% correct, i dont have my codex with, seems it was stolen by some grots)

you might have to drop the PC and LC to buy the chimera and the meltas (if you want them) or drop a vet squad and keep the upgrades on the tanks (i dont recommend strongly for that course of action though)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Troops: the lascannon make them static so I would just go for 3 plasmas in chimera (stubber optional). Rather than taking flamer vets better to put HF on the 3 chimeras and take 3 meltas in the third unit.

Heavy: Abandon the hull lascannon definately. I kind of like plasma sponsons on standard russ to act as static fire support. Another favourite is a demolisher with hull lascannon and no sponsons.

HQ: This should free up enough points for a CCS chimera and a few special weapons for them.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

i'd keep the hull lascannon which blends nicely with the plasma sponsons ap2. I'd look somewhere else first to grab points.
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay i have had a look at what people have written in here so far and have made two options. Of theese two options which would you choose and is it good enough? How would you rank it in strength from 1 (puny) to 10 (awsome)?

OPTION 1:
    HQ
    Company Command Squad 160 pts.
    Commander
    4 vets, 3 plasma guns

Troops:
    Veteran Squad 180 pts.
    10 vets, 3 plasma guns

Veteran Squad 180 pts.
    10 vets, 3 plasma guns

Veteran Squad 145 pts.
    10 vets, 3 flamers
    Chimera with 2 x heavy flamer

Heavy support 330 pts.
    Lascannon

OPTION 2:
    HQ
    Company Command Squad 160 pts.
    Commander
    4 vets, 3 plasma guns

Troops:
    Veteran Squad 180 pts.
    10 vets, 3 plasma guns

Veteran Squad 180 pts.
    10 vets, 3 plasma guns

Veteran Squad 180 pts.
    10 vets, 3 plasma guns

Heavy support 300 pts.
    Last edited by Schredni; April 22nd, 2012 at 17:14.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

A russ tank is not that great at antitank. The 50% chance of a lascannon hit and the S8 main gun are ok but not that great and they are your only way of hurting AV14.

I would take 1 or 2 squads as melta guns and put heavy flamers on their chimeras. This could free up enough points to upgrade the russ to demolishers and they are a lot better against tanks and termies.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

you do need at least 3 twin linked Lascannons able to fire all game long to hurt somewhat-reliably a LandRaider or other av14 targets.
    Vendettas aren't an option because they'll fall like flies.

a 30 men infantry blob with lascannon might complement your list nicely for only a 240 points
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread