<1000 1500 point semi-competitive noob list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 point semi-competitive noob list

Hey, I never really played guard since 3rd edition (and even then I didn't play much, mostly just liked the model tanks) but now that I can afford some more models and have the latest rulebook, I've decided to get an IG list together. There are a lot of Space Marines at my location (go figure), so I'll probably be modeling and painting them as traitor guard. So, I'd really like to keep the Primaris Psyker in there.

HQ: Total 285 (including chimera)
    1 Command squad with Commander with powerfist, Astropath, Officer of the Fleet, vox caster vet, 3 Vets with meltaguns, Chimera (hull flamer and multilaser)
    1 Primaris Psyker

Elites: Total 105
    1 squad of 5 stormtroopers with 2 meltaguns

Troops: Total 375 (including transport)
    1 Platoon command squad with 2 meltaguns and vox caster
    2 Infantry squads, each with meltagun and vox caster
    1 Veteran squad with voxcaster, meltagun x 3, Chimera (hull flamer and multilaser), grenadier doctrine

Heavy support: 735 points total
    1 tank squadron with Leman Russ Battletank (lascannon) and Leman Russ Battletank (heavy plasma sponsons and extra armor)
    1 tank squadron with Leman Russ Exterminator (heavy bolter sponsons, extra armor)
    1 tank squadron with Leman Russ Demolisher (extra armor)
    ------------------------

So, as you can see, it's a big bunch of tanks (over 50% of the points is tanks) and not much else. There are also tons of meltaguns due to the profusion of heavy-armored lists in a tourney environment. In a really casual gaming environment, I might feel guilty for the "cheese" of running an army with so much armor, but since most of the local players seem to run cheesy Space Marine armies in METAL BAWKSES (especially at tournaments) I won't feel too bad.

Tactics-wise, I expect the four Russ variants will do most of the heavy lifting, with the footslogging infantry using the tanks as cover while they advance and guarding their rear. The stormtroopers are there to deep-strike next to an enemy artillery vehicle or tank and meltagun it. In the unlikely event they survive the next turn, they'll start shooting at heavy infantry. The Primaris Psyker will be deployed with the veteran squad, so that when their Chimera gets blown up (and it probably will), he can deploy nightshroud and shield the vets from shooting while they go tank-hunting. Between 4+ armor saves and the Psyker's mojo, the vets should be quite hard to bring down.

Despite the meltas in his squad, my Company Commander will probably stay back from the frontline and give orders. I think I have a pretty good mix of anti-tank and anti-infantry capability. Infantry blobs (tyranids, orks, kroot, etc) will die en-masse to the Exterminator and battle cannons. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is assault-happy mechanized space marines like Blood Angels, and Necrons with monolith. But then again, with twelve meltaguns, a lascannon, two battlecannons and a demolisher cannon, I shouldn't have too much trouble killing Land Raiders, and EVERYBODY has a hard time with monoliths.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Ditch the PF and astropath (you only have one unit in reserve and no outflankers so he isn't worth it). Vox can probably go too and if you intend to stay back then GLs or plasmas are better. Psyker is ok but I would think about more troops first such as a HWS to hold a home objective from cover and lend firesupport at the same time or another meltavet squad in chimera.

Elites: Fine

Troops: Love the vets but with all the point savings mentioned dropping grenadier too might get you another squad. Platoon should take AC+GL in each squad as footslogging meltas are poor. Use these squads for objective sitting from cover. PCS can be fun with 4 flamers and a chimera or just take AC/GL and sit tight.

Heavy: Move the hull lascannon from russ to demolisher as the main gun of the demolisher is also AP2 and better against tanks. Like the plasma sponson russ for static fire support. Exterminator is ok but I would look at punnisher. Drop extra armour from all tanks.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

4. Thanksdark7element thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice, Madcat. I've taken it (and some other advice I got from Command Center, where I first posted the list) into account. The only thing I disregarded was swapping the hull lascannon from the Russ to the Demolisher. The tanks are already built and, though adding or removing sponsons is doable (and already factored in; I built plasma sponsons on my Demolisher for some reason), I'd rather not break the tanks apart.

HQ:
    Company command squad w/Officer of the fleet, 3 plasma guns, Chimera with extra armor and hull flamer
    Primaris Psyker

Elites:
    5 Stormtroopers w/2 meltaguns

Troops:
    Platoon command with autocannon
    3 infantry squads, each with grenade launcher and autocannon
    Heavy weapons team w/3 lascannons
    Special weapons team w/3 plasma guns
    Vet squad w/3 meltaguns in Chimera with extra armor and hull flamer

Fast Attack:
    Armored sentinel with plasma cannon

Heavy Support:
    (sq. 1)Leman Russ Demolisher with extra armor and dozer blade
    (sq. 1)Leman Russ Battletank with Lascannon
    (sq. 2)Leman Russ Battletank with Plasma sponsons
    (sq. 3)Leman Russ Exterminator with heavy bolter sponsons

One reason I'm reluctant to make a second infantry platoon (and added a marine-killing plaz sentinel instead) is because fluff-wise this is supposed to represent an aggressive armored column, with infantry who ride to the battlefield on top of the tanks Soviet-style. I'll have a bit more anti-infantry with this list, though.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I'm worried about the list's lack of endurance. There's never going to be a game where the enemy tries to outshoot four Russes and an IG gunline so you can expect the bum's rush every game...even from slow armies. If you trade the SWS for a PCS Chimera then you'll have enough for a mechanized offense. (It's fluffy for the officer to have his own ride, right?) The only decent alternative, avoiding major changes, is replacing the meltavet squad with two Penal Legions for outflanking.

Since you intend this as a casual list, what do you think about dropping the platoon and fielding multiple, dismounted Veterans? It'll play about the same but give more of that "elite, aggressive" feeling you're looking for. Forward Sentries sounds like what you want but may be too expensive for a 1500 list.

If nothing else, get Chenkov into the list somehow. His stubborn bubble will help your infantry hold the line. And he's Russian!

with the footslogging infantry using the tanks as cover while they advance
    The rules don't support this tactic. Our Russes have massive armor but die instantly when charged and their cannons can't be used at point-blank ranges. Putting them out in front guarantees your big guns will be your first casualties. I play a Russ-heavy list and have learned this the hard way. Chimeras and Hellhounds are better choices for frontline duty. Hounds can shoot at high speed, protecting them from CC, and Chimeras can either be considered disposable firebreaks and/or used for tank shocks. (A good way to line up targets for that plasma Sentinel, if you don't mind some friendly fire.)

So, maybe Chenkov with four infantry squads, with two HWS the CCS can babysit with a standard? If points get short then you can take out an LRBT. You don't quite have enough bodies in the list to protect a squadron. Kit the infantry squads with plasma guns if you intend to move them frequently but not always. Add a HW or pw as you like.

The Primaris Psyker... can deploy nightshroud and shield the vets
    Nightshroud is pretty much worthless. It'll succeed only one time in six, more or less. Not to worry! His shooting power is excellent. I like to run him with a PCS or SWS carrying grenade launchers. It's a great, mobile source of medium-range firepower. If you follow my Chenkov advice then he can also be used to counter-charge. He gets a lot of attacks and it's quite possible his force weapon will get lucky.

I'll probably be modeling and painting them as traitor guard
    Off-topic, but the rumors I hear say the Chaos Legions Codex is being released this summer. I don't know what they'll play like--I doubt they'll have options for Russes--but FYI.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread