<2000 1750 All comers (king of the hill tournament) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

1750 All comers (king of the hill tournament)

Related Thread http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-question.html

Ok so a I have been invited to participate in a 1750 point "King of the Hill" style series of battles where the winner can not change his list from game to game, so his opponents know what he has. So if you want to last more then 1 round at the top you need an all comers list. I am next on the block as a challenger so I am trying to develop my list. Here is what I currently have in mind.

HQ:
    Vulkan
    Librarian (Null Zone & Gate)

Troops:
    10x Tac Marines w/Melta, Missile Launcher, Combi-Melta, Power Fist, Drop Pod -245
    5x Scouts w/BP&CCW, Combi-Melta, Power Fist -110

Elite:
    Ironclad Dread w/Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Drop Pod -180
    7x TH/SS Assault Terminators w/Land Raider Crusader w/Multi-Melta -540

Fast Attack:
    Land Speeder w/Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer -70
    Land Speeder Storm w/Multi-Melta -65

Now I know I am light on troops, but if I play it right the Tac Marines will come in later in the game and the Scouts are normally ignored as there are much bigger threats out there. The current King of the Hill is playing GK, I will post his list as soon as I have it.

Edit: Thinking of dropping the Libby, cutting the combi-Melta on the Tac Squad, and changing the Power Fist to a power weapon on the Tac Squad. This would give me 120 so that I can throw in a Auto/Las Pred. I am not sure that the Libby is worth just being a Psychic Hood and the long range that the Pred can provide can be huge.

Last edited by Col. Dracus; May 1st, 2012 at 23:15.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

You should do okay against GK. I know from my Blood Angels that they have real trouble against high-armor Dreadnoughts. Your Landspeeders will probably go down early but you can use this to keep your Land Raider alive. A well-timed tank shock by an LRC can easily deny an objective when your enemy doesn't have meltaguns.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

I posted the GK list in the thread linked in the first post.

Alternate list

HQ:
    Vulkan

Troops:
    10x Tac Marines w/Melta, Missile Launcher, Power Weapon, Drop Pod -225

Elite:

Fast Attack:

Heavy Support:
    Predator w/Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons -120
    Last edited by Col. Dracus; May 2nd, 2012 at 18:12.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

I say take list one with a few alterations:

*Drop the melta/combi-melta/power fist from the tac squad, and add a plasma gun
    *Add a HK missile to each of the Ironclads (to help take out the dreads upon arrival)

And thats about it. After looking at your list and his, I think you have a really good chance to at the very least secure a draw. Now never underestimate what the Paladins can do, if they remain as a unit of 10, do not assualt them unless you have no other choice, as I said in your other thread, if they are getting too close go for the tank shock as a 1/6 chance of making them run is a hell of alot better than a 0/6 chance of beating them in combat. If he runs them as 2-5man units then your termies will have an easier job of it, however I would still hold back and pick my fights very cautiously (watch for corteaz' sanctuary and the grenades on the Techy, psykotrokes can really ruin your day).

Also I think the key to your winning/drawing is keeping the Storm w/scouts inside alive, keep these guys out of sight unless your dreads/speeders fail their job, you will need these guys to capture/contest late game. Commit both MM/HF speeders to taking out a razor per turn, if they are positioned close together make sure you position so that if you bust the first you can have a shot at the other. *Fingers Crossed* if you take the HK missile on the ironclads you can manage to break his dreads when yours arrive, I would be trying to get 2 HKs on each if I could find the points.

And finally your idea to keep the Librarian inside the LR is sound considering draigo's abilitys, however DO NOT underestimate psycannons to punch holes in it, so you either want to keep your distance and/or in cover, or be moving straight in for the assualt, again the key to you winning this is smart use of your vehicles and ability to out maneuver your opponent, good luck!!!

-Poke-

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Thanks again DeathPoke. I think I will cut the Combi-melta and change the Power Fist to a power Weapon in order to give the Ironclads 1 HKM each. I will keep the Melta as it may come in handy for later games and benefits from Vulkan. I like the idea of tank shocking the Paladins even if I only have a 1/12 shot at making them run. Hopefully if he is in range to try an shoot the Land Raider with the Psycannons that means that I will be locking him in combat in order to prevent any further psycannon shooting. I believe his only psycannons are in his pally squad, but he does have the Meltas in the AW squads that I will have to try and knock out turn 1.
    Last edited by Col. Dracus; May 3rd, 2012 at 19:31.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x3)

this should be interesting. Not sure about the scouts, I always preferred sniper scouts myself, and camping on an objective. But with vulcan the Land Speeder Storm with Multi-melta certainly seems more viable. If you are looking to cut a powerfist maybe cut it from the scouts instead of the tac squad?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

I get a lot more use out of the Fist in the scout squad then I do in the Tac Squad. One of the things that makes those Scouts a little scary is that they can get a turn 1 assault pretty much every game. Now if I get to go first that Power Fist is auto hitting vehicles!

Here is how the current list is looking.

HQ:
    Vulkan
    Librarian (Null Zone & Gate)

Troops:
    10x Tac Marines w/Melta, Missile Launcher, Power Weapon, Drop Pod -225

Elite:
    Ironclad Dread w/Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, HKM, Drop Pod -190
    Ironclad Dread w/Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, HKM, Drop Pod -190

Fast Attack:
    Last edited by Col. Dracus; May 7th, 2012 at 23:27.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x2)

Just a quick note, it may even be worth while (if you get first turn, and if he deploys in a way that this is possible) to focus your two dreads on taking out a single one of his, and get the scouts after the other, even if the scouts dont take it out, they should be locked in combat for a turn or two to stop it shooting.

-Poke-

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Dracus View Post
    I get a lot more use out of the Fist in the scout squad then I do in the Tac Squad. One of the things that makes those Scouts a little scary is that they can get a turn 1 assault pretty much every game. Now if I get to go first that Power Fist is auto hitting vehicles!
    But with so few troops do you really want to risk one of your few scoring units to suicide vehicles? That's why I like snipers so they can keep a distance. Although against this GK player scouts equipped for assault may be a great counter to his henchmen.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Guthbrand View Post
    But with so few troops do you really want to risk one of your few scoring units to suicide vehicles? That's why I like snipers so they can keep a distance. Although against this GK player scouts equipped for assault may be a great counter to his henchmen.
    It does make it so they are almost guaranteed to die, but they do contribute more to the overall battle point for point. But that is not always the best option.

I had a practice game last night. I tried to make it as hard for me as possible so I let my training partner set up the terrain, choose sides and go first. We ended up with Annihilation/Spearhead. The game ended after turn 7 with a 6-6 tie. The last couple turns he was moving away from the majority of my force with only his Deathstar unit left, he was targeting Drop Pods to get the kill points. The dice were not with me at all this game. It took 3 turns of drop pods shooting at 1 Warrior Acolyte to kill it, and it took a drop pod and the entire Tac squad to finish off the 1 WA left in the 2nd squad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast