<2000 Ideas on how to create a successful non-meta list? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

Ideas on how to create a successful non-meta list?

Ok guys, right now there a three basic successful GKs tournament lists, but I would love to brainstorm a list that breaks with the norm like the eldar list that did pretty well at adepticon this year.

We have purifier msu rhino/razorback lists, draigo and paladin lists, Coteaz henchmen list, and then a mix of the 3 above. Almost all of them run minimized unit sizes and maximizes Dedicated Transport options with rifleman dreads and a Dreadknight pops up every once in a while.

So, my question is how can we surprise our opponents with non-meta lists? Do we run all purifiers on foot, a totally deep striking strike squad list with termi muscle? I would love you get some opinions from you guys on how to break the mold and the rut that alot of us find ourselves in and hopefully have some fun trying out different things that knock the socks off your normal opponents.

Here is a sample list that is very different from the meta that I came up with. It is focused around deep striking and fast movement and has zero dedicated transport or normal heavy support options.

Modrak and 4 ghost knights
    Librarian w/ stave, teleport homer, 3 powers, 3 servo skulls

2 dreadknights, teleporters, 1 hammer, and 1 sword

3x10 strike squads w/ 2 psycannons, 2 hammers, 4 halberds, 2 swords, psybolts
    5 strike squad w/ 1 psycannon, swords, psybolts

2000 pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

One option that has been discussed is a foot strike squad spam. I don't have a calc. to do the points but you could prob fit 6 in at 1750.then you could take some interceptors, or paladins, or anything really that gives you some extra anti tank. hQ would prob be a librarian for the excellent toolbox of powers.

Incinerator spam could be cool to play. Again take a base of strike squads, 4 squads of 4x incinerator purgatory squad, some pallies or purifiers with incinerators and some interceptors with incinerators. HQ could be anything that can carry an incinerator.

Struggling now but.. Dread spam ? But with no autoannons allowed! You could take six, with a mix of weapons, and the army could be themed around an anti psyker force ( aegis).

I'll leave it there for ow but interested to see other peoples ideas.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

There is also interceptor spam, which is amazingly fun to play. Having 30 models which can basically teleport anywhere, makes their movement phase very amusing! *hrmm.. I'll move this over here and this.. no, wait.. that means he can jump behind me.. damn.. what about... no... That also exposes me...*

3 units of 10 Interceptors with psybolts, 2x psycannons and a hammer comes to 930 (945?)

Perhaps something like:

Grandmaster w/ nades, incinerator

10 Terminators

5 Terminators

3x 10 Interceptors w/ psybolts, 2x psycannons, hammer and stave.

Thats roughly 1835 with the upgrades shown. Gives you a healthy number of points to upgrade stuff with. The GM makes the Interceptors scoring.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

163 (x3)

Grand Master could also make the interceptors scout. Imagine three squads of interceptors out flanking...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Or 30 Interceptors getting a first turn charge by 12" scout move then 12" + 6" on turn one.

I have been working on a foot spam 2000 point list.

HQ: =][= + rad 40
    Elites 10 Purifiers, 4 PC, hammer, 5 halberds 295
    Elites 10 Purifiers, 4 PC, hammer, 5 halberds 295
    Troops 10 GKSS, 2PC, Hammer, Psybolt 250
    Fast: 10 Interceptors, 2PC, Hammer, Psybolt 310
    Fast: 10 Interceptors, 2PC, Hammer, Psybolt 310

I could drop rad grenades to convert 10 Purifiers to interceptors but I doo like the extra combat power of purifiers and currently trhey are already painted. The 30" threat range of 70 grey knights makes up for the lack of transport manouverability.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    Or 30 Interceptors getting a first turn charge by 12" scout move then 12" + 6" on turn one.
    Sounds interesting, but for the life of me, I can't find where the interceptors get a scout move in the codex. Please let me know where that is as this sounds like it would be a lot of fun. People are constantly bringing anti vehicle firepower to our games and having a foot slogging list would throw them off quite a bit.
    "The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas." - Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

163 (x3)

They don't automatically have a scout move, but one of the GM's strategies can give them the scout ability.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x2)

There is no GM in his list though. It's certainy a good idea though and it caused me to go off and put a list together that did have one .
    "The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas." - Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

list mentioned above or ...

you could make a list the only uses terms (since GK core is terms with SS are their specials)

could go for a
    grand master w/upgrades (dont know)

2x Purfiers Squads x10 w/ 4PC, 4halberds, hammer, rhino

2x terms x10 w/upgrades

i dont have my codex on me but that should be something like 1500 points or something

just an idea

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

163 (x3)

That above list is pushing 1750. Instead of a GM with the above list you might be interested in an ordo maleus inquisitor in termi armour and a psycannon. You can take 2 of them for the price of the one GM and have 2 extra psycannons to boot.

+ Reply to Thread