<3000 3000pts Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3000pts Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

3000pts Guard

So I've made this list and I want to get you guys opinion on it. It looks all right in my head but its very infantry heavy which I tend to avoid. I have 2 infantry platoons, the second one is the one I'm questioning whether its better to have it rather than a couple of Fast Attack choices.

HQ
    CCS
    plasma pistol, Plasma gun x4, carapace armour
    Chimera
    *Please note that all chimeras are armed the same in this list with a multilaser and heavy flamer*

Elites
    Ratlings x10

Psyker battle squad 10-man
    Chimera

Psyker battle squad 10-man
    Chimera

Troops
    Infantry Platoon #1
    PCS
    4x grenade launcher
    Chimera

50 man blob
    commissar, power weapons x6, melta guns x5

Infantry Platoon #2
    PCS
    4x grenade launcher
    Chimera

2 20man squads or 1 40man blob
    Lascannon x4, grenade launcher x4

Chimelta vets (x3)

Heavy Support
    Battle tanks x2
    hull lascannon x2

Battle tank x2
    hull lascannon x2

Demolisher x2
    hull lascannon x2

So I like the general feel but the second infantry platoon has me questioning whether or not the points could be more useful elsewhere. I also have 35 points floating about looking for a use which will probably be for an officer of the fleet. The second psyker squad could be a little much but I like the idea of forcing a number of fall backs by reducing units LD to 2 after I whittle them down.

Plenty of armour floating about the field as well. 8 chimeras and 6 leman russ.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

You can reduce the 4 squads with lascannons to 2 squads empty (place them in cover on your obj, put them to ground and forget about them, or use them as an extra-cheap bubblewrap), purchase 2 chimeras and 2 SWS with 3x flamers or GL and put them in these transports.

2 vehicles more and 8 flamers template ready to go (or 12 s6 shots, at a reasonable long range)
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputation
    1547 (x8)

For the 35 points you could add a commissar to the 2nd infantry blob squad. Other then that its pretty good.
    Waffles waffles waffles waffles?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by nacho cheese View Post
    For the 35 points you could add a commissar to the 2nd infantry blob squad. Other then that its pretty good.
    I had considered the commisar but the 40 man squad might be split into 2 so it would benefit only half of them, thats where the 35 points came from in fact, as they will be hanging back with the CCS who will order them to get back in the fight if need be, other wise will be ordering them to bring it down! To pop open a transport or two so my Leman Russes can blow up infantry which their much more adept at than blowing up vehicles.

I have considered using the 35 points to set up a vox network as well then giving the 40 man squad a few special weapons or a body guard with the CCS with the left over points. There are a few options available to me, I'm tentative about the vox network as I'd lose a plasma gun from the CCS. I like the plasma squads, they have saved my bacon a couple of times but about half the time they don't really get to use them as everything else that enters their range is demolished by everything else.
    I try not to use the plasma gunners till I need them so they remain a pleasant surprise for my opponent who is unaware. (We play it that we don't have to show our lists just for added challenge. Allows each player to spring a big surprise. Like say a 50-man blob squad with 6 power weapons out flanking, that was fun. Tied up his thunder wolf cavelry for 5 rounds of combat and killed a grey hunter squad and an enemy HQ before they were wiped out so made their points back before they were wiped out.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

they'll charge you in combat, win it, then you'll lose 40 men in a turn. not nice.
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Frost89 View Post
    they'll charge you in combat, win it, then you'll lose 40 men in a turn. not nice.
    Thats what the commissar is for, stubborn LD9, on the 50 man squad which would act as a literal meat wall to block the way into the rest of my guys. They will last a couple of rounds at least even against the toughest of CC units. The 40 man squad is a liability in that respect that if they were charged it would be all over, which is why I'm more leaning to 2 20-man squads. More targets and also gives me the oppertunity to shoot at more of his units in a turn.

In truth what I want is for him to kill those squads quickly if my opponent was to CC them, it would leave them out in the open ready for my Leman Russ tanks to just pie plate them.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

417 (x7)

believe me, you opponent will find a way to reach your non-stubborn guys.

1. assault the stubborn guards from a side, to pull them off the line.
    2. charge through the now opened space with another CC unit to the non stubborn guys (or maybe get tank shocked or lose a bunch of guards from shooting earlier to allow a drop zone for deepstrikers...)
    3. lose the non stubborn guys
    4. sadness

I had a plan like yours once, but it does not meet reality too well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

believe me, you opponent will find a way to reach your non-stubborn guys.

1. assault the stubborn guards from a side, to pull them off the line.
    2. charge through the now opened space with another CC unit to the non stubborn guys (or maybe get tank shocked or lose a bunch of guards from shooting earlier to allow a drop zone for deepstrikers...)
    3. lose the non stubborn guys
    4. sadness

I had a plan like yours once, but it does not meet reality too well.
    But what do I lose from losing them? 140pts for a 20 man squad? Well if I'm fighting marines then there is a very high probability that what ever assaulted them is going to cost more than that so I'll make my points back easily enough if the squad that killed them is caught in the open.
    I'm not worried if I lose them, loses are inevitable, sacrifices essential when using Guard. One thing is certain, I'm not going to be charging with them so they will be charged and there is very little probabilty that I will win the CC and even less of a chance of me staying. Once I take 5 wounds I need a LD of 3 or more, not very likely at all.
    I'll use it to bubble wrap a more vital unit. If my opponent decides to shoot them to death rather than charge, thats fine too, means he's not firing at some else more essential. I'm not saying its fool proof but it can work and has worked for me in a similar fashion in the past.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

417 (x7)

Well if they're just 20 you're right.
    I thought we were talking about a 40 men force. My bad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

Well if they're just 20 you're right.
    I thought we were talking about a 40 men force. My bad
    Well Im taking a 40-man platoon so I have the option to do what ever with them.

+ Reply to Thread