<2000 Questions on Miniwargaming BA list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions on Miniwargaming BA list

Hey guys,

I was bored so i was checking up on miniwargaming (which i havent done in a while) and Dave talked about a 1.5k BA list that lokked fun but i dont know how well it would perform. Here it is:

HQ:
    mephiston

Elite:
    (x2) Priest w/ JP

Troops:
    (x2) 10 ASM w/ 2 melta + PF

Fast Attack:
    (x3) Baal Preds w/ Heavy Bolters

Heavy:
    (x2) Dev Squad w/ 4 ML

Basically this list looks pretty fun, but im not sure if its powerful. The fact that there are 3 Ball preds and no other tanks means that they will probably die early (unless outfalnking). The rest of the list looks pretty good though to me. 8 ML will give good and dependable heavy fire. Each 10 man jp ASM squad has a priest (which always pisses off my brother when I play him, there just hard to kill ) which can go for objectives or whatever. Then of course there is Mephiston. Ive never personally used him but im tempted, as the thigs that I hear about him are crazy. (700 points killed in one battle, taking out 4x his point value-ish...etc) but any smart player will focus alot of fire on him (baal preds could help???)

What are your idea, and is this viable???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is quite viable in my opinion but you need to be careful using it. You can't throw the assault marines at any squad just because they have furious charge. And don't think they are unstoppable either, with a single demolisher hit the whole squad will die even with feel no pain.
    This army however is good versus hordes but how will it fair against a terminator army or one with 2+ armor save? You have 4x meltaguns and 2x powerfists and Mephiston. You'll definetely struggle against them.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

That list wouldn't worry me. It feels optimized for countering Razorback spam and its relatives, but my Drop Marines and heavy-infantry Guard would do just fine. The big thing to notice is how he only has the two scoring units. If you have any way to plant a scoring unit in his backfield, you'll be able to divide his forces easily.

About Mephiston. He's murderously effective against certain targets, which also happen to be the most common these days: combat-squadded Marines, Monstrous Creatures, the slower vehicles and elites like bike squads. He does not like shooty opponents or cheap hordes like Orks and Gaunts. Without a transport, enemy psychic hoods and the like can leave him footslogging...a major drawback for Mr. Please-Don't-Melta-Me.

So, I expect this guy's plan is for the Baals to spearhead an advance, with Meph and his choirboys behind them, and they'll keep the enemy too busy to stop the Devs from blowing open transports left and right. Here's what my armies would do:

IG, infantry blobs & Russes
    My typical list has few good targets for his Devastators so I can ignore them initially. First, I'll try to bait him into deepstriking one of those assault squads by deliberately leaving a gap in my lines, then blocking it up on Turn 1 with a blob. (If he falls for it then the two-LRBT squadron I regularly bring can probably one-shot the entire unit when they arrive.) Next, I shell his remaining scoring unit(s) behind the Baals. Once his troops are dead, he can only tie at best, and I'll gain the upper hand at CC. Meph will probably reach my lines and kill a blob before my lascannons and command squads can finish him.

While this goes on, my outflanking element--Penal Legions, typically, or a Valkyrie--will outflank and head for his Devastators and home objective. He can divide his forces to stop them, which will probably create a tie game, or they'll kill those min-maxed squads and win by holding his home base.

Drop BA:

I'll land my Librarian & Furioso Dreadnoughts first, off to one side of his deployed forces. My defensive Razorbacks and Dreadnoughts will pick away at the Devs while my Dreads discourage him from advancing across the table. In particular, my Librarian Dread will try to use his psychic hood & flight ability to interfere with Meph. (If Libbie prevents his strength ability then my Furioso can actually do him in, if it comes to that. Or, Libbie might do it himself with his force weapon.) Future Pods will either by placed at my home objective, so my defenses will be too strong for him once he defeats my original drop, or to kill his Devastators to prevent future losses of armor, or to the opposite side of his deployment zone to create a two-front battle. Meph can only be on one side of the table at a time, right? And Predator-equivalents don't do well in crossfires; their weak flanks are inevitably exposed.

There's a chance his antitank will get lucky and kill my first Drop quickly, which would hose my strategy. But that's the risk of Drop tactics.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried this list on vassal today and got whooped by 'nids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I didnt think it would fare that well, but a man can dream The general verdict is that most armies would beat this, but it still has a chance against the RB spam which is quite popular. Oh well, thanks for the overview.

+ Reply to Thread