<3000 Footslogging/Artillery Guard list 2500 pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

Footslogging/Artillery Guard list 2500 pts

I am sick of painting Chaos! I love Chaos, I really do, I have 5500 points of Daemons and nearly 9000 of Chaos Space Marines, but I'm tired of painting them! So it came down to Eldar or Imperial Guard as my new army, as I wanted something that would be a completely different playstyle from either of what I had. I couldn't decide on a theme for an Eldar army, as, unlike my two Chaos armies, I don't plan on having at least one of EVERYTHING in this new one, just 2500 points. Therefore, the 111th Golgothan Rifles (plus support elements) was born!

The idea here is to have an almost entirely footslogging Guard army, with tons of cheap infantry swamping the foe while supported by artillery and sniper fire to harass and pin the enemy, with some heavy weapons teams sniping at larger vehicles and units. So, comments, critiques, tactical suggestions are all welcome!

HQ:

Company Command Squad
    -Regimental Standard
    -Vox-caster
    -Mortar heavy weapon team
    -Master of Ordnance
    -Astropath/Officer of the Fleet/x2 Bodyguards (I'd choose one of these three, depending on the situation)
    -Camo-cloaks/carapace armour (same as above, depends on situation)

Elites:

Ratling Snipers x10

Ratling Snipers x10

Ratling Snipers x10

Troops:

Platoon A
    -Platoon Command Squad
    -Vox-caster

-Infantry Squad
    -Commissar with power weapon
    -Meltagun
    -Vox-caster

-Infantry Squad
    -Meltagun

-Infantry Squad
    -Meltagun

-Heavy Weapons Squad
    -Missile Launchers x3

-Heavy Weapons Squad
    -Missile Launchers x3

Platoon B
    -Platoon Command Squad
    -Vox-caster

-Infantry Squad
    -Meltagun
    -Vox-caster

-Infantry Squad
    -Meltagun

-Infantry Squad
    -Meltagun

-Heavy Weapons Squad
    -Missile Launchers x3

-Heavy Weapons Squad
    -Missile Launchers x3

Platoon C
    -Platoon Command Squad
    -Vox-caster

-Infantry Squad
    -Meltagun
    -Vox-caster

-Infantry Squad
    -Meltagun

-Infantry Squad
    -Meltagun

-Heavy Weapons Squad
    -Lascannons x3

-Heavy Weapons Squad
    -Lascannons x3

Fast Attack:

Scout Sentinel Squadron x2
    -x2 Autocannons

Scout Sentinel Squadron x2
    -x2 Autocannons

Heavy Support:

Colossus Heavy Mortar
    -Enclosed crew compartment
    -Hunter-killer missile

Colossus Heavy Mortar
    -Hunter-killer missile

Colossus Heavy Mortar
    -Hunter-killer missile

Total comes to 2490, so I have a handful of points to play around with. Basic tactics would be to combine the infantry squads into three groups of 30, use them to advance on the enemy while providing cover for command squads behind. Ratlings would infiltrate into cover, and between them and the command squad mortars, should be able to pin non-fearless units and generally piss off the foe. The Colossuses (Colossi?) would stay far back, preferably behind buildings or something because they can't direct fire anyway, and lob shells at the enemy. Heavy weapon teams and Sentinels would work at anti-tank or anti-MC, which the Ratlings would be good at also.

Ideas? Comments? Mean-spirited laughter and finger pointing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

Since i LOVE footslogging guard, i do salute you, General.

A general tips about infantry guard
    1. Detached HWT are extremely fragile. A single s6+ unsaved wounds will force a morale test vs ld7. 50-50 chance to flee, which often means to reach the table border or another rank of infantry, destroying the squad. Blend them in infantry squads, they work wonders.
    2. You can't use the mortar in combo with the master of ordnance as a "guide shot" for multiple barrage weapons. Don't ask me why, i read it in some faq i think but i can't recall where. Anyway, it makes sense because you cant "guide" an artillery shot miles and miles away with a little mortar!
    3. Keep it cheap: often upgrades are a sink of points. think carefully if it is worth the effort (protip: often it is not)

Now, down to the list itself.
    If i got it correctly, you're trying to use your infantry squads offensively, closing in to the enemy and looking for Close Combat. This isn't bad per se, but it need to be planned carefully, and you shouldn't put ALL your infantry in this role. Artillery can be fun as a theme, supporting the advance of unending human bodies on the field. In game tho, these won't last long at all. You've 3 av12 hulls and 4 av10 walkers. All the enemy antitank will be directed there (think an average DE build at this point it has at least 4 dark lances for each vehicle, or SW with 2/3 missiles each. Not nice, right?). You need target saturation to shield properly your hulls.
    I know that artillery is your preferred "flavour" but did you considered heavy tanks for support instead? they're not much more expensive (actually, a naked leman russ is cheaper than the upgraded colossus!), much more durable, and can move alongside your marching infantry, providing mobile cover! What's not to like in this?

Here's my suggestion for your list

HQ:
    Company Command Squad (75p)
    vox, Lascannon
    (this unit will overwatch the gunline)

Company Command Squad(110p)
    4x Plasmaguns
    (this unit will follow the main advance)

Heavy Support:
    2x Leman Russ Battle Tank with Lascannon (330p)
    2x Leman Russ Battle Tank with Lascannon (330p)
    2x Leman Russ Executioner (380p)

Troops:
    Platoon 1 (380p)
    Platoon command squad (Autocannon)
    Infantry Squad (Autocannon, meltagun, Power Weapon)
    Infantry Squad (Autocannon, meltagun, Power Weapon, vox, commissar, Power weapon)

Platoon 2 (380p)
    Infantry Squad (Autocannon, meltagun, Power Weapon, vox, commissar, Power weapon)

Platoon 3 (350p)
    Infantry Squad (Lascannon)
    Infantry Squad (Lascannon, vox, commissar)

2445 points
    You've left 55 points to spend as you like (I'd take another commissar and another vox caster for platoon 3, and 3 melta bombs 1 per platoon, as an extra insurance against walkers.)

Basically, platoon 3 will be your home gunline, blasting away every target it will face reliably every turn (4x twin linked lascannons )
    Platoons 1 and 2 will help turn 1 and 2 destroying enemy transports, with the help of the leman russ tanks. From turn 3 (even turn 2 actually) you can begin footslogging and looking for the charge which if you manage to get you'll dish out 20 power weapons attacks and 50 normal attacks each platoon
    The tanks will follow the marching men, being bubblewrapped against enemy meltaguns.

I'd pay to see this list on the field it will be MASSIVE
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

I like the ideas, I'm currently mulling over whether or not to switch to the tanks instead of Colossi. The advantage I see for the Colossi though is that being barrage and unable to direct fire anyways, I could hide them behind buildings or something completely out of sight and potshot however I'd like. The Sentinels are actually just targets for enemy anti-tank so they don't target my HWT until they've done some damage, and if I can use the Sents' autocannons to knock out transports before they go boom, all the better.

My theme isn't so much artillery as it is a pinning list, which is why I have the mortars and so many Ratlings. I know it wouldn't work too well against a Fearless army, but no theme-list is an all-comers list. Plus I just like the idea of 30 sniper rifles firing in one turn, hahaha.

I do have to say thank you for letting me know about the Master of Ordnance/mortar combo, I really thought I'd be able to do that . And good advice on less upgrades, I'll probably drop one of the Regimental Advisors (the MoO probably, simply because there are a lot of reserve lists in my area and that Officer of the Fleet will be so useful) and the camo-cloaks/carapace. Is the Regimental Standard worth it too, besides just looking cool?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

i'm advising you to steer away as "pinning" as your main strategy choice.
    More than half of the armies out there are marines, so ATSKNF is going to slap your pinning in the face. Another quarter is fearless (At least it is what you should pin) or it is mechanized (so pinnings are useless).
    You're looking at a very very narrow subset of opponents where pinning has a chance to stick and even there it is unreliable (artillery scatters, high leadership)

If you still plan to follow the pinning route, you should max out psykers battle squads, and drop enemy leadersip every turn. This way you have a chance to pull it off.
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

355 (x8)

How does ATSKNF void pinning? I just reread it and it only has to do with auto-regrouping and sweeping advances, nothing about pinning.

And note, I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm genuinely curious to see if I mis-read such a major rule.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

417 (x7)

if i recall correctly, marines thanks to ATSNKF can immediately get up after being pinned, at the start of their turn, instead of waiting 1 full turn being pinned on the ground.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

355 (x8)

Quoted word-for-word in the codex:

"And They Shall Know No Fear:
    Space Marines automatically pass tests to regroup, and can take such tests to regroup even if the squad has been reduced to less than half-strength by casualties, though all other criteria apply. Usually troops that regroup cannot move normally and always count as moving whether they do or not, but these restrictions do not apply to models subject to this special rule. If Space Marines are caught by a sweeping advance, they are not destroyed and will instead continue to fight normally. If this happens then the unit is subject to the No Retreat! rule in this round of combat and might therefore suffer additional casualties."

As I read it, they still get pinned and have to go to ground for their turn as well as mine, but again, I may have read that wrong.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

417 (x7)

I might be on the wrong side, you know
    My interpretation was how i was told it works, i don't own marines

(anyway, either interpretation we choose, pinning is still unreliable imho )

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Nah, ATSKNF doesn't help with pinning. Not that half of Marines aren't fearless, anyway.

I'm currently mulling over whether or not to switch to the tanks instead of Colossi.
    A solid move. At least use Basilisks instead of Colossi, maybe six of them. That'll make indirect fire optional rather than mandatory and Bassies are effective against vehicles, too. By squadroning them you can put a huge number of instant-death wounds on a squad...useful for picking out characters and special weapons. And, since huge games are often played on huge boards, I don't think the minimum range will be problematic.

I find that most infantry-heavy lists benefit from having a character or two to lead them. Just an idea.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

417 (x7)

Colossus is the ultimate weapons against marines and t4/3+ in general. not even a basilisk can hope to match is great firepower.
    Basilisk is better only against heavier vehicles, but still, if you fire directly you're going to be shot at, and firing indirectly means that you'll hardly hit vehicles

About special characters: i'd personally pick Alraheem first and maybe straken if i manage to find the points.
    Last edited by Frost89; May 30th, 2012 at 23:23.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast