[1500] Imperial Guard, Diverse and my first go at IG. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

[1500] Imperial Guard, Diverse and my first go at IG.

I am a previous player of DA and Tau ad before Eldar come out I have decided to go IG. A challenge I hope.
    I am working on a Commando Khaki and Scorched Brown colour scheme and have already done a Leman Russ as such.
    Using Grenadiers.

HSO 132
    Carapace Armour, plasma pistol, power sword, refractor field, Iron Discipline
    Standard bearer, Medic.
    Mortar.

Anti-tank Squad 110
    3 lascannon

5 deep strike Stormtroopers 73
    Melta gun, grenade launcher.

Infantry Platoon.

Command Squad. 66
    JO
    Powersword, bolt pistol
    Mortar, Iron discipline.

5 squads, all with Heavy Bolters and Grenade launchers. 390

8 Stormtroopers 100
    2 plasma guns
    Chimera 93
    Multi laser, Heavy bolter smke ex armour.

7 Stormtroopers 90
    2 plasma guns
    Chimera 93
    Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer, smoke, ex armour.

2 Leman Russ Battle Tanks 336
    Hull lascannon, sponson heavy bolters, smoke launchers.

1483 pts.

I was considering swoping some of the heavy bolters for lascannon but the hail of ap4 that platoon can put down is pretty nice.

The command squads hide behind cover and drop mortar shells on the opposition behind the ranged Chimera if needsbe.
    The other Chimera will advance without the stormtroopers intending to burn stuff. Or possibly with them, but disembarking them pretty quick

I was considering some lascannon in the platoons squads?

What do you tink theres 17pts left to play with, extra armour on the Russ'? though I dont intend to move them too much.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

HSO 132
    Carapace Armour, plasma pistol, power sword, refractor field, Iron Discipline
    Standard bearer, Medic.
    Mortar.
    You've got the right idea, with this unit being seemingly configured mainly for leadership and staying behind the lines (ie the mortar). That's good. However I'd probably part with with most or all of the wargear given to your HSO. If the enemy is close enough for you to fire that plasma pistol at them, something has gone very wrong. And if they're that close, the carapace armor and refractor field probably won't help. Not to mention that the 35 points you spent on that wargear could buy three and a half plasma guns for your infantry squads or similar kit. No amount of wargear will make even a Guard HQ character into a formidable close combat opponent, so best to stick with a bolter (for the bargain price of 1 point) or maybe a storm trooper. The medic is at your discretion, but since most people don't even allow us to get armor saves, it strikes me as a waste. Oh and you can save 5 points by simply getting a Junior Officer and giving him the Honorifica Imperialis, and he'll operate with the exact same stats as an HSO.

Anti-tank Squad 110
    3 lascannon
    The problem here is that with the lack of screening and relative ease of passing a target priority check, these guys are gonna get nailed early and hard. Unless your opponent has a serious lack of ranged firepower or is incompetent, I wouldn't predict these guys would last more than one or possibly two turns at most. And six guardsmen is pretty easy to kill to snag 100+ victory points and wipe out most of your anti-tank firepower. I'd mix these lascannons into 3 of your line squads where they have 9 other guardsmen willing to bite the bullet before your heavy weapon goes down. Not to mention that then you can split your fire and use only what you need to take down a vehicle. Then replace the anti-tank squad with a fire support squad consisting of those heavy bolters you replaced. They're a lesser target for your opponent and together they can deliver a huge amount of firepower onto vulnerable swarms and lightly-armored forces.

5 deep strike Stormtroopers 73
    Melta gun, grenade launcher.
    Just curious, but why the grenade launcher? Usually with deep-striking stormtroopers, its either 2 meltaguns who drop down and nail armor, or 2 plasmaguns to rapid fire the hell out of heavily armored troops like space marines.

Command Squad. 66
    JO
    Powersword, bolt pistol
    Mortar, Iron discipline.

5 squads, all with Heavy Bolters and Grenade launchers. 390
    Personally I'd ditch the power weapon, but 5 points is less of an investment than the 35 points on the Heroic Senior Officer. The five meaty squads are excellent, it gives you much-needed numbers. If you replace some of the heavy bolters with lascannons as suggested above, you might want to replace the grenade launchers for those squads with plasmaguns, to give them some added punch. Personally I'd replace the two remaining heavy bolters with autocannons to get the extra 12" of range and +2 strength. And all that for the 5 points you spent on a power sword! An autocannon and a grenade launcher in one squad is hell on light transports and Armor 4+ troops.

Beyond that, the list doesn't look too bad. I'm not big on flamer-equipped Chimeras, but it works for other people so I'll let them give their own critiques. Hope that was helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x5)

Thanks alot.

The grenade launcher in the stoormtroopers has twice the range of a melta so I though if I scattered out of 12" against rear armour I could still crack it.

I will probably drop some of that equpment it just seemed fluffy for the commander to at least have a shiny stick.

You are probably right on the lascannon issue, but using the lascannon diverts 9 lasguns in a squad and none in a heavy weapons platoon. Wheras the heavy bolter compliments the squads firepower better.
    Cheers,
    Wings.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

144 (x3)

If you want to get real technical, an anti-tank squad still diverts the 3 lasguns from the loaders, but that's getting rather anal-retentive. Its your army so your unit choices are up to you, but I'd just point out that lasguns aren't nicknamed "flashlights" for no reason. Games Workshop gave us a basic weapon that in most cases, is next to useless. There's always exceptions to the rule, where mass lasguns eventually drag down something big by rapid firing within 12", but those are the sort of thing that make up stories that begin "This one time....", whereas the bolters on a space marine spell annihilation at the same close ranges. Imperial Guard have to rely upon our assortment (and large numbers) of special and heavy weapons, as they are the only thing that can inflict consistent casualties on the enemy. Any lasgun kills are bonuses, rather than potentially "wasted" shots.

Anyway, play a few games with your list and see how it goes. Opinions and experiences will vary, of course. And good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x4)

I really agree with Sokhar on all of his thoughts.

If I faced your army, the first thing I'd gun for would be the Anti-Tank Lascannon Team. It's just too dangerous, while still being very easy to wipe out. I'd make it priority one, and have you put it back into your box by turn two.

I also agree that you've got too much kit on your HSO. I understand why you do it. To make him stand out. Heck, I've gotten alot of flak because I put Power Swords on my Officers in my Mech list (who sit back with Mortars and never EVER see hand to hand). But I'm an Officer in the US Armed Forces, and damnit, if I was an Officer in the Imperial Guard, I'd DEMAND a Power Sword, if for no other reason than a badge of battlefield office!

Everything else looks real nice.

If you're really having a hard time determining where to put your extra 17 points, I noticed you don't have Extra Armor on your Russ MBTs. I'd really recommend it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that the one Command Squad and 5 infanty platoons only count as 1 troops selection...?

Shouldn't there be another command squad (splitting those 5 squads up) I don't have the codex in front of me, but I thought each platoon only counts as one troops choice...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Doom

The grenade launcher in the stoormtroopers has twice the range of a melta so I though if I scattered out of 12" against rear armour I could still crack it.
    Well, since you have the extra points why not use a plasma gun for popping armor if you scatter more then 12". It would probly work a lot better.

Brother Fenix, your right one platoon of 55 infantry can count as only one troops choice. But I don't see what your problem is with this...

Also, what Doctrines are you using? If you've got Grenadiers then you can't take stormtroopers as elites without the additional "Allow Stormtrooper Squads" Doctrine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 (x6)

If he takes the Grenadiers Doctrine then he does qualify as having enough troops choices, as the Stormtroopers become two more troops choices.

However, if you are planning on using your stormtroopers as elites, then you do need to make another platoon of regular infantry, or at least toss in an armored fist squad.

My biggest suggestion to you is plasma plasma plasma. It'st he best, cheapest thing that you can toss in to every squad that can get their dirty little hands on it. You WILL fight lots of Space Marine armies if you get out and play enough, and believe me, you will not regret taking tons of plasma guns after your first encounter.

If I were you, I would consider dropping a squad of Storm Troopers for a heavy bolter or autocannon squad with sharpshooter. I get so much use out of my heavy weapons teams that it's just silly. That being said, however, the only heavy weapons that should not be put in a heavy weapons team are lascannons. They can only shoot at one tank per turn in a heavy weapons team and, like another poster already said, they are just too easy to kill when they are all bunched up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Yes!
    Plasma is the best when in comes to special weapons IMO. I use it VERY heavily in my army list and it has not failed me yet. With your 17 points left over you could easily upgrade all of your grenade launchers(or at least all the ones in your platoon) with plasma guns.

Some useful Doctrines for you to take would be Droptroops, Iron Discipline and maybe close order drill since you have no Vox Casters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H0urg1ass
    If he takes the Grenadiers Doctrine then he does qualify as having enough troops choices, as the Stormtroopers become two more troops choices.

However, if you are planning on using your stormtroopers as elites, then you do need to make another platoon of regular infantry, or at least toss in an armored fist squad.
    Obviously I didn't state it well, but this is my point, but now I see under the section about camo scheme, it says "using grenadiers" so never mind

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast