Librarium Online Forums banner

Space Wolves [2000]

722 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Lord_Wallace 
#1 ·
Hey all. After considering some of the input from folks here and at the GW store I frequent I decided to change up my 2000 points list a bit. Any input ya'll have would be appreciated, hopefully this will work.

HQ
Wolf Lord- Runic Armour (artificer armour), Belt of Russ (4+ invul), BP, Frost Blade
(141 pts)

Rune Priest- Runic Armour, Rune Weapon, Plasma Pistol (Psy Power: Storm Caller)
(150 pts)

Wolf Priest- Healing Potions & Balms (ignore first failed armour save per round)
Frag Grenades, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Plasma Pistol, Crozius Arcanum, Fenrisian Wolves x4
(192 points)

Elites
Wolf Scouts (4 members)-1xBP&CCW, 1xPlasma Pistol & PW, 1x Plasmagun, 1x BP& PW

Troops
Grey Hunter Pack 1 (10 members) (Wolf Priest goes here)
7x Bolter&CCW, 1x Bolter&PW, 1x Bolter&PF, 1x Meltagun
(214 pts)

Grey Hunter Pack 2 (10 members)
8x Bolter&CCW, 1xBolter& PW, 1x Bolter&PF
Wolf Guard Pack Leader- Bolter & Power Weapon
(241 points)

Blood Claws Pack (15 members) (Wolf Lord goes here)
12x BP&CCW, 2x BP& PF, 1x BP&PW
(243 pts)

Blood Claws Pack (10 members) (Rune Priest goes here)
8x BP&CCW, 1xBP&PF, 1x BP&PW
(160 pts)

Blood Claws Pack (10 members)
Wolf Guard Leader- Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Wolf Tooth Necklace
(230 pts)

Heavy Support
Long Fang Pack (5 members)
1xHB, 1xML, 2xLascannon, Pack Leader with Bolter&CCW
(214 pts)

Predator Destructor
Turret Autocannon, 2 Sponson HB
(110 pts)

I have been thinking of trimming some points somewhere on the list to upgrade the Pred to a Leman Russ Exterminator....I think it might be worth it, with the extra HB, the twinlinking of the autocannon, and the extra point of armour on the front and sides it would offer.

The only weakness i see in the list is a relatively limited number of really Heavy Weapons (St 7 or higher). Again, any suggestions though would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
give the scout melta bombs and a meltagun, they go behind the lines to bust armour.

I would give the wolf guard power fists, they dish out more pain this way.

Artificer armour is a that expensive for that 2+ save, I would invest it elsewhere.

#5 · (Edited)
Lord_Wallace said:
HQ
Wolf Lord- Runic Armour (artificer armour), Belt of Russ (4+ invul), BP, Frost Blade
(141 pts)
A nice choice, but could be made cheaper. You are spending 20 points points upgrading to a 2+ save, and a further 25 points for a 4+ invun. save, whereas you could pay 15 points for a 2+ and 5+ invun. save. (termy armour)

Lord_Wallace said:
Rune Priest- Runic Armour, Rune Weapon, Plasma Pistol (Psy Power: Storm Caller)
(150 pts)
Perfect. A great combo when working with blood claws. Thought, the artificer armour is a bit pricey.

Lord_Wallace said:
Wolf Priest- Healing Potions & Balms (ignore first failed armour save per round)
Frag Grenades, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Plasma Pistol, Crozius Arcanum, Fenrisian Wolves x4
(192 points)
May I ask what he will do? Charge into combat? Or stay back keeping something alive?

Lord_Wallace said:
Elites
Wolf Scouts (4 members)-1xBP&CCW, 1xPlasma Pistol & PW, 1x Plasmagun, 1x BP& PW
Also a Nice choice. As Wolf Pack said you need a meltagun and meltabombs to bust those tanks' rears.

Lord_Wallace said:
Troops
Grey Hunter Pack 1 (10 members) (Wolf Priest goes here)
7x Bolter&CCW, 1x Bolter&PW, 1x Bolter&PF, 1x Meltagun
(214 pts)

Grey Hunter Pack 2 (10 members)
8x Bolter&CCW, 1xBolter& PW, 1x Bolter&PF
Wolf Guard Pack Leader- Bolter & Power Weapon
(241 points)
A very solid core unit, these will back up the Blood Claws if needed very well. :D

Lord_Wallace said:
Blood Claws Pack (15 members) (Wolf Lord goes here)
12x BP&CCW, 2x BP& PF, 1x BP&PW
(243 pts)

Blood Claws Pack (10 members) (Rune Priest goes here)
(160 pts)

Blood Claws Pack (10 members)
Wolf Guard Leader- Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Wolf Tooth Necklace
(230 pts)
Just great. You have 26(?) combat artists here, so make sure they get into combat. It wouldn't hurt to add a few rhinos(dropping some of the Grey Hunter squads down to 8, or even 6, could pay for these), as this will likely be a good shield. As I found out the hard way, if you're going to include some, don't include just one. One charging towards the enemy on its own might as well have a flashing target painted on it. But, in general, this is a great attacking core, that I'm sure won't dissapoint the Emperor! :)

Lord_Wallace said:
Heavy Support
Long Fang Pack (5 members)
1xHB, 1xML, 2xLascannon, Pack Leader with Bolter&CCW
(214 pts)
Nice, should do its job fittingly.

Lord_Wallace said:
Predator Destructor
Turret Autocannon, 2 Sponson HB
(110 pts)
So this will be a Anti-Infantry? Mmm, okay. Not what I would've chosen, but still a great asset. Due to your *kind of* lack off firepower, I would've gone for a Lascannoned tank.

Lord_Wallace said:
I have been thinking of trimming some points somewhere on the list to upgrade the Pred to a Leman Russ Exterminator
Perhaps trim some of the Grey Hunter squads. You only need one anyway, so Blood Claws could be used to cover up the whole, if you don't want to cut troops for vehicles.

In general a great, great list. I'd like to hear how it does. Good luck ;)

#6 ·
Im currently playing with a Wolf Lord in terminator armour and a Wolf Guard bodyguard in terminator armour (only way to get an effective squad of termies for the wolves). I decided to modify my list in this manner because of the inherent limitations involved with the terminator armour....namely it sucked up a hella lot of points (that I didnt always make back), and had a big "Shoot Your Big Weapons Here" arrow pointing above it. Plus it could only move and assault 6, and only consolidate after winning cc. By getting rid of the unit, even with the extra cost of the runic armour and belt of russ, I was able to add a whole 15 man unit of Blood Claws, my Wolf Scouts, and a Predator. Not a bad trade off IMHO. Unfortunately thats leaving me a bit weak on the Heavy Weapons field.

As for my Rune Priest, he'll be charging with the Blood Claws (as will my Wolf Lord) giving them the cover granted by Storm Caller. The Wolf Priest will be with the Grey Hunters. If they get into combat, all well and good, but he will also be available to block off unsaved wounds that get through from shooting. My army is largely cc based, so thats what i'm focusing on for now. I play alot of infantry armies (i.e. eldar, nids, DE, orks) so Im trying to get one that can kill off tons of enemy hordes before getting into close combat (why i picked the preds configuration the way I did).

Good idea with the Rhinos though....might do that for my 10 man BC squads

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.