[2000] Significant divergance - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

[2000] Significant divergance

Just starting my chapter which I have called the Inquisition's Eyes. I made the colour scheme on DoW and applied it to my commander, now I'm going to start repainting my BT and Ultramarines in this new scheme plus probably get a few more things that I'm missing, most importantly plasma guns.. So heres my first list.

Major Disadvantage: Eye to Eye
    Minor Disadvantage: Have pride in your colours
    Traits: Feirce, stern (Cleanse and purify, No mercy, No Respite)

Master, artificer armour, terminator honours, iron halo, plasma pistol, power weapon, furious charge (whole unit)
    Command squad:
    4 marines, plasma gun, apothecary (bp&ccw), company champion (bp, power weapon, combat shield), standard bearer (company standard, bp&ccw)
    veteran sergeant, power fist, bolter (keeping those because thats what I glued on him and I like the look)

Venerable dreadnought, twin linked lascannon, tank hunter

5 allied grey knight terminators including brother captain, psycannon

3 X 5 marines including 2 plasma guns, veteran sergeant with bolt pistol and power fist

5 marines including 2 flamers, veteran sergeant with bolt pistol and power fist

10 assault marines, furious charge, 2 plasma pistols, veteran sergeant with plasma pistol and power fist

Land speeder, heavy bolter

Predator Annihilator, lascannon sponsons

5 devastators including sergeant, 3 lascannons, missile launcher

Total 1999 points. MSU which should hopefully be able to dish out a bit of death each, enough anti tank stuff for most armies, and other weaponry for hordes. Leadership 10 for the whole army sounds pretty sweet. :cool:

Oh yeah, and here is a pic of the commander I painted for the scheme, probably should add more to him to make him more unique not sure what yet though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Lets see what youve got here....

Quote Originally Posted by strewart
    Master, artificer armour, terminator honours, iron halo, plasma pistol, power weapon, furious charge (whole unit)
    Command squad:
    4 marines, plasma gun, apothecary (bp&ccw), company champion (bp, power weapon, combat shield), standard bearer (company standard, bp&ccw)
    veteran sergeant, power fist, bolter (keeping those because thats what I glued on him and I like the look)
    Honestly drop the command squad. They cost far to many points for what they can accomplish. Secondly they are far to slow.

As to the Master, Artificer Armor and the plasma pistol is a waste of points. You should be gettimng him into close combat as fast as possible where he can do the most damage. Hence that kinda points for a single plas shot really isnt worth it. Secondly in close combat, weapons either ignore armor or dont, so AA isnt all that useful.

Last but not least, apothecaries abilities do not work in close combat, one more way command squads are not properly thought out.

Venerable dreadnought, twin linked lascannon, tank hunter
    May as well add the missile launcher for so few points. 2 shots is better then 1 aftfer all.

5 allied grey knight terminators including brother captain, psycannon
    Sigh, personally I think this is a waste. They are far to expensive.

3 X 5 marines including 2 plasma guns, veteran sergeant with bolt pistol and power fist
    These squads are far to small for close combat or short range shooting. They will be blown apart far to easilly. I would bump their numbers up to 10.

5 marines including 2 flamers, veteran sergeant with bolt pistol and power fist
    IMHO flamers on models that move 6" are useless. Go read the flamer tactica in the sticky "Index of space marine articles and FAQ's" For the mathematics. A savy player can keep you from ever getting a chance to use them.

10 assault marines, furious charge, 2 plasma pistols, veteran sergeant with plasma pistol and power fist
    Perfect, but where is your chaplain to lead them? He will increase the effectiveness of this squad 10 fold. I highlly recommend it.

Land speeder, heavy bolter
    Land speeders with heavy bolters are poor units IMO. Definatelly go with an LST. The assualt cannon makes all the difference.

Predator Annihilator, lascannon sponsons
    The problem with las sponsons is that in order to use them, your oponent needs to oblige you and leave something in its LOS. Otherwise you need to move the pred and can then opnly fire a single strength 7 or above. Obviouslly the TL lascannon is the one you will be firing. So, since you cant count on your oponent to oblige you, HB sponsons are the way to go as you can fire them AND the TL lascannon in the same round as having moved. I cant stress how important it is to be able to move and fire.

5 devastators including sergeant, 3 lascannons, missile launcher
    As soon as this squad starts taking fire, your going to be losing heavy weapons. The general rule for keeping dev squads safe is 1 bolter marine per heavy weapon marine. Secondly, look at the cost of a lascannon. It is a full marine more expensive then the missile launcher. Get your lascannons from tactical squads and place 4 missile launchers here.

You seem pretty new to Warhammer or at least SM. Check my sig and then go to the sticky "Index of SM articles and FAQ's" and read the various articles there. They will give you insight on any things ion the SM armory.

Cheers Mate!
    Chaosbrynn
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of notes here. I dont know if you realized it, but you really dont need to be a significant divergence chapter, unless you have a fluff reason for it. Both of the traits that you took come from the Stern trait, so you only have to be a moderate divergence chapter. That would eliminate the need for you to take the Honor thy Colors disadvantage.

Other than that, I agree with Chaosbrynn. The Missle launcher on your dreadnought would make a world of difference. If you bring a lascannon equipped dreadnought into fire range of enemy heavy weapons, it becomes a magnet for every heavy weapon on the board (at least in my humble experience). Admittedly, thats probably because Dreads OWN in close combat. Regular Landspeeders arn't worth it either. If you upgrade it to a LST, you get an assault cannon on a speeder that can move shoot and do some SERIOUS damage to horde armies.

I agree with Chaosbrynn as far as your command squad goes, but I would go a bit further: scrap the entire thing. I think a Chaplain with a jump pack to go with your Assault squad would go ALOT further toward winning games for you. The Chaplain comes equipped with a power weapon (crozius), a Rosarius (4+ invulnerable save), and the Litanies of Hate which, IMHO, the single most broken rule in the Warhammer 40k world (aside from necron's We'll Be Back). When the squad he leads charges into close combat, they get to reroll ANY misses they get. (Im DYING to get this rule for my chapter (Space Wolves)......as it is i get to roll something like 40 dice on the charge with my assault squad.....Id love to be able to reroll MY misses.) Also, keep in mind that ANY squad he joins becomes fearless. When you put all that together, a Master of Sanctity (upper Chaplain) in an assault squad becomes one of the most powerful single units in the entire game, and will probably win you many games of your own accord.

Get rid of the Grey Knights. Between losing them and the command squad, you could afford to pay for the chaplain and probably put in another squad or two of tactical marines. Dont underestimate standard marine squads, they are probably the most flexible base troop choice in the game.

+ Reply to Thread