[750] Imperial Fists - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

[750] Imperial Fists

Okay, here's the list I'm building up based on models I already have. I've already been told that 6 men is an ideal size of squad for smaller games, and I can see the rationale behind it. So here's what I'm thinking:

Chaplain with bolt pistol, frags, jump pack
    Assault Squad (5) with plasma pistol
    Scout squad (6) with close combat weapons
    3xTactical squads (6) with plasma guns
    Devastator squad (6) with 3 missile launchers
    750 pts

I also have a captain model which I can use, and an extra flamer-armed marine, and I also have the terminator captain (not built yet). I can add a dreadnaught in the future if I reduce the squad sizes and trade the chaplain for my captain.

Anyway, should I try the captain for the LD ability, or keep the chaplain for his assault prowess and fearless ability?
    BTW, I don't have a powerfist, though ideally I'd like to add a vet sgt to the assault squad...I just don't know where the extra points would come from, unless I dropped the scouts. i think I'd rather have the extra unit than the extra vet sgt or two. Hmm.

Chaplain with bolt pistol, frags, melta bombs, jump pack
    Assault squad (6) with plasma pistol and vet sgt with power fist
    3xTactical Squads (6) with plasma guns
    Devastator squad (6) with 3 missile launchers and Vet Sgt with storm bolter
    749 pts

Or I could give the devastator squad the tank-hunters ability instead of the vet sgt, but I'd lose the extra leadership (targeting ability).

Which list will stand a better chance against "all commers"?

4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truthfully, i'd run the scout squad, assault squad, two tacs and a dev. Use the points from the other tac to put a HB in each tac squad, and flesh out the numbers on your assault units.

At least, that's the direction I would go.
    Sam Mills (1959-2005) and Mark Fields - Keep Pounding

Cry Cheese, And Let Loose The Wraithlords And Templar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideally, here's what I would do...

Keep the Chaplain, he's a much better choice than a Captain but make sure you give him Terminator Honours for the extra attack and max out the Assault Squad to take advantage of his ability to re-roll hits on the charge for his entire squad. I would also take the Veteran Sergeant with Powerfist in your Assault Squad, they're too useful to leave behind and how can you have Imperial Fists without one?

Drop the Scouts, the Assault Squad and Chaplain are much better at close combat.

Instead of 3x 6-man Tactical Squads, take 2x 8-man Tactical squads instead. They should be on the front line while your Assault Squad leaps ahead to cover and your Devastators take long range shots at the enemy. They need to get into double-tap range with their bolters and plasmaguns so they need to withstand a few shots.

With the points left I'd throw in that fourth missile launcher for your Devastator Squad. You could take the Tank Hunters skill but I think that having the fourth shot will be more effective since you probably aren't going to be shooting vehicles all the time.

But since you don't have the models I'd go with the second list minus the melta bombs. The Veteran Sergeant and his Powerfist can take care of anything heavy and you have the Devastators to take out armour.
    Last edited by Lleu; July 17th, 2005 at 11:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Hmmm. Good inputs. I have been tinkering a bit with the list and I think I'll include the Vet Sgt with powerfist to lead the assault squad and use a commander for the better leadership overall. I decided to ditch the scouts for use in smaller games. I'll upgrade one of the tac squads to a command squad or veteran squad and give them infiltration. That should cover my bases for a 750 pts game. A few touches to make it fluffy, and...voila! I have a neat little IF army. I like it! Now for the painting...have to test a few techniques to make sure the yellow isn't too light, but isn't too brown, either. Heh. :cool:
    40 grots stomped
    $40K spent on GW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Id just like to point out that in games less then 1000 points a lone Land Speeder with HB and AC is a hell of a thing to deal with. It can win you the game all by itself. I would highlly recommend adding one somehwere in this list.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosbrynn
    Id just like to point out that in games less then 1000 points a lone Land Speeder with HB and AC is a hell of a thing to deal with. It can win you the game all by itself. I would highlly recommend adding one somehwere in this list.
    I don't have one and I think I don't want to use it except in larger games, because I want to stay away from what "every other marine army" looks like. Though, there isn't much difference in codex chapters, hee hee. But I'm more interested in fluff right now...
    40 grots stomped
    $40K spent on GW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Grotstompa
    But I'm more interested in fluff right now...
    Of course that's a good thing, but you've got to remember fluff won't win you the game. The army with the best units will usually win, not neccessarily the most unorthodox army.
    I like your list though, but I too think a Land Speeder would do you great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Okay, i know that assault cannons are great, and a landspeeder is a cheap way to get one, but I really would like to think i can win without it. I don't need to win every game in order to have a good time, as long as my army has a good theme and it's history is characterful. Even with several landspeeders, you won't win them all.

But anyway, I was trying to think of a way to make my army feel a little bit more like Imperial Fists and less like vanilla (even though they don't stray too far from the codex). This means, to me, having at least one unit that uses their trait. And including some terminators would be nice, but I'll save that for a larger army list.

Here's my latest incarnation of the 750 list (with an eye on expanding it to 1000):

Captain in Terminator Armor with storm bolter and 'Uge Power Sword (UPS counts as lightning claw*)
    3 x Tactical Squad (6) with plasma gun in each
    Assault Squad (6) with plasma pistol and vet sgt w/ power fist
    Devastator Squad (6) with 3 missile launchers and Tank Hunter ability
    750 Pts

I can always drop the tank hunter ability and make one of the tac squads a vet squad/command squad with the infiltration skill, if the scenario warrants it. Another option is dropping the terminator captain for a regular captain with plasma pistol and power sword, and add a vet sgt with storm bolter or combi-flamer to lead the infiltrating squad. I think if I did the combi-flamer that I'd also trade the plasma gun for a melta gun in that squad.

Which option would you choose, the terminator captain, or the power armored captain and vet sgt?

*NOTE: I completely understand the WYSIWYG rule. Please don't mention it, it's not a concern for me. It's a house rule that small substitutions are allowed as long as you pay the points. I wouldn't use it in a RT tournament or something like that...
    40 grots stomped
    $40K spent on GW

+ Reply to Thread