Grey Knights: 1500 points - First List, Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Knights: 1500 points - First List, Help!

This is my first attempt at a Daemonhunter list. Please feel free to tear this to pieces.

---------

HQ: 199
    Brother Captain
    3 Grey Knight Terminator Retinue

Troop: 210
    5 Grey Knights
    2 Psycannons
    Teleport Homer

5 Grey Knights
    2 Psycannons
    Teleport Homer

Elite: 160
    Inquisitor: Power Weapon & Teleport Homer
    3 Warrior Henchmen with Melta Guns
    Rhino with Extra Armor

Rhino with Extra Armor

Fast Attack: 170
    5 Man Grey Knight Teleport Squad
    2 Incinerators

2 Incinerators

Heavy: 110
    Grey Knight Dreadnought
    Assault Cannon

Grey Knight Dreadnought
    Assault Cannon

------

1499 Points

Emperor have mercy on those who stand against me, for I shall not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Phoenix Guard 1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rhino with Extra Armor
    This anti-armor position could be better filled with Stormtroopers with meltaguns in a Rhino, which is also much cheaper, by the way.
    5 Grey Knights
    2 Psycannons
    Teleport Homer
    If you're giving these guys 2 psycannons in each squad, they should be kept back, in a fire-support squad. Because they would be kept back, that teleport homer won't do any good. In addition, if you take 2 IST squads instead of those Inquisitors, you can bump these guys into the Fast Attack slots and deploy them last.
    2 Incinerators
    These squads have to be able to come down, absorb about 60% casualties, and still be combat effective. This means making the FAGK squads maxed out. To do this, you might want to consolidate both FAGK squads into 1 squad. This means that most of your forces will come out at the same time and let you get 2 more Fast Attak choices in. You might also want to think about dropping an incinerator, this gives you 2 more cc attacks with higher strength than you would ordinarily have.
    Grey Knight Dreadnought
    Assault Cannon

Grey Knight Dreadnought
    Assault Cannon
    Since you already have enough cc ability with your GKs, you don't really need all that much more. In light of this, you should probably take a Lascannon/missile launcher combo instead of the assault loadout you have now on at least 1 of them.
    1500 years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe
    500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat
    5 minutes ago you knew humans were alone on the planet
    Imagine what you'll know tomorrow

Imagine-John Lennon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

HQ: 199
    Brother Captain
    3 Grey Knight Terminator Retinue
    Thank you so much for not taking a GM. So many people do just because he has good stats, and don't realize how much taking a 150pt model hurts such a small list. Anyways, this unit is just peachy as-is.

Rhino with Extra Armor

Rhino with Extra Armor
    Hmm, that's one way to do anti-armor. I'll do you one better: 8 IST (2 Meltaguns, Vet with TP Homer) & a Rhino (Extra Armor, Smoke). Should cost roughly the same, and is significantly hardier. Also, it frees up the Troopk GK (see below).

5 Grey Knights
    2 Psycannons
    Teleport Homer

5 Grey Knights
    2 Psycannons
    Teleport Homer

2 Incinerators

2 Incinerators
    Alright, now here's a couple of issues. First, Troop GK shouldn't have Teleport Homers - being on foot, 99% of the time they won't be able to get into an advantageous position for the FAGK to use. You also have two TP Homers in Rhinos above this, so you're covered (I only use three in my 2500pt list, so two in 1500 is plenty). Third, the FAGK squads are FAR too small. I'll explain:

FAGK units are Fearless, which means if they lose a combat and are outnumbered (which almost always will happen if they lose a combat), they'll take automatic wounds. That's not something we want to happen! Now, FAGK also cannot move or assault on the turn they land. This means, to take advantage of the suprise of DSing squads, you need to DS them near the enemy and absorb a few casualties in the process. Now remember, you also need to WIN the subsequent combat, or else the Fearless rule gives you auto-wounds. My advice is to NEVER take FAGK units smaller than 8 models.

Finally, the FAGK units have 2x special weapons in each. GK in power armor (which FAGK are one type of) lose their stormbolters AND their Nemesis Force Weapons when you upgrade them to carry a special weapon. What that means is an upgraded GK loses the +2 Str bonus as well as True Grit. And you're PAYING for that to happen! If you take the above advice and take 8-10 man FAGK units, then I'd say a good rule of thumb is 0 psycannons and 0-1 incinerators per FAGK squad. If you keep them this small, I'd say no special weapons whatsoever - you're lessening their combat effectiveness, which increases the chances of losing & being outnumbered, as I talked about above.

Having two special weapons isn't as big of a deal in PAGK squads (ie, the Troop GK units), because they're less assault-centric. In fact, the PAGK units you have with 2x psycannons each make for good shooty squads.

If you swap the Inquisitors for IST units as I suggested, you can drop the PAGK units entirely, and use the points saved to make the FAGK units 8-10 models apiece.

Grey Knight Dreadnought
    Assault Cannon

Grey Knight Dreadnought
    Assault Cannon
    I'm of the mindset that having two identical dreadnoughts is terribly boring. If/when I take two, I like to make them like this: one with Assault Cannon/DCCW/Incinerator, and one with TLLC/Missile launcher. That way one of them (the Assault Cannon one) can also back your GK up in combat, while the long range one can effectively stay out of the fight and potentially last longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mEGALOMANIAC
    Thank you so much for not taking a GM. So many people do just because he has good stats, and don't realize how much taking a 150pt model hurts such a small list. Anyways, this unit is just peachy as-is.
    I completly resent this..maybe its cuz my main oponent has demonic essence...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would say that you should drop one of the Elite Inq. squads and add more Grey knights to the Teleport squads. These should be about 7+ models in order to survive after the deep strike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! This is helping a lot...heres my revision:

Btw, where does it say that if you take a special weapon you lose your Nemesis Force Weapon AND your stormbolter?

----------------

HQ: 214
    Brother Capatain: Sacred Incense
    3 Main Terminator Retinue: 1 Thunderhammer

Troop: 148
    5 Stormtroopers: 2 Melta Guns, Veteran, Teleport Homer
    Rhino: Extra Armor & Smoke Launchers

Troop: 148
    5 Stormtroopers: 2 Melta Guns, Veteran, Teleport Homer
    Rhino: Extra Armor & Smoke Launchers

Fast Attack: 256
    9 Man Grey Knight Teleport Squad: On Justicar-Melta Bombs & Frag Grenades

Grey Knight Dreadnought: Assault Cannon

Grey Knight Dreadnought: Assault Cannon

-------------

I like that fact that the Dreadnoughts have the ability to be good in assault and shooting with this setup. Assault Cannons are fantastic.

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

I think this version of the list is excellent, except for your dreadnoughts. I must highly suggest the hellfire configuration of a Twin linked lascannon with missle launcher. Your list currently has nothing outside of 24" range, at least with the dreads you can hit back at range. Consider this if nothing else, you already have unearthly amounts of CC in your grey knights, do you really need the dreads for that puporse? Try to realize that without long range firepower, your troops won't even get into range to use those teleport homers effectivley.
    Last edited by thedrifter777; August 17th, 2005 at 20:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x8)

Btw, where does it say that if you take a special weapon you lose your Nemesis Force Weapon AND your stormbolter?
    Grey Knight entry: "Up to two models may exchange their weapons for a psycannon at X points or an incinerator at Y points."

And before someone says something about how that's vague and could mean only ONE of the weapons, Grey Knight Terminator entry: "Up to one model may replace their stormbolter with an incinerator at X points or a psycannon at Y points."

All that aside, just look at the models. ^_^
    Last edited by mEGALOMANIAC; August 17th, 2005 at 21:01.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mEGALOMANIAC
    Grey Knight entry: "Up to two models may exchange their weapons for a psycannon at X points or an incinerator at Y points."

And before someone says something about how that's vague and could mean only ONE of the weapons, Grey Knight Terminator entry: "Up to one model may replace their stormbolter with an incinerator at X points or a psycannon at Y points."

All that aside, just look at the models.
    Touche', sir.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 man IST squads...a bad idea, carapace armor sucks so they will be dying, 2-3 deaths and your taking a test. I suggest 8 man GK squads "if ten cant do it, neither will 8" If at least you drop 2 Gks you could have 5 more IST.....FIVE!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast