[2000]Space Marines (Fluff and Tourney) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    With Oden On Our Side... The Doctor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

[2000]Space Marines (Fluff and Tourney)

HQ - 96
    Master with Storm Bolter, Power Weapon, Frags (96 Points I believe *can't find codex*)

Troops - 1302
    Tactical Squad - 222
    w/ 9 Marines, Heavy Bolter, Frags in Rhino with Smoke Launchers, Pintle Storm Bolter

Tactical Squad - 212
    w/ 9 Marines, Heavy Bolter, Frags in Rhino with Smoke Launchers

Tactical Squad - 222
    w/ 9 Marines, Heavy Bolter, Frags in Rhino with Smoke Launchers, Pintle Storm Bolter

Tactical Squad - 212

Tactical Squad - 222

Tactical Squad - 212

Heavy Support - 600
    Devastators - 200
    w/ 4 Missile Launchers, 4 Bolters

Devastators - 200

Devastators - 200

TOTAL - 1998 Marines - 79 Vehicles - 6

The Fluff This Army is based off the U.S. Army. That's why I have the 9 Marines in a Rhino (Bradley APC) with a Heavy Bolter (M-249 SAW). The Devastators are pretty much more squads of men without a transport (They're my Anti-Tank Guys). It is a very Stand-and-Shoot army that can assault if needed (For playing Tau and Guardsmen)

This is my first army, so any positive suggestions that fit my fluff are greatly welcomed. Also, if my points are off on the Master, just smack me and correct me *I have misplaced my Marine codex so the points are all from memory*

Last edited by The Doctor; August 18th, 2005 at 08:50.
    Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

Blood for the Blood God! Beer for the Bronze Keg!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Wolf Scout Meltagunner Wulfbanes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

I like the theme, you just don't have to bring it so harsh and spend 20 points on pintle mounted storm bolters. Also fluff-wise it might be cool to add a scout squad with sniper rifles, and gamewise, they are great at tackling IG and Tau. I check on you're Commander *AFK, looking for own codex...* 75+15+1, so thats 91, so you got 5 points to spend .
    and for the rest of you're army. I would tackle 2 Rhino's, 310 points on transport is a lot! Then drop the storm Boltered ones, for they will fire smokes are be destroyed in the shooting fases. Then spend those points on Drop Pods, and fluff-wise, think of them as Paratroopers. Then you could use the extra points for maxing out the units (dunno how many guys sit in a plain, but as you can stuff 10 in one of them in 40K, why not stuffing them

You might change the "tactical paratroopers" into "assault Paratroopers". Then make them Assault Marines witout the Jump Pack for the extra Close Combat punch that could rip you're opponents apart (like seals), or you can just drop them as tacticals for rapid-fire shooting. *note that it might be wiser to make them assaults, cause IG and Tau can pretty shoot you to bits with combined fire, and adding to that, they both can't hit in CC and you can't be shot while in CC.....

But I think thats up to you to decide. But if you do Tactical-Paratrooper, drop the Heavy Bolters, add Plasma Cannon instead. The rock at eating up those tight-packed IG and tau, just forget the Plasma gun, rapid firing it makes you 33% chance of hot plasma death to the shooter....

Also, for traits, you could get infiltrators, use it on you're devastators (and tactical to loose more rhino's) and they would be like some mighty Intelligence squad that had made it to a better position before battle.

Combinations are endless, just go with fluffy idea of and Elite force, don't think of scouts like troops..., that's something every player should now by now. Also it might be wise to drop a Devastator squad, 600 and 400 is a big difference,,,
    Getting Help = Giving Rep

Space Wolves 5th edition:
    W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Hmm. I like the idea of the Tactical Paratroopers. I don't recall the points for Drop Pods, so when I find my codex *My living room was just cleaned without me, so a lot of my Warhammer books and papers are missing, and presumed to have been boxed up :mad: * I'll look into them. I thought about taking 6 Snipers at one point, but they got pushed to the back burner.

As for droping a Devastator Squad, I don't know. My plan with them was to spread them out along the deployment zone *1 Squad in the middle, the other two 30" or so to each side* to basically cover the board and leave little space for tanks to hide* I agree that 200 points is a lot, but they are very versitile (spelling). I like the ability to launch 4 Krak Missiles at one tank, 4 Krak Missiles at another tank, then 4 Frag missiles and 4 Bolters into a unit of....anything.

As for taking Assault Squads, It's stretching the fluff a bit. There isn't much hand to hand in modern combat, which is the initial reason I steered clear of it. I'm also taking no Plasma...which I failed to mention in my earlier post.

The thing with Tau (of which there are two players around here, and one is me)* and IG (Currently only one)* is that my Normal troops can rip them apart as is, and with the Smoke Launchers forcing the Railguns and Lascannons to be only glancing on the Rhinos, that'll keep more of them around to get me into assault faster.

Again, I'll check out the "Paratroopers" and maybe drop a Devastator Squad and see how I like it.

*I live in a college town, so there is always a chance of a new player arriving every semester
    Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK so you want it themed?
    does that prevent the Master from taking a bolt pistol instead of the storm bolter?

How about including razorbacks or HKs on some of the rhinos?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    Master with Storm Bolter, Power Weapon, Frags (96 Points I believe *can't find codex*)
    It's 96 pts, so don't worry. But it would be 92 if you gave him a BP instead of Storm bolter, and he would have an extra attack.

Tactical Squad - 222
    I hope you don't plan on moving this, because if you move the rhino, you can't shot the Heavy bolter.

Tactical Squad - 212

Tactical Squad - 222

Tactical Squad - 212

Tactical Squad - 222

Tactical Squad - 212
    Same with all of these.

Devastators - 200

Devastators - 200

Devastators - 200
    These are all fine. In larger games, I would take Honour your Wargear and get 3 more for Elites (I managed to fit 22 Missile Launchers in 1500, and it kicks Necron ass).

Also, if my points are off on the Master, just smack me and correct me *I have misplaced my Marine codex so the points are all from memory*
    There's no need for that, calm down.

Right, well, since this is themed, I won't bother telling you that you don't have any assault units. If you want to go competly uber-tanky and armoured-company-ish, I would suggest Deathwing or Black Templars, who can have up to 14 Land Raiders per FOC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

To Cheredanine: I want my Master to be able to shoot well. Thus the Storm Bolter. I didn't take Razorbacks because they don't hold enough people. And HK's are personally a little too high in price for a one use only attack that I already have 12 of.

To Ezekiel: I don't plan on moving unless I'm playing Tau or IG. In this case, I thought that the squad could fire one weapon from the top hatch, but it made the take count as opened topped. Anyway, the first turn I'll pop smoke anyway, so I can't shoot.

By the way, I am in progress making a list where two of the Tactical Squads are in Drop Pods, so I'll put that up when I'm done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

*note:
    Don't put Devastators in a Drop Pod, did it once, and they turned up on turn 4, while everyone was in cc....
    I hated it. I won though, I shot the falling back guys to blittereins (dunno if spelled). Though, 4 heavy weapons to shoot less for 2/3 are quite nasty.

W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

The only units I was thinking of putting into drop pods were two tactical squads bumped to 10 Men. I don't know if I'm still gonna do that, however. I put the army onto a game board (borrowed units from the store and two guys in the store) yesterday, and everyone commented that it looked very intimidating *considering half of the army was painted pink and purple...*.

The Master I modelled looks cool...hopefully I can get a picture of him up soon. (Wields his Storm Bolter outstretched in left hand, Power Axe in the right)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

Like to see the Pic, the list also seems quite deadly. And if you are going to drop pod, Bring the fight to them or trust you're battle brothers should be considered, but then again, you will be fighting some CC with those guys...and we didn't want that did we

W13, L2, D2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Well if I drop the Pintle Storm Bolters and put two in Drop Pods, I'll have the points to do something like that. I'll have 76 points left if I drop the Pintles and the 2 Rhinos go to Drop Pods...So it is a possibility. Bring the Fight to Them could be nice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [EDIT] I also had the thought to take the *forgot name* Trait. It's the one that adds Tank Hunter to Devastator Squads. If done to all 3 squads, it would cost 72 points. I thought about only taking it on 2 (48 points) and leaving the other squad to drop Frags onto squads that seem like they need a good fragging. With the extra points I'll put a Marine onto the two Drop Pod squads (making them 10 strong). However, this leaves me 4 points over.

Maybe take Grenades off of a Tactical Squad that will stay shooting and add a little something to my Master then. What is usefull and costs 6 points? Mmm...Meltabombs.
    Last edited by The Doctor; August 20th, 2005 at 08:57. Reason: No reason to post two posts in a row.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast