My first 1000 point army VS tau. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

My first 1000 point army VS tau.

Okay. How about this 1000 pointer. 67 bodies and 2 tanks. 5 lascannons. 6 heavy bolters. 3 missile launchers. 2 battlecannons. I'm a little worried there might not be enough anti-infantry in here, but I guess we'll see.

----HQ---- (290)
    JO w/his bodyguards and HI for the leadership.(65)
    2 anti-tank squads w/ 3 lascannons and 3 missile launchers both with sharpshooters.(225)

----Troops---- (380)
    platoon 1.
    w/ regular JO (40)
    w/ 2 inf squads each with a Heavy Bolter and a vox (?)
    platoon 2.
    w/ regular JO (40)
    w/ 2 inf squads each with a Heavy Bolter and a vox (?)

----Heavy Support---- (330)
    Leman Russ w/ hull lascannon and Heavy Bolter sponsons (165)
    Leman Russ w/ hull lascannon and Heavy Bolter sponsons (165)

I'm pretty light on fancy gear and doctrines in favor of more points, and I hope it won't come back to bite me in the ass. I know I'll be playing Tau often, as it is my friend's army. I know for sure he has 2 Broadsides and a Hammerhead. I guess I'm going to try to out-armor his armor. Scare him a little with my tanks while my anti-tank squads shoot him up. Hopefully I'll be able to take care of his anti-armor before he can take my tanks out.. in which case my tanks can greatly help the lack of heavy bolters with their sponsons or just plain old battlecannons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually taking two russes against any army would be good but not against the pesky Tau IF you don't get first turn It's most likely his mobility and high strength weaponry will make mincemeat of these two, If you want to make a list for the tau two basilisks will do a much better job hopefully hiding away from his hammerheads broadsides etc. With the points saved I'd maybe go for a five man Vet or stormie squad with plasmas or meltas for his bouncing suits. Fitting In plasma into your line sqauds would be nice but Im not to sure where the 40 odd points would come from?
    FLAME ON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

With your relatively small numbers (overall, for a 1,000 point list you're doing fine), you could probably dispense with the vox-casters and just rely on the officers' leadership radius. That would save you twenty points, and you can save another twenty by using hull-mounted heavy bolters rather than lascannons. Your Lemans don't really contribute any effective anti-tank firepower configured like that anyway, so you might as well save points and add to your anti-infantry firepower. That way even if you lose the battle cannon, you've still got an armored and mobile fire support squad to wreak havoc. And those 4 points will purchase a plasma gun for each of your infantry squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x1)

I'd like to replace the Russ lascannons with heavy bolters.. but I don't know if I have any bolters to spare. I suppose I could dig around.. and see if I can do any conversion work.. What's the radius of the leadership on those.. um.. guys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x1)

Okay, I just played this list against my Tau friend. He fielded 24 Firewarriors, his Crisis Suit BS5 HQ dude, a team of 3 more Crisis Suits, 2 Broadsides, a Hammerhead, and 3 to 5 stealthsuits. It's funny. I don't quite recall the exact number of stealth suits even though they caused me the most trouble. I feel that the only thing that really raped me were the stealth suits... all to a silly rule mistake. My friend didn't bring his rulebook, so we weren't sure on the night fighting rules. He said I roll 3D6 to see how far my units can see when attacking his stealth suits.. Yeah.. Bull****. We played without any cover too. They just sat 18 inches infront of my lines and ripped everything to hell. The only time I tried to shoot at them I rolled a 1 a 2 and another 2. Awesome. Now that I know the real night fighting rules I will punch my friend in the face. I also rolled an awesome three 1's with my lascannon team. That was truly something. Then my Russ lascannon shoots and lands literaly like a tenth of an inch infront of his Hammerhead and he didn't give it to me. Lots of unlucky rolls, but I still did fine. My heavy bolters pretty much made mincemeat out of his firewarriors, my heavy weapons anihilated his Crisis team (no cover), and my Russ' tied up all of his anti armor. Oh yes, and his HQ Crisis had to be shot twice with a lascannon team because we forgot that he was suppose to be instakilled the first time. One question. My battlecannon fires at his Hammerhead and scatters an inch or two so the center hole is still clearly covering the tank's engine. Is that a partial hit or what? We rolled on it and he got his way and the shot didn't do anything. But the model IS still under the hole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePorcupine
    One question. My battlecannon fires at his Hammerhead and scatters an inch or two so the center hole is still clearly covering the tank's engine. Is that a partial hit or what? We rolled on it and he got his way and the shot didn't do anything. But the model IS still under the hole.
    That is a complete hit. As long as the center of the template is on a part of a tank, it is full strength. Roll 2D6 and pick the best for penetration.

Noticing your list, I would do a couple of things. Add a mortar to your each of your platoon command squads. It will help with Crisis and Stealth suits.

Change the missle Launcher squad to another Lascannon Squad, or have a DS Stormie Suicide Squad with 2 Plasma Guns. I find these great for Broadsides.

In an army like this I would drop the Vox and have Iron Discipline with the JOs. Saves points and is effective as long as you use leadership bubbles.

I would definatly Mod your Lemans to have 3 HBs. When you have a 3 to 5 Tau left. I would shoot those instead of the Ordinance.

You might not have the model, but my next purchase would be a Basilisk. They love Tau, Usually immune to Railguns, and even better at anti-tank.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x1)

I have a Basilisk just waiting for me to paint it. But I think it would have problems on an area with no terrain to protect it. And how is it better at anti-tank?.. doesn't it automatically scatter or something? I need clarification on those rules. I also have a Griffon mortar tank but I can't find the rules for it anywhere. I have the IG codex and the Imperial Armor codex but none of them have it. Where can I find the stats on that bad boy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePorcupine
    I have a Basilisk just waiting for me to paint it. But I think it would have problems on an area with no terrain to protect it. And how is it better at anti-tank?.. doesn't it automatically scatter or something? I need clarification on those rules. I also have a Griffon mortar tank but I can't find the rules for it anywhere. I have the IG codex and the Imperial Armor codex but none of them have it. Where can I find the stats on that bad boy?
    It is S9 vs S8, better for tanks. You definatly need to get cover. Most games should be 25% cover on the field.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

+ Reply to Thread