[1000] DIY chapter, casual play - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x2)

[1000] DIY chapter, casual play

Here's a 1000 pt list for my own chapter, the Star Dragons (I'll put more info on them up when I have the time). It's a casual play list; no tournaments for me yet

Anyway, look it over, and tell me what you think.

Chapter traits:
    Advantages:
    Take the fight to them : Tactical squad marines may replace bolters for boltpistol / CCW
    No mercy, no respite: tactical squads and assult squads may take Furious Assult

Drawback:
    Die standing: May not use Drop Pods

HQ

Captain 135 pts
    Plasma pistol
    Power weapon
    Artificer armor
    Iron Halo

Troops

Tactical squad 220 pts
    10 man squad
    Furious assault
    Vet. Sergeant
    Power fist
    Meltagun

Tactical squad 120 pts
    6 man squad
    Plasmagun
    Plasma cannon

Razorback 78 pts
    Smoke launchers
    Extra Armor

Fast attack:

Assult squad 300 pts
    10 man squad
    Vet. Sergeant
    Power fist
    Melta bombs
    2x plasma pistol
    Furious assult

Heavy support:

Predator annihilator: 148 pts
    H. Bolter sponsons
    Smoke launchers
    Extra Armor
    Storm bolter

Total: 1001 pts.

"I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more..."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue-Angel
    Captain 135 pts
    Plasma pistol
    Power weapon
    Artificer armor
    Iron Halo
    Considering the rest of your list, you would be far better off with a chaplain as oposed to a commander as is usually the case in games this size. Most certainly with a jump pack so he can be attached to the assault squad. Secondly, both the plasma pistol and the artificer armor are totally unecessary. First off, the plasma pistol is a costly bit of equipment for an IC. When you add in the fact that he could suffer wounds from it, it becomes non cost effective. The artificer armor is redundant. Your IC should be attached to a squad and as such will obviously not be taking any shooting attacks until the rest of the squad is decemated. In close combat, what you truly have to fear is attacks that ignore armor saves and obviously a 2+ does you no better in this case then a 3+. Thats a lot of points to spend for something that really isnt all that handy.

Tactical squad 220 pts
    10 man squad
    Furious assault
    Vet. Sergeant
    Power fist
    Meltagun
    This is a great squad. Would be even better if it had a drop pod. Too bad you took die standing. Still I wouldnt change anything else on it.

Tactical squad 120 pts
    6 man squad
    Plasmagun
    Plasma cannon
    Good fire support squad. Doesnt really work well with the rest of your list. Ill explain at the end.

Razorback 78 pts
    Smoke launchers
    Extra Armor
    I assume you will be deploying this and the plasma squad seperately. I hope you do, otherwise the plasma squad will be wasted.

Assult squad 300 pts
    10 man squad
    Vet. Sergeant
    Power fist
    Melta bombs
    2x plasma pistol
    Furious assult
    I would drop the melta bombs here. This squad is so good at killing infantry, you dont want to bother diverting them to a tank. Your razorback and predator should be able to handle those and if not I would send the melta gun in the tactical squad after a tank before this assault squad. Especially once you add the chaplain.

Predator annihilator: 148 pts
    H. Bolter sponsons
    Smoke launchers
    Extra Armor
    Storm bolter
    No need of the storm bolter. Thats a lot of points for 2 bolter shots. Aside from that the pred is good.

All in all your army does not work well together. It is not built to support itself as you have fast units, units that sit in the deployment zone and units that march up the playing field. This will split up your force and make it far to easy for a maneuverable army to get the better of you. You did do very well with unit composition however. I applaud you for that. I would decide where you want to fight your battles and go from there. Either you will let the oponent come to you, or you will go to him. Once you decide that, you will be better equipped to build an army that can support itself properly.

Cheers Mate!
    Chaosbrynn
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosbrynn
    Considering the rest of your list, you would be far better off with a chaplain as oposed to a commander as is usually the case in games this size.
    That's the third time someone sais that about an army list... I'll definately be sure to pick one up today. I usually take a captain as I like the LD bonus, but with veteran sergeants a captain is indeed redundant, so I'll pick up a chaplain instead .

This is a great squad. Would be even better if it had a drop pod. Too bad you took die standing. Still I wouldnt change anything else on it.
    The reason for this is that you still can't assult from a drop pod - they'll be shot at either way, and this way I can still make use of terrain. I'll consider it though; I might switch to 'We stand alone' if it proves to work better

I assume you will be deploying the razorback and the plasma squad seperately. I hope you do, otherwise the plasma squad will be wasted.
    That wasn't the plan, but I'll take them both out and add another CC squad...

I would drop the melta bombs here. This squad is so good at killing infantry, you dont want to bother diverting them to a tank. Your razorback and predator should be able to handle those and if not I would send the melta gun in the tactical squad after a tank before this assault squad. Especially once you add the chaplain.
    I hear ya. The meltabombs are coming off - saves me some points for the second tactical squad

Thanks for pointing it out so clearly - I've never been very good at making lists, but nobody ever told me just what was wrong with it.
    Here's the edited list, version 1.1

Chapter traits:
    Advantages:
    Take the fight to them : Tactical squad marines may replace bolters for boltpistol / CCW
    No mercy, no respite: tactical squads and assult squads may take Furious Assult

Drawback:
    Die standing: May not use Drop Pods

HQ

Master of Sanctity 120 pts
    Jump pack

Troops

Tactical squad 220 pts
    10 man squad
    Furious assault
    Vet. Sergeant
    Power fist
    Meltagun

Tactical squad 220 pts
    10 man squad
    Furious assault
    Vet. Sergeant
    Power fist
    Meltagun

Fast attack:

Assult squad 300 pts
    10 man squad
    Vet. Sergeant
    Power fist
    Melta bombs
    2x plasma pistol
    Furious assult

Heavy support:

Predator annihilator: 138 pts
    H. Bolter sponsons
    Smoke launchers
    Extra Armor

Total: 998 pts.
    Last edited by Rogue-Angel; September 2nd, 2005 at 09:07.
    "I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

That's the third time someone sais that about an army list... I'll definately be sure to pick one up today. I usually take a captain as I like the LD bonus, but with veteran sergeants a captain is indeed redundant, so I'll pick up a chaplain instead .
    Chaplains are really the best bang for buck of the SM hq's right now. You shoudl DEFINATELY have one on hand.

The reason for this is that you still can't assult from a drop pod - they'll be shot at either way, and this way I can still make use of terrain. I'll consider it though; I might switch to 'We stand alone' if it proves to work better
    Thats the beaty of a drop pod though. Because you can get out on any side, you can put the pod between you and whaveter weapon will hurt you the most. Dro ppods block LOS. So between that and the fact that they dont have the option of firing at you while you move up the board, they make for fantastic transports. I would consider trying them so you can see how well they protect the squad they are delivering. Remember to check the drop pod rules as they are not subject to a couple of the drawbackas of deepstriking.

Thanks for pointing it out so clearly - I've never been very good at making lists, but nobody ever told me just what was wrong with it.
    No problem, thats what im here for.

Master of Sanctity 120 pts
    Jump pack
    Bolt pistol! Terminator Honors! thats 2 extra attacks!!

Tactical squad 220 pts
    10 man squad
    Furious assault
    Vet. Sergeant
    Power fist
    Meltagun

Tactical squad 220 pts
    10 man squad
    Furious assault
    Vet. Sergeant
    Power fist
    Meltagun
    Gorgeous. I assume they have bolt pistols and close combat weapons.

Assult squad 300 pts
    10 man squad
    Vet. Sergeant
    Power fist
    Melta bombs
    2x plasma pistol
    Furious assult
    Drop the melta bombs. Really. Were gonna need to free up some points for a dev squad instead of the pred.

Predator annihilator: 138 pts
    H. Bolter sponsons
    Smoke launchers
    Extra Armor
    As your only vehicle, this is extremely vulnerable. I would drop it. Between that and the meltabombs weve freed up 158 points. I would then remove 1 marine from each of the tactical squads. That makes 188 points. We now have enough points for a 7 man devastator squad with 4 missile launchers. They are far more durable then the predator and have a much higher volume of high strength fire power, witch you sorely need.

With the Dev squad in place, you want to force your oponent to fight the battle in its LOS. Your other 3 squads WILL trample anything in close combat, they are quite strong. What you need to do is make sure you can take out your oponents armor with the dev squad. With the dev squad added this will be a very formidable list. Good job.

Cheers Mate!
    Chaosbrynn
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

+ Reply to Thread