1000 pts Drop Troop me too! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

1000 pts Drop Troop me too!

I was impressed with Sokhars Drop Trooping list that I had to come up with one of my own again.

Doctorines: Close Order Drill, Storm Troopers, Drop Troops, Special Weapon Squads.

HQ: J.O. 3 Melta - Guns. Bolt Pistol

Special Weapon Squad: One Demo-charge.

Three Squads of 10 Stormies with Vet SGT w/Power Weapon. 2 squads with 2 Plasma, one squad with 2 Meltas.

Platoon #1: Command w/4 Flamers, one Bolter. Two Squads of 10 men each with one
    Grenade Launchers and Vet Sgt.

Platoon #2: Command Squad with two Meltas, Two Squads of 10 men each with one Plasma Gun.

1000 pts. I love Stormies, so I had to take the full squads.

On each turn I like to drop the troops into one area and try and finish off one enemy squad at a time. Also the return fire can only usually be on one squad.

"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Not bad, glad I inspired you....after Krossfire inspired me. Setting off quite a chain reaction, isn't he?

I think the three squads of 10-man stormies is costing you quite a bit, so I have to question their effectiveness (and that of the power weapon included with them). I guess their AP 5 hellguns could help against hordes, but it seems like you're missing out on additional special weapons (or another demo charge) just to accomodate more elite grunts into your force.

Of course I saw your post elsewhere about having fought with a drop troop list before, so maybe you know more about it than I do. So if I'm wrong, feel free to tell me how the Stormies work out, I'm curious to hear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sokhar
    I think the three squads of 10-man stormies is costing you quite a bit, so I have to question their effectiveness (and that of the power weapon included with them). I guess their AP 5 hellguns could help against hordes, but it seems like you're missing out on additional special weapons (or another demo charge) just to accomodate more elite grunts into your force.
    The guys to drop within enemy rapidfirerange should absolutely have Armour 4+ ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Sokhar
    Not bad, glad I inspired you....after Krossfire inspired me. Setting off quite a chain reaction, isn't he?

Of course I saw your post elsewhere about having fought with a drop troop list before, so maybe you know more about it than I do. So if I'm wrong, feel free to tell me how the Stormies work out, I'm curious to hear.

Yes, way to go Krossfire! One thing about these lists, is they are really fun to play.

As far as Stormies go, I find the full squads last longer, and keep the special weapons fireing longer. The power sword is only 5pts, and usually I get assaulted and the 3 attacks usually take someone down. The other thing is a Stormies Squad can tie up a Tach/Devastator Squad in CC, and keep them from fireing. Free Frag Grenades!

The Demo charge is for fun, and I had the extra points, but my experience with these hasn't been good. It is a double scatter; deep strike scatter, Demo charge scatter, almost never works out, but I can't wait for it to work on a Termie unit!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

144 (x3)

The guys to drop within enemy rapidfirerange should absolutely have Armour 4+ ....
    Why? So they're more survivable? They're Imperial Guard falling out of the sky into close quarters battle with the enemy. That proposition by its nature is suicidal. Plus every 3 carapace armored models costs the same as 4 normal ones. So you cut your manpower by 25-30%. Which also means that your firepower decreases. And mass firepower is the only thing that makes drop troops a workable concept. So, by all means, tell me why I should trade away the equivalent of two special weapons per squad, just so they can be carapace armored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's always nice to have groupies .

Now, on to the serious stuff.

Three Squads of 10 Stormies with Vet SGT w/Power Weapon. 2 squads with 2 Plasma, one squad with 2 Meltas.
    Try dropping some of the stormies to regular size squads, about 5-6 should be enough to preserve the special weapons. I do realise that whole squads would preserve them better, but as sokhar said its qauntity over quality, and when playing with guard, quantity always wins. By dropping some of the stormies you'll be able to afford storm bolters to your vet sgts in your infantry squads, or at least regular bolters. This helps boost thier firepower and with a storm bolter, thier mobility as well.
    One another note, I don't like the idea of the power weapon, personally i would try a storm bolter (or regular bolter) but if it helps you more often than not, take it.

Also with those extra points you might try putting some other special weapons in the special weapon squad (after all, they were named that for a reason!) . You might also try fitting a sentinel (of either type) and adding an improved comms to them.

Overall however the list looks very good and I wish you many victories.
    People who say they don't let little things bother them have never slept in a room with a single mosquito.

I need Recruits!

Become a Vampire!

Become a Gangstah!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

144 (x3)

The Stormies might be a bit expensive for this particular list, but the more I think about them, the more virtue I see in them. One thing a drop troop list needs is crowd control, some good anti-infantry weaponry. Now admittedly strength 3 isn't the greatest in the world, but coupled with the Stormie's BS of 4 and the hellgun's AP of 5, a ten-man storm trooper squad rapid-firing into a brood of gaunts or ork mob could probably do some damage. However, this would have to come after neutralizing enemy armor or only be used against very significant horde targets in my list, where the Stormies do the main anti-tank duty.

+ Reply to Thread