[1500] Space Marine - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

[1500] Space Marine

I realised before I very rarely post my lists in the SM forum. So I decided to post my current 'typical' list for your perusal. Here are my current units I use and why.

Master of Sanctity - Bolt Pistol + Frag Nades + Jumppack 122pts

Typical lovely HQ choice, he goes in with the assault squad for the nasty re-rolls to hit.

Dreadnought - Assault Cannon + DCCW + Extra Armour 110pts

Dreadnought - Assault Cannon + DCCW + Extra Armour 110pts

Well, if your going to have a boil have a big one. I'm 'into' Dreads atm....and the pair gives me redunancy. With 2 Assault Cannons already, and the DCCW to make them both a scary assault foe, I feel I don't need any Landspeeder tornados with this list (let's be honest, any more Assault Cannons would start to be cheesy). I never take them without Extra Armour because it gives me that extra move I usually find saves me so often.

10 Man Tactical Squad - Powerfist Serg - 180pts

Some of you may ask 'where is the Missile Launchers/Meltas?' I myself am a bit of a purist. I find is if I'm arming them, I'm committing the squad to a role. If I take the Missile Launcher, I usually end up moving (or wanting to). If I take the melta, I don't end up moving or my opponent keeps anything worth shooting away from them. So I place my heavy weapons/assault cannons elsewhere and try and keep them simple. And the powerfists are there so they win any assaults they get tied up in (or any monstrous creatures try and take them).

9 Man Assault Squad - Powerfist Serg 228pts

Old reliable. With the Chaplain they usually take down most stuff on a good charge. I can't spare the points though for that last man or the Plasma Pistols. I'm not really a fan of the Plasma Pistols too much anyway....I'm only going to be assaulting anyway.

5 Man Devastator Squad - 4 Missile Launchers 155pts

Shamefully min/maxed........but I haven't the points to spare for any extra marines. Versatile, especially against nids.

Whirlwind Vengeance 85pts

Again, versatile and usually deadly. No extra armour on this as I'm counting on scenery to hide it.

Predator Annihalator - Lascannon Sponsons Extra Armour 150pts

My dedicated anti-tank unit. Always got to have Lascannons somewhere. Combined with my Devastators and Assault Cannons I've plenty of anti-tank.

Let me know what you think, and how it compares with your lists.

Last edited by Addoran; September 20th, 2005 at 04:58.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Really interesting tac squads. I would seriously consider dropping 2 marines from a tac squad to add to the dev squad. It doesn't seem like much, and it might pain you to only have 2 troops at full strength, but since you don't have 40% troops anyway I think it would be a wise choice. Think winning games, who cares what 'looks nice'.

Now, I think it would be the best 2p spent ever, dropping an assault marine to give them furious charge. For the balance, give the pred smoke launchers and have 1 power weapon. 1 10 man power weapon unit, and you have got yourself subtle differences that a good player can use to their advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so your tactical squads have to walk the whole table?? amybe use drop pods??
    i agree with the idea of increasing the devastator squad size...
    the rest looks good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like the list, especially the tactical squads which are cool.
    I suggest taking out a man from each squad for three extra men to the devs so they can absorb more fire

take the plasma pistols on the assault marines
    1 marine doesnt make much difference
    plasma pistols can be used to take out models in the enemy squad you plan to assault or take a wound off the evil hive tyrant and make life a bit easier for your veteran sergeant.

Dreadnoughts are fine, I like them advancing with tactical sqads your opponents wont be able to decide which to shoot then your assault marines launch their suprise attack and its one game to you

the predator is fine lascannons sponsons make a good anti tank unit
    the whirlwind is great

I think your list is set to deal with most army builds and is very versatile in shooting and cc.
    once more, i like the list
    if anyone finds avatar offensive just pm and i will change it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Nicely balanced List, the way a half company is meant to be played.

Chaplain led assault squad, cool the shear number of S4 hits it inflicts is impressive. I dont know about the lack of Plasma, I play a 5 man squad with 3 pistols and a fist, its more of a hard hit on selected target squad, plus its smaller size makes it sneakier, Big squads cant hide behind terrain features as well.

Just a matter of personal preferance though. Its not the size its the way that you use it.

Dreadnoughts are excellant, I fell in love after seeing the opening sequence of DoW where the Dreadnought blitz's and entire hill with huge rounds. Mine costs over 150pts, but its venerable with a TLLC. I envy your cheaper ones.

The Tacticals seemed a bit strange at first, but then Tau have to do that dont they? using support units for selective firepower is much more rewarding.

You say your Devastators are versatile v's Nidz, do alot of players near you not play with extended carapace/warp field otherise Heavy bolters or lascannon, I have made my opinions on ML Devs clear elsewhere though whatever works for you.

I use a Whirlwind, it never kills a great deal but squishes something vital once in a while and rarely dies.
    An Anhialator with Lascannon sponsons? cool lots of lascannon for less points than a LR and if you deploy it properly having less firepower than a Heavy bolter one on the move isnt a problem. I am in the Lascannon sponson camp after sitting shooting my TLLC at Tanks and wasting my H.Bolters for God Knows how long.

My list has more plasma Tacticals, 1 Dread a Vindicator instead of a Preadoator, Terminators and LST's instead of Devastators. It really shouldnt work say my friends, somehow it does.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

ok chaplain is should have terminator hounours. heavy bolter sponsons. also the chaplain is wrong points. hmm there is nothing wrong with this list. its too slow for me i would like to see how it plays. this list would be tough to play tau with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Doom
    You say your Devastators are versatile v's Nidz, do alot of players near you not play with extended carapace/warp field
    For some reason a lot of the nids players round here have gone nuts for Broodlord/Genestealer heavy armies, backed up with gaunts, warriors and with things like Raveners+Lictors deepstriking. So far I've been loving the amount of templates they give out, or the ability to splat anything which foolishly strays out of synapse. When I do run across something +2 save, my Lascannon predator usually does at least 2 wounds to it per turn.

Quote Originally Posted by librarian augustine
    heavy bolter sponsons
    No, I am very pro-lascannon predator, (though not militantly so), so I'll never write a list without all 3 slots on either lascannon or autocannon/heavy bolter.

Loads of reasons why, e.g.

1/ Against AV14, a single lascannon doesn't cut it.
    2/ When you get weapon destroyed, your going to be losing all the vehicle's anti-tank capability.
    3/ Your splitting the effectiveness of the shooting. Mixing a Devastator squad with Heavy Bolters and Lascannons would be an exercise in stupidity, you shoot the Heavy Bolters and the Lascannon is wasted/vice versa. Why is it not the case on a Predator?
    4/ The arguement is that if you move 6", you can still fire all weapons. I generally regard my heavy weapons as a static firebase i.e I don't want to move them that much. If something is pressuring them I will probably need to move them >6" anyway to get behind cover!

etc.

Anyway.....I've been very successful with this list shall we say, it's got a proven track record (even against Tau I've been defeated by Tau like once in 10+ games).
    Last edited by Addoran; September 20th, 2005 at 07:36.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Of course it does well mate, it's a good list. We just all think that a pred is better with 6" movement over stationary and that more guys in the dev squad is more important than 3 full tac squads.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x5)

lol Don't mistake my reply as a 'stubborn resistance to change', the increasing of the Devastators is a good idea. I was just merely airing my opinion on why I don't like the whole "Twin-linked Lascannon + Heavy Bolter Sponsons" Predator fad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I like the list but am afraid that all those tacticals are just slugging all the time. What is your general game plan? Just staying in the back and firing or slowly advancing? And how do you make sure you are going to get the objectives?

Greetings.

One who asks a questions seems stupid for a while, one who does not is stupid for a long time.
    Old Chinese saying

+ Reply to Thread