SM army under construction (1500) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SM army under construction (1500)

New Space Marine army under construction.
    his is the list of what I have planned to get in my new 1500pts army.
    HQ/
    Chaplain MoS; P Pistol; PF [140]

Troops/
    9 Marines; MM; HB; VetF [180]
    Rhino; smoke [53]

10 Marines MM; HB Vet: PF [195]
    Rhino; Smoke [53]

6 Marines; ML [100]
    Razorback; Smoke [73]

Fast Attack/
    3 Tornadoes [240]

4 Scout Bikers; MB [108]

Heavy Support/
    6 Devastators; 2 ML [130]
    Razorback; LC; Smoke [93]

Annihilator; HB; Smoke [133]

And thats all, 1498 pts.

Any comments?? Should I use any traits?? Thinking about equiping the caplain led rhino squad cs & bp, using the "take the fight to them" trait, wrong??
    I think this can be a well balanced army. But what do I know im not a pro.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd skip out on the PF with the chappy. You don't want him going last and his crozius is powerful enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Yeah, what Belial said. No sense in putting a PF on a chaplain and wasting that great initative.

I'd definitely think about some traits if I were you. I use "See but don't be seen" and it comes in espeically handy with devastator squads. Setting them up 18" away from your enemy may not seem all that useful with a unit that is there to shoot stuff, but the best thing is that you can deploy them AFTER your opponent deploys all of his stuff, so you can set them up to best take advantage of firing lanes and cut off "roads" where he'll be driving vehicles or marching troops.

Taking See But Don't Be Seen would also get you infiltration on your tac squads there so you wouldn't have to buy the rhinos and the razorbacks unless you just wanted to. It may sound really cheap, but that was part of the reason I took the skill- I'm on a limited budget and footslogging isn't my idea of a great time, so instead of buying rhinos, I took the See But Don't Be Seen.

One thing you're going to want to take into account if you go this route though is using tanks like the annihilator. Me personally, the thing I have to be REALLY careful of when deploying those infiltrator squads is not spreading my stuff out too much. The last list I played I had too much stuff up front that I couldn't support with my preds, and by the time they rolled up, it was too late. I made a new list I'm going to try out this weekend that is all infiltrators and 3 LSTs. Should be interesting.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

Well you came to the right place, lets see what youve got.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord|Oridus
    Chaplain MoS; P Pistol; PF [140]
    Big nono. First off, the plasma pistol need only be a bolt pistol. It is both expensive and dangerous. A bolt pistol will save you points and still afford you a decent shooting attack as well as the extra close combat attack. Next, that powerfist has to go. Powerfists on independant characters is a great way to get them killed. You see, IC's actually fight whatever models are in base to base with them, so, when charged your oponent could easily place a power weapon wielding character in base to base with your chaplain (or more, or even deadlier close combat threats) and kill him before he ever gets a chance to use that powerfist. Secondly, ours HQ's have the best initiative out of all of our models, no sense in wasting it. Lastly, he comes with a power weapon included in his point cost, no sense wasting it. Leave powerfists for veteran sergeants where they cant be singled out. He should also most certainly have terminator honours for the extra attack.

As far as chaplains go, consider an assault squad. They make the best use of his litanies ability as they have the proper weapons for it and more importantly, have the extra movement range to allow them and your chappie to deal with more squads in a shorter time. Chaplain led assault squads are one of, if not the most effective unit for their point cost.

Troops/
    9 Marines; MM; HB; VetF [180]
    Rhino; smoke [53]

10 Marines MM; HB Vet: PF [195]
    Rhino; Smoke [53]
    Ok, from what youve written you seem to have a multi-melta and a heavy bolter in this squad. thats 2 heavy weapons and you are only allowed one. If you ment melta gun, thats at least legal, but in that case I would drop the heavy bolter.

IMHO Rhinos are rolling coffins. They are possibly the absolute worst transport in the game. I would stay away from them. Drop pods are infinately more useful and safer.

6 Marines; ML [100]
    Razorback; Smoke [73]
    Change the missile launcher to a lascannon. They are best bought in tacticals due to their reduced point cost as oposed to other places in the codex. They are also far more useful then missile launchers. I would honestly drop the razorback, they are no harder to destroy then a rhino, but cost more points.

Fast Attack/
    3 Tornadoes [240]
    Cant ever go wrong with these.

4 Scout Bikers; MB [108]
    If you are playing standard missions these are a great unit as they can attain a first turn charge. If you arent playing with standard deployment, then they are pretty much useless.

Heavy Support/
    6 Devastators; 2 ML [130]
    Razorback; LC; Smoke [93]
    Drop the razorback. Go with 8 marines and 4 missile launchers.

Annihilator; HB; Smoke [133]
    Fine, but your missing extra armor witch is a must have.

Should I use any traits??
    Honestly yes, for the type of list you seem to be trying to build cleanse and purify would do you good. This will allow you to use the following tactical squads witch are incredibly powerful and point effective and will work well with your list:

10 marines, 2 melta-guns, powerfisted sergeant, drop pod.

I would drop all the tactical squads you have on the list and replace them with as many of these as you can after putting together an assault squad for the chaplain and maxing out the dev squad. These squads are designed to drop in (using a drop pod to do it safely and more accurately) and use the meltas to pop a target. The squad then runs around firing the melta guns (witch are assualt weapons) and then assaulting with the powerfist. These squads are both effective and durable and would form a great backbone for your army.

Thinking about equiping the caplain led rhino squad cs & bp, using the "take the fight to them" trait, wrong????
    Thats the right taright but definately the wrong thing to use. close combat squads and rhinos dont mix. Aside from the fact that the rhino will be destroyed, causing huits on your marines and then entangling them for a round, you can not charge out of the rhino. This leaves you with a very vulnerable transport not ment to do the job you want.

You would be much better off with a 10 man assault squad to accompany your chaplain. They already have the Bp + Ccw's, have a 12" movement range to help you get to the assault faster and negotiate terrain better and can have 2 plasma pistols added to the squad for less then you payed for the single plasma pistol on your HQ.

I think this can be a well balanced army. But what do I know im not a pro.
    Currently, I dont feel it to be a well balanced army. But, your close, consider the following:

HQ/
    Chaplain Reclusiarch; B Pistol; Jump pack; terminator honors; frags [122] - attaches to assault squad.

Troops/
    10 marines
    Powerfisted sergeant
    2 x Melta gun
    Drop pod
    [230]

10 marines
    Powerfisted sergeant
    2 x Melta gun
    Drop pod
    [230]

Fast Attack/
    2 Tornadoes [160]
    AC + HB

2 Tornadoes [160]
    AC + HB

Assault squad
    10 assault marines
    2 plasma pistols
    Powerfisted sergeant
    [260]

Heavy Support/
    8 Devastators; 4 ML [200]

Annihilator; HB; Smoke; extra armor [138]

This list gives you a good starting force of a very powerful assault unit (chaplain led assault squad) 2 very mobile fire support units (the 2 lst squads), and a very nice ammount of heavy fire from the devastators and the predator. This alone truthfully would be enough for may players to take on a 1500 point list. But, in addition to this, you have 2 very durable squads, able to take on any unit in the game between the melta guns, powerfist and many bolter shots that can be reliably placed anywhere on the table to offer support where you need it most. Even the 2 pods themselves are useful for blocking los to your other units. The most important part however, as your are building a list for the first time, no matter how long you play space marines, you will never regret buying this list or modelling them this way.

Cheers Mate!
    Chaosbrynn
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Brynn.
    i shall consider your list.
    Buy the way the Marine squads should be at 235 pts since u can replace a lascannon with a PG or MG.

Can se tha u like speeders

Thanks!
    Don´t play with fire, play with Bolters

+ Reply to Thread