Newbie - Whats my list worth? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie - Whats my list worth?

hey guys

ive been reading some of the great advice and lists so thanks to those people who let us in on the good stuff
    i havent played 40k since the 2nd edition (i think) so im still getting a handle on the new rules. I used to collect Harlequins, space wolves, undead in warhammer, elves in blood bowl and marines in epic 40k. all those models are gone now and all i had left was my paints

what i never did but always wanted to do was collect marines in 40k, so i started buying some boxes a few weeks back and painting a classic ultramarine army.

I havent bought the rulebook or the marines codex yet. all ive done is paint some glorious ultramarines :tongue: :yes: so i dont know what its worth so far. can someone tell me what this is worth?

10 man tactical squad - plasma gun and missile launcher

(i stuck a poweraxe on the sargent, dont know if this is legal or a good idea but i havent painted him yet so pls let me know :rolleyes: )

5 man assault squad with jetpacks - 2 plasma pistols - sarg with powerfist and shield

(i gave one a powersword, but sounds illegal - and i gave the sarg the shield cos it looks cool :tongue: )

5 man terminator squad - cyclone launcher + assault cannon

(the sarg i ditched the power sword and just gave him a cool-looking fist, was this wrong?)

by the sounds of the advice on here i need 5 more assault guys and a chaplain :yes:

then ill just get another tactical box and a devastator box so i can mix things up

im not going to buy any armour or vehicles until ive played some games....

cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Aether
    10 man tactical squad - plasma gun and missile launcher

(i stuck a poweraxe on the sargent, dont know if this is legal or a good idea but i havent painted him yet so pls let me know :rolleyes: )
    For a fire support tactical squad, I suggest a 6 man squad with plasma gun and lascannon. The Power Axe is legal, if you count the sergeant as a veteran sergeant but not such a good idea for a fire support squad. I suggest getting 6 more marines, one with a melta gun. Then you will have a 6 man FS squad and a 10 man CC squad. Power Fists are also better than Power Weapons for CC squad sergeants, but if you haven't any :shrug:. Those two squads cost 285 points altogether. Most games you would play require 2 or more squads which are either tactical or scout squads.

5 man assault squad with jetpacks - 2 plasma pistols - sarg with powerfist and shield

(i gave one a powersword, but sounds illegal - and i gave the sarg the shield cos it looks cool :tongue: )
    Yes, this needs more models. I'd suggest taking it up to 8 models for an approximately 1000 point army. There are also two types of shield available, but the sergeant is the only model allowed to take a power weapon/power fist (you shouldn't have any problems getting the power sword counted as an ordinary close combat weapon though). With 8 models and a storm shield, this unit costs 226 points, that takes the total to 511 points.

5 man terminator squad - cyclone launcher + assault cannon

(the sarg i ditched the power sword and just gave him a cool-looking fist, was this wrong?)
    Expensive, but take them if you must. I would give the serge his sword back, there are enough high strength attacks in the rest of the squad, he is usful for the initiative attacks. This squad costs 245 points with a power sword on the sergeant, 260 points with a fist. With a sword, this takes the total to 756 points.

by the sounds of the advice on here i need 5 more assault guys and a chaplain :yes:

then ill just get another tactical box and a devastator box so i can mix things up

im not going to buy any armour or vehicles until ive played some games....

cheers!
    Yeah, I would get a jump pack chaplain for this army, say 150 odd points for him. Total points around 900, which leaves enough for a few attack bikes or land speeders. I would strongly suggest leaving the terminators till a 1,500 point army though, and getting an extra few tacitcal squads.
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Do you have the codex? If you make a proper army list say 1750-2000 points it is a good thing to work toward. also then we can tell you what units will suit and help your armylist as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nah i dont have the codex yet. gonna go have a read at lunch. for now im painting my ass off. my list will be as follows in a few weeks:

3 x 6 man tactical squad - lascannon + plasma gun

(how much are these each?)

10 man assault squad - vet sarg with powerfist + shield, 2 plasma pistols,
    chaplain with assault squad

8 man devastator squad - 4 missile launchers.

4 man terminator HQ - assault cannon + cyclone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

112 (x4)

All but the Terminators comes out to 950 odd points. And you cannot take a terminator Command Squad without a Terminator armoured Hero/Chaplain/Librarian. If you added one man to the terminator squad, it would be a valid elite choice and would take the army to 1,200 points. There isn't much point in telling you how much each squad will cost if you are going to be reading the codex after lunch.
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 (x4)

3 x 6 man tactical squad - lascannon + plasma gun
    These are good, especially since you're starting with them so early.

10 man assault squad - vet sarg with powerfist + shield, 2 plasma pistols,
    chaplain with assault squad
    I would just give the sergeant a bolt pistol instead of the shield, because he will get an extra attack and the Powerfist needs 'em.

8 man devastator squad - 4 missile launchers.
    Perfect.

4 man terminator HQ - assault cannon + cyclone
    I'm going to assume that this came from the Plastic Terminators box set. Firstly, you should have either 2 assault cannons or 2 Cyclones in a Termy squad. Since you already have a bunch of Lascannons, I would suggest 2 assault cannons.

Step 1: Take the plastic heavy flamer.
    Step 2: Cut the flamer nozzle off.
    Step 3: take 6 thin rods (maybe from thick paper clips) about the width of the assault cannon barrels.
    Step 4: Take a small ball of greenstuff (or clay or something with that sort of texture)
    Step 5: Put the 6 barrels around the ball of green stuff to make the assault cannon barrels.
    Step 6: Glue the 6 barrels into the ex-heavy flamer. You now have another assault cannon.

Compliments to DCawrest202 for the Assault cannon article. Any compliments should go to him.

Ahem, so you've got 5 Termies with 2 Assault cannons. If you want, you could put the axe that came with the Assault squad on the Sergeant because it looks really cool, and still counts as a power weapon.

That's a good start to a marine army. Now you just need some Land Speeder Tornados with assault cannons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but dont you guys see the benefit in the cyclone's range?

that pesky support tank in their deployment zone can be taken out in one hit, just move one termi out of cover first turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel1990
    These are good, especially since you're starting with them so early.

I would just give the sergeant a bolt pistol instead of the shield, because he will get an extra attack and the Powerfist needs 'em.

Perfect.

I'm going to assume that this came from the Plastic Terminators box set. Firstly, you should have either 2 assault cannons or 2 Cyclones in a Termy squad. Since you already have a bunch of Lascannons, I would suggest 2 assault cannons.

Step 1: Take the plastic heavy flamer.
    Step 2: Cut the flamer nozzle off.
    Step 3: take 6 thin rods (maybe from thick paper clips) about the width of the assault cannon barrels.
    Step 4: Take a small ball of greenstuff (or clay or something with that sort of texture)
    Step 5: Put the 6 barrels around the ball of green stuff to make the assault cannon barrels.
    Step 6: Glue the 6 barrels into the ex-heavy flamer. You now have another assault cannon.

Compliments to DCawrest202 for the Assault cannon article. Any compliments should go to him.

Ahem, so you've got 5 Termies with 2 Assault cannons. If you want, you could put the axe that came with the Assault squad on the Sergeant because it looks really cool, and still counts as a power weapon.

That's a good start to a marine army. Now you just need some Land Speeder Tornados with assault cannons.

Excellent.

Ok ill replace the sword with the axe cause the sword looks so drab.

i wanna try the cyclone out for a bit, see how it goes.

So far, these are definites:

3 x 6 man tactical squads- plasma guns + lascannons

8 man dev squad

(to complete this setup all i need is one more tactical squad box set + devastators) yaaaay :yes:

10 man assault squad + chaplain

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF CASSIUS IS WORTH BUYING OR JUST A NORMAL ONE?

5 man termie squad (chaplain holds teleport homer)

This comes to about 1250 - so im looking at a land raider crusader for flexibility + mobility :shifty: That would bring me up to 1500

i.e. i could mount one of the tactical squads in there or not, depending on the battle.

the assault squad can place the terminators in a nice safe place, ready to rain havoc once a weak spot is identified.

ANY CRITICISM WELCOME:w00t:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S.

That 1500 point army would equal 42 models + tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or perhaps i should swap the crusader for a termie assault squad?

the normal termies would sit with the devastators and support them. if the enemy force reaches them they can hold their own.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast