Tallarn Desert Raiders 400p Combat Patrol - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Tallarn Desert Raiders 400p Combat Patrol

Command Squad: Junior Officer with Storm Bolter and Trademark Item. Grenade Launcher.
    Doctrines: Sharpshooters, Light Infantry.
    73p

2x Infantry Squad: Veteran Sargenant, Missile Launcher, Plasma Guns.
    111p each.

Sentinel Squad. 2 Sentinels, Multi-Laser. 90p

Total: 385p, 25 modells.

As you may have noticed, I have 15p left do do something with, I cant decide though.
    I may go for the Hardned Fighters Doctrine for the Sentinels or upgrade my command squad a bit more, give me your thoughts.
    I based this combat patrol on their fluff. I wanted missile launchers and plasmas because its their favourite weapons.
    I think the Sentinels fit well in the fast stories about the Tallarns.
    The command squad got a grenade launcher because its explosive, just as missile launchers:tongue:
    And please, dont make that-weapon-is-better-than-that-posts because I strictly follow the fluff and will choose my weapons after that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Mighty Camel
    Command Squad: Junior Officer with Storm Bolter and Trademark Item. Grenade Launcher.
    73p

111p each.

Total: 385p, 25 modells.

As you may have noticed, I have 15p left do do something with, I cant decide though.
    I may go for the Hardned Fighters Doctrine for the Sentinels or upgrade my command squad a bit more, give me your thoughts.
    I based this combat patrol on their fluff. I wanted missile launchers and plasmas because its their favourite weapons.
    I think the Sentinels fit well in the fast stories about the Tallarns.
    The command squad got a grenade launcher because its explosive, just as missile launchers:tongue:
    And please, dont make that-weapon-is-better-than-that-posts because I strictly follow the fluff and will choose my weapons after that.
    Hej hej. :p

Well, if you say you've picked weapons after the fluff then what exactly are we supposed to say here? Since I'm not sure what kind of feedback you're after I'll just tear through your list my own way.

As for doctrines, not having my codex with me at the moment I don't really know what the default Tallaran are, but since you've only picked two doctrines I would really recommend Iron Discipline, it's one of those doctrines I would never go without. Yes. It's that awesome. :p

Sharpshooters looks okay on the paper, but in truth it's not that great. BoxANT was kind enough to do some counting on that for us in this post. If you'll look it through you might see that the points could be better used elsewhere. Of course, if you want it for fluff then go ahead. I myself would drop it though.

Light infantry is also a good doctrine, but it depends alot on how you use it. For instance, this is my typical HQ in 1500p or more:

Heroic Senior Officer
    - Laspistol/CCW
    - Iron Discipline
    Retinue
    - Veteran, Regimental Standard
    - Mortar
    - Light Infantry

Fire Support Squad
    - 3 Autocannons
    - Sharpshooters
    - Light Infantry

Anti-tank Support Squad
    - 3 Missile Launchers
    - Sharpshooters
    - Light Infantry

Also, the first command squad in my first platoon is also used for leadership support(More on that later)

Command Squad
    Junior Officer
    - Laspistol/CCW
    - Iron Discipline
    - Honorifica Imperialis
    Retinue
    - Mortar
    - Light Infantry

This is two of the times when Light Infantry really helps out. I don't care for sniper rifles or moving through terrain more easily, it's infiltration that I want. A good opponent will know that the command squads are the backbone for guard infantry because of their ability to pass on their leadership to all other squads within 12". Meaning that if the officer is to far away or dead your ld value falls dangerously low. Especially when you're under half strenght. Iron discipline helps alot here too.
    I like hiding my command squads, remember, you don't need LOS to pass on the officers leadership and it'll make it a lot harder for your opponent to kill your officers. Because I hide them I give them mortars so they can do some shooting, but I and most others agree, the damage your officers do is not with their weapons, they kill far more enemies by making sure that your grunts stand their ground and keep shooting. Anyways, since my command squads infiltrate my opponent won't know where they'll be and thus he will have trouble deploying the units he's going to send after your HQ. How you place your troops might give him a hint, but most guard armies probably have 2-3 heavy support choices to deploy first, so it'll take some time before he can make out a pattern in your deployment. Since they infiltrate, they can be anywhere.

Same with the support squads, who add alot of firepower to one area of a fireline, since they infiltrate, they can deploy where they're needed the most, after your opponent have deployed his things. I put them where I think they'll do the most hurt, within 12" of an officer if possible. *ahem* Back to your list... >_>

I'm not to fond of giving LI to regular squads, what exactly are you planning to do with your squads or do you just have it for fluffy reasons? I say drop it.

Enough about the doctrines. Lets move on to your list. First, the Command Squad.

Command Squad: Junior Officer with Storm Bolter and Trademark Item. Grenade Launcher. Doctrines: Sharpshooters, Light Infantry. 73p

If you ask me, you're using way to much wargear. Stormbolters aren't that great on a model with the BS of a guardsman, it's just not worth the points to me. I'd drop this one too. Trademark Items are only usefull for one thing if you ask me, and that's on an independent commisar leading a horde of conscripts. ld10 reroll on a mob of conscripts ain't bad. But on the officer I don't see much use for it. A five man squad would have to take a ld test after two dead and another at -1 after three dead. I'd suggest a Junior officer with Iron Discipline, laspistol and close combat weapon and a heavy bolter for the retinue. Deploy them so only the heavy bolter guys are visible, their deaths won't be enough to give your opponent any victory points and your officer will be alive to keep the others fighting.
    Grenade launchers are fun, I like them, but i'd rather not use them in my command squads.
    Sharpshooters on such a small unit is a complete waste to me, but since you didn't post any fluff I have no idea if you gave them SS for fluff or gamewise reasons. If the latter then I say drop it... and LI to while you're at it. Numbers are very important in combat patrol missions.

So, with the 15p you had to spare, following my suggestions you should have 43 points more to spend on numbers. Moving on to your squads.

I'd have to quote BoxANT again here, he's got a guideline saying that no guard infantry squad should cost more than 85p. I myself draw the line at 90p, but that's only because I sometimes use vox casters.

Doctrines: Sharpshooters, Light Infantry. 111p each.

If you use your officer for leadership then you won't need any veteran sergeants. That should give you 85p. That's almost another squad of guardsmen. Remember, high numbers is very fluffy for Guard armies.

I suggest dropping one sentinel to free up a total of 88p, then use those points on another squad of guardsmen. 10 man with a missile and a grenade launcher comes to 83p, so that's five points left over. I'd switch the Multi-laser sentinel for an Autocannon one, because I love autocannons.

Total: 400p, 34 models.

Since you wanted a fluffy army you should drop the plasmaguns. They're supposed to be very very rare, not something found in in a small patrolforce of Tallarans. If you do then I'd drop the sentinel aswell, a small squad of Rough Riders or another 10 guardsmen are much better choice for a fluffy tallaran list.
    Last edited by Kaiser; October 7th, 2005 at 13:00.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

En svensk :tongue:

Man, did you write all this since I first posted the list or what? No offence, but I dont have the will to read it all
    I used the prepared doctrines for Tallarns in the codex (Hardned Fighters, Priests, Sharpshooters, Light Infantry and Rough Riders) but I dropped the Hardned Fighters in a combat patrol, its to exspensive.
    I just thought if anyone had some advice to make it more "fluffy" or have some advice for other troops and such.
    I also asume that you havnt read the Tallarn Desert Raiders fluff. Its one of the oldest regiments, coming from the dessert world of Tallarn. They where more active in 2ed and when 3ed came, their models where dropped from production. You can probarley find fluff if you search for it on goggle or something
    I like the sentinels cause they are fast and light, just as the Tallarns, so I think they fit well
    Last edited by Da Mighty Camel; October 7th, 2005 at 13:18.

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Mighty Camel
    En svensk :tongue:

Man, did you write all this since I first posted the list or what? No offence, but I dont have the will to read it all
    I used the prepared doctrines for Tallarns in the codex (Hardned Fighters, Priests, Sharpshooters, Light Infantry and Rough Riders) but I dropped the Hardned Fighters in a combat patrol, its to exspensive.
    I just thought if anyone had some advice to make it more "fluffy" or have some advice for other troops and such.
    I also asume that you havnt read the Tallarn Desert Raiders fluff. Its one of the oldest regiments, coming from the dessert world of Tallarn. They where more active in 2ed and when 3ed came, their models where dropped from production. You can probarley find fluff if you search for it on goggle or something
    I like the sentinels cause they are fast and light, just as the Tallarns, so I think they fit well
    Aye, I did write that as soon as I saw your post. I usually avoid the armylist section, but I was bored today.

Just because the doctrines are in the back of the codex doesn't mean that you have to use them for every squad, I'd leave them to the squads where they might do some good, as I said in my first post.
    I did leave some tips on how to make it more fluffy, or atleast, fluffy excuses to make the list stronger gamewise aswell. Do do hope you read my post later though, since I think that will improve your list.

And I still say that rough riders are more fluffy for Tallarans then Sentinels are.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

525 (x8)

Yeah I know, but they are damn hard to convert! I have to convert at least 20 models so I dont want to convert 10 Rough Riders. Of course, when I get a larger army, they will be a obvious choice! They are cheap, fast and hard-hitting.

+ Reply to Thread