[1500] Iron Hands - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

[1500] Iron Hands

Traits

Advantages:
    Scions of mars
    Heed the wisdom of the ancients

Disadvantages:
    Eye to eye

HQ (220 points)

Techmarine commander with bolt pistol, power weapon, servo harness and bionics
    4 x gun servitors with heavy bolters

ELITE (479 points)

Venerable Dreadnought
    twin linked lascannon and missile launcher, extra armor, smoke launchers and tank hunter.

Venerable Dreadnought
    twin linked lascannon and missile launcher, extra armor, smoke launchers and tank hunter.

Venerable Dreadnought
    assault cannon and DCCW, extra armor and smoke launchers

HEAVY SUPPORT (371 points)

Venerable Dreadnought
    assault cannon and DCCW, extra armor and smoke launchers

Venerable Dreadnought
    assault cannon and DCCW, and extra armor

Dreadnought
    assault cannon and DCCW and smoke launchers

TROOPS (350 points)

Tactical squad
    Seargent with bolter and chainsword
    9 marines with bolters

Tactical squad
    4 marines with bolters
    1 marine with missile launcher

Tactical squad
    4 marines with bolters
    1 marine with missile launcher

FAST ATTACK (80 points)
    Land speeder tornado
    Assault cannon and heavy bolter

TOTAL: 1500 points

Well this is my iron hands list.... I'd appreciate any advice I can get for it because I'm honestly not sure whether it has any merit or not. But I do love the dreadnought and techmarine minis and ever since I saw heed the wisdom of the anciens in the SM codex I've wanted to field an army with 6 dreadnoughts. So, fire away...

"You challenge me knowing that I am Xiahou Dun!?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x4)

Couple problems:

Every dread needs smoke launchers and extra armor. Absolute must have.

Every sergeant should have a bolter. 1 extra normal attack in close combat wont do anything for you. Better to have the ap5 bolter shots at range.

Missile launchers should be lascannons.

I personally belive your HQ to be a masisve waste of points. A) The techmarine really isnt that great. and gun servitors die way to easilly to be of any use.

Aside from that I just want to let you know that running 6 dreads is incredibly risky. They are to easy to knock out in one shot. The armies people bring where I play would would make a mess of this by turn 3. Id consider going with fewer dreads in such a low point game.
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Thanks for the comments chaos.

The extra armor and smoke launchers on every dread is of course a good idea, guess I'll drop the bionics on my techie or a marine from one of the small squads. Don't know why I didn't think of giving the seargents a bolter, I suppose in my mind seargents have always been synonymous with boltpistol and chainsword but I'll do that too.

I'd rather keep the missile launcher for a few reasons. Firstly I'm scrounging for points as it is, second I don't really want them to be an overt anti-tank squad, just be able to if they have to. plus I hate lascannons, just hate the way they look, especially compared to the missile launcher mini.

You're probably right about the HQ but that's what the iron hands have and I wanted a relatively characterful army so I figured I'd take him, kit him out as best I could and see how it goes. I'm sure I can find an effective strategy to use him.

and yeah, I know it's a risk but any army I make is likely to be a risk because I like making weird lists like this (my first concept was an SM army with as many plasma weapons as I could possibly fit in) just something to make other people say "whoa" , also I can't quite see how a venerable dreadnought could get killed in 1 shot, well okay I can but I it's a bit of stretch to say they could be easily killed in 1 shot.

thanks again for the comments, keep 'em coming..
    "You challenge me knowing that I am Xiahou Dun!?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Found it. Whew.

Well, you're list looks better than mine, from a tactical standpoint. For comparison, here it is:

HQ: Techmarine w/ bolt pistol, full harness, and the other junk he comes with, plus four Gun Servitors w/ 3 heavy bolters and a plasma cannon (wanted one).

Elites: 3 Venerable Dreads w/ Furious Assault (2 w/ assault cannons, CC weapons, and heavy flamers; 1 w/ assault cannon, CC weapon, and storm bolter).

Troops: 2 7-strong Tactical squads w/ Vet. Sergeants in Termie armor (1 w/ power weapon and combi-plasma gun; 1 w/ lightning claw and combi-meltagun), a missle launcher each, 1 w/ plasma gun, and 1 w/ meltagun.

Heavy: 3 Dreads w/ Tank Killer (2 w/ lascannons and missle launchers; 1 w/ multi-melta, CC weapon, and storm bolter).

Won't win me any games, but I thought I'd try to be fluffy, and I'm prone to taking things like plasma cannons for no reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the 6 ven. dreadnoughts... They aren't as bad as everyone thinks. I made 16th place out of 30 people at a tournament with this list. My dreadnoughts at the most usually start taking big hurts during turn 5 and 6 if at all. Yes i know 16th place is still pretty bad but still.
    Last edited by IronFather0; December 30th, 2005 at 15:14.

+ Reply to Thread